🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Lisa Z

It has been over three years since the massive Diamond product recall. Is anyone out there using Taste of the Wild? I have two young yorkie mixes and was going to try it for dietary rotation purposes to see how they like it. Been feeding Eagle Pack small breed formula for a couple of months now. Thanks.

#75668 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’ve never fed TOTW but iif you’re concerned which it sounds like you are since you brought it up, why even bother? There are hundreds of non Diamond affiliated foods out there to choose from.

#75729 Report Abuse
    Jonathan S

I feed Taste of the Wild, but I’m looking to come off it. I worry about it being farmed out to Diamond. I see a lot of high marks for it on ratings, but all the customer reviews seem to be negative… though most of those can be chalked up to people not knowing how to select the right protein source for their dog. Right now my shortlist for changing is Acana/Origen, or Fromme.

#75731 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi Jonathan- I agree with your choice to change foods. TotW is rated highly because the ingredient list is not bad, however even Dr. Mike will tell you to look beyond the ingredient list to the company and the manufactuerer to decide if the food is worth feeding. TotW has already had at least one recall under Diamond if not more and I’m sure more will come.

Orijen/Acana and Fromm are excellent choices. I have fed both Orijen and Fromm and my dog did very well on both. Also why not feed all three? Variety is excellent for dogs!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Pitlove.
    #75772 Report Abuse
    Jonathan S

Agreed! One thing to mention is that my pups are Border Collies, and they’re both under a year old, so their metabolism and tolerance are still being built up. Right now I’m feeding half raw diet (of my own making) and half kibble. I’m just looking to secure a high quality kibble that I’m comfortable with. At the moment my concerns are quality, integrity, and recipe. I spent a long time figuring out what the best/most stable protein source for my dogs are, so the kibble I go to needs to have a recipe that contains the protein source I’ve been moving toward… in this case, lamb.

In the near future I’ll be moving in a chicken direction, so that will bring up some other possibilities. I’m hoping to get them used to dynamic feeding so that I can keep their food varied and interesting for them without compromising on quality.

#75780 Report Abuse
    Lisa Z

I decided to get TOTW a try and my dogs have been very pleased so far and they have adjusted well so far over the past few days. Based on my research, TOTW has not been recalled in years and is still made in the United States, but maybe I missed a recall during my research.

I love to hear what people think about different brands and dog foods. I am a newer dog owner (two months) and have been trying to learn all that I can for my yorkie mixes (4-months and 2-years). They appear to like the TOTW salmon better than the Eagle Pack chicken and pork, but it could just be new so they are excited for now. Trying to keep my 30-lb bag of food under $50 so I might try the Wellness Complete line next.

#75782 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Lisa,

Are you buying a 30 pound bag of dog food for your two small dogs?

How long does it take you to finish a bag and how are you storing it?

#75784 Report Abuse
    Margie R

I also buy large bags….I called Orijen and asked can I freeze their food and they said no problem. Now I divide it into 5 pound bags and defrost when as needed. Cheaper.

#75841 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Jonathan- Very understandable to be concerned about the quality of the ingredients and the integrity of the company. Most of us here feel the exact same way! Orijen is argued as the best dry kibble out on the market. Champion Pet Foods are an award winning Canadian company with an excellent track record and regional sourced ingredients. Very solid choice of food. Fromm same thing. Family owned and operated out of Wisconson for over 100 years, locally sourced ingredients including their vitamin pack (according to a rep). Fromm makes a grain-free Lamb and Lentils recipe so that could be something to look into. Orijen does have lamb I believe in their Tundra formula, but that is also along with many other proteins as well, most a little more on the novel side. Orijen Puppy, Adult and Senior is chicken based and grain-free, where as Fromm’s chicken based foods as far as I’m aware are grain-inclusive.

Hi Lisa- While ToTW has not had recent recalls the manufacturer of the food (Diamond) is notorious for their recalls. That is something important to keep in mind while feeding TotW. Best to keep other choices avaiable to you and your dogs in CASE they do have another recall under Diamond.

#76143 Report Abuse
    Madelon H

I don’t think there are too many companies out there that haven’t had a recall at some point in time. I have a 14mo GSD recently diagnosed with EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency) and am feeding TOTW Sierra Mountain with excellent results. There are many GSD owners in the EPI group that have fed TOTW for years and love it.

#76144 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

There are plenty of companies sans recalls, just so you know 🙂

A recall doesn’t make me super concerned, it’s how they handle it because it tells me what the company is about. TotW is made by Diamond, who has multiple recalls, and does NOT handle them well. It looks nice on paper but there are plenty of foods of similar or higher quality from a much more reputable company

#76145 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’m betting there are as many. if not more, companies who have not had a recall.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.