So…bag of Acana bought today is from the new Kentucky plant…anyone else?++

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients So…bag of Acana bought today is from the new Kentucky plant…anyone else?++

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    texasniteowl
    Participant

My Wilson has been on alternating bags of Acana Singles – Lamb and Acana Singles – Duck for over a year, maybe 2 yrs? now. We are finishing up a bag of duck so I stopped by my local dog food store for a bag of lamb. And she let me know that it is out of the Kentucky plant now. She implied the lamb and duck formulas had no change as far as ingredients but warned that the fish based ones like Orijen Six Fish did change because of different types fish in Kentucky vs. Canada.

So first…anyone else started a bag out of Kentucky yet? Did you notice any differences?

I will probably cold turkey switch it since that is what we do between bags anyway. So hopefully all goes well.

Worst case scenario…anyone have suggestions for different foods I should keep in mind? With similar protein levels, etc.? To be honest, I would be OK with a few less legumes in it. We really liked the old formula that even had some oats in it. Though Wilson has done well enough on this newer formula even with the legumes.

#84973 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi-

I work at a store that sells both Orijen and Acana. As of right now Orijen has not changed because it is still being solely manufactured out of Canada. There is talk (and this most likely will happen) of Orijen being moved over to the DogStar plant in the future. Orijen is however about to down size their large bags to a 25lb and slightly decrease the price (which they just recently increased). What I have heard from a few reps is that a lot of loyal Champion customers are not happy with the foods coming out of the new plant. In fact a few people on the review side have mentioned finding pieces of plastic in the new Acana Hertiage line. Guess time will tell as they are probably trying to get into the swing of things.

As for Acana…If you compare the old bag to the new bag you will see not a whole lot has changed except for rearranging a few items and adding several most likely unnecessary items at the end of the ingredient list like rose hips and juniper berries.

#84976 Report Abuse
    texasniteowl
    Participant

Hmm…we will see how things go with this new bag of Acana Singles: Lamb. I better not find any plastic pieces in it! I suppose if Orijen is still produced in Canada I might have to relook into which Orijen formula to try if the new Kentucky plant Acana doesn’t go well.

I don’t think I have a bag of the old Lamb left to compare with (since we alternate and are on a bag of duck right now). I am going to go look for sure right now though.

#84978 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

From chewy.com Acana Lamb Singles:

Lamb meal, deboned lamb, green lentils, red lentils, lamb liver, apples, lamb fat, green peas, yellow peas, canola oil, algae, garbanzo beans, pumpkin, carrots, lamb tripe, lamb kidney, freeze-dried lamb liver, kelp, chicory root, ginger root, peppermint leaf, lemon balm, mixed tocopherols (preservative), dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, zinc proteinate

New formula: Deboned lamb*, lamb meal, whole green peas, red lentils, lamb liver*, lamb fat, pinto beans, chickpeas, herring oil, green lentils, whole yellow peas, sun-cured alfalfa, Red Delicious apples*, natural lamb flavor, lamb tripe*, lamb kidney*, lamb cartilage*, dried kelp, whole pumpkin*, whole butternut squash*, kale,* spinach*, mustard greens*, collard greens*, turnip greens*, whole carrots*, Bartlett pears*, freeze-dried lamb liver, freeze-dried lamb tripe, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, zinc proteinate, mixed tocopherols (preservative), chicory root, turmeric, sarsaparilla root, althea root, rosehips, juniper berries, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product. * delivered fresh or raw

As you can see they have added a lot more ingredients most of which will not necessarily add nutritional value to the food. I do find it funny to see an entire meal you would feed to a Bearded Dragon though! (kale,* spinach*, mustard greens*, collard greens*, turnip greens*)

#84979 Report Abuse
    Melanie B

When comparing the old and the new, does the new contain less meat now that lamb meal is no longer the first ingredient and deboned lamb is. Won’t the deboned lamb move down the ingredient list once it dehydrates in the cooking process? I’m very concerned with the changes to this diet as my dog can be very sensitive to weird things. Hopefully it turns out ok. Also plastic bits in the bag is a little scary!

#87025 Report Abuse
    Nicole K

I picked up a bag of the duck and pear that came from the new plant. When we opened the bag it was saturated with a yellowish oily substance and smelled. I immediately returned it and bought a bag of the Canadian lamb and apple formula but the supply from Canada is slowly dwindling. I emailed the company and they said that the small changes in formula and the new plant may make the food look different but it is safe. However, I would not feed my dogs or touch the disgusting mess that was in that bag. I’m wondering if that was just a production line thing for a few bags or if this is the new norm. Anyone else?

#87060 Report Abuse
    Z B

I just started on first bag of Acana heritage poultry USA last week. Looks and smells fine to me and the dogs like it and are tolerating it well.

