🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dendad
    Participant

Hello. We’re currently feeding our Chihuahuas FreshPet Vital Beef/Buffalo and Chicken. We thought by buying expensive dog food, we could forget about worrying that we were feeding stuff that would hurt them. However, we recently heard that there’s a problem with mold in FreshPet. We’ve thrown out some because it just didn’t smell right.

So we want to start making our own dog food. The recipe I found has Chicken, Chicken Broth, Sweet Potatoes, Baby Spinach, Coconut Oil and rice. I might add other healthy vegetables later on. It’s cooked in an Instant Pot (my favorite appliance of all time).

We would appreciate any comments on those ingredients being bad or good for my dogs.

#152607 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You can buy supplements at BalanceIt.com to make a homemade recipe complete. Just according to the ingredients you listed, the food is not balanced.

#152947 Report Abuse
    dogsforever123
    Participant

I think it’s a great idea that you want to start making dog food for your pup! I don’t there’s anything harmful or unhealthy about the ingredients you mentioned, but as the person above me said you should look into adding some supplements to your dog’s diet just to be safe. There’s plenty on the market with things like CBD oil, flax seed oil etc. In fact, there’s a wellness protocol that uses flax seed oil and cottage cheese. It’s based on the work of Dr. Budwig and many dog owners have seen positive changes in their dogs. Plus there’s even a peanut butter variety so your dog will love it! You should look into trying supplements like the Budwig protocol to make sure that you’re giving your dog a well rounded, healthy diet. Best of luck!

#154258 Report Abuse
    Chipy
    Participant

Hi DanDad,

I completely understand your concern about commercial dog food. It’s very difficult to trust any brand nowadays while the industry is so unregulated. It’s so awesome that you are considering to prepare home cooked meals for your pups.

We switched to home-made meals years ago and it was the best decision for our dog. I am happy to share some resources that have been super helpful in guiding us to prepare balanced, home-cooked meals.

This online Recipe Maker will help you build healthy meals for your dogs with the ingredients you have available. It provides guidance on amounts of each ingredient and which ingredients are best;

https://recipemaker.peterdobias.com

Dr. Dobias has created a free Natural Diet Course which contains videos and articles full of information on this subject;

https://peterdobias.com/pages/course-rawdiet

The key is to offer a variety of both proteins and vegetables, and add essential nutrients (non-synthetic, whole-food based supplements) to help fill in any nutritional deficiencies;

Dog Essentials

I hope you find the above information useful for your beloved Chihuahuas. Wishing you a great rest of the week! 🙂
    Chipy

#154268 Report Abuse
    dendad
    Participant

Chipy,

Thank you so much for your reply and helpful information. I truly appreciate you taking the time to offer such good advice.

Bill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.