#88356 Report Abuse
    Lana A

Two months ago I went to buy Acana Duck and Bartlett Pear and store owner asked me if I want Canada made or the new one, US made. I had no idea they moved production to US and changed the formula. I got the last two 25 lbs bags made in Canada and started checking all dog’s blogs for people feed back on new version of their singles line, Duck and Pear line in particular. It wasn’t much of positive reviews, many unhappy dog parents, some reported dog having diarrhea. I called store owner and asked her how her customers who buy this formula are reacting. She said none of the them are happy, some already switched to different dog food.
    From my past experience every time when company “improve” the formula nothing good comes out of it because usually their “improvement” results in cutting corners in quality. I decided not to take a chance with the new formula and switched 2 weeks ago to The Honest Kitchen “Grain Free Turkey Recipe”. It’s more expensive than Acana and lacking glucosamine and chondroitin which I have to supplement now, but other then that no complains about ingredients and my dog loves it.

#89387 Report Abuse
    Jenn H

2 of my dogs get Acana. They didn’t have any trouble with the switch.
    My only complaint with it is that the singles don’t come in chicken anymore. They replaced it with mackerel. Other formulas have also been replaced.
    Luckily my boy was on duck & pear. They still make that and he has adjusted without incident. But I had a heads up when the Canadian bags were dwindling so I was able to slowly transition them.
    My girls were on the singles chicken. One of them I switched to the Heritage free-run poultry. She did fine. But she’s also a Lab that can eat anything without problems. My other girl has been dealing with a GI issue so she’s back on the Rx food.
    I still believe in this food. But wish they kept production in Canada. I know there’s going to be kinks in the new plant, but I still prefer food made in Canada, Thailand, New Zealand, Australia. Just seems like they have higher standards and less problems.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Jenn H.
    #89563 Report Abuse
    G D

I just received a bag of Orijen from chewy 2 weeks ago and when I started feeding my dogs within a couple days they were both scratching and digging at their eyes and head. A visit to the vet she suspects an allergy and asked if I had changed Foods recently. I went to the pet store to find another food to switch to and was told by a worker that Orijen was now coming out of a plant in Kentucky and not out of Canada. The only difference in the ingredients we could find was” natural flavorings”. Well that could be anything. I looked it up I know but was told that they come out of the same plant in Kentucky. I chose canidae duck and pear we will see how it goes. Is anyone else having an issue since the changeover?

#89564 Report Abuse
    G D

I had looked at Acana but was told it came out of same plant as Orijen so I chose Canidae

#89783 Report Abuse
    only1aileen

Like @texasniteowl (original poster – “OP”), for over a year without any complaints I’ve had my Lab on a diet of Acana Singles, alternating between Duck and Lamb and she loved it. Once I learned that there weren’t anymore Canadian bags, I decided to buy a smaller bag to test it out and slowly transition her from the last Canadian Duck to the American Duck recipe–like you would if switching brands. She suddenly was having a harder time pooping (not quite constipated, but more laborious than it should be), then I compared the ingredients (still had the Canadian bag) and saw the changes.

I trust my local Pet Club workers, and they heard mixed results–some were doing alright, and some dogs were having digestion issues from the changed recipe and added ingredients. They suggested that I try the American Lamb version to see how she did; I followed the same transition method with the same result. Plus, she has been scratching around her eyes and ears but I didn’t think much of it because of our season.

I went back to a Canadian recipe for Orijen and will just feed her a little less than I did of the Acana so she doesn’t gain weight. I will stick with the Canadian Orijen recipes until they figure out their American recipes–or until they start to ruin the Orijen recipies in the US.

It’s so bittersweet because I love that they are creating jobs in America, and I’m disappointed that it has to be at the expense of the quality that Champion produces. My dollar goes for quality 100% of the time, whether dog food (especially) or designer shoes.

#89794 Report Abuse
    Dana D

Does anyone know when (or if) Dog Food Advisor will be reviewing the new Orijen formula now made in the US??

I am in the process of transitioning my 3.5 year old black Lab from Orijen’s Canadian Adult formula to the new Orijen Original formula out of Kentucky. She’s now eating 50/50–old and new–and here’s what I see happening.

My Lab has always had allergies but it looks like she may be scratching and licking a little more than usual. I have increased her Zyrtec to twice a day (AM & PM) so we’ll see how that goes.

The one big thing I’ve noticed is that her stool is much firmer. She’s always eaten Orijen kibble and her stool has always been a little on the loose side–sometimes more than a little. Not with this US formula, though. Her stool is a lot firmer–completely normal actually–so I can definitely see how a dog that has had normal stools could now be somewhat constipated.

Orijen Customer Service [877-939-0006 if you want to call them] told me before I ordered the new formula that the only difference in the two is that there’s been an increase in the % of protein and also in the % of raw ingredients vs. dehydrated. Now that I can compare the two bags, as others have mentioned, it doesn’t look like that’s exactly true.

I have two 25-lb. bags of the US formula and 3/4 of a bag of the Canadian formula. I’m going to finish the transition and see how she does on the new formula alone. If the scratching get any worse or if she becomes constipated, we’re definitely leaving Orijen. Between their recent big price increase, now another smaller increase (when you calculate the cost /oz. for the smaller bag) and a new and possibly inferior formula, they may no longer be worth it.

#89797 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Dana-

This is the link you are looking for /dog-food-reviews/orijen-dog-food-usa/

#89856 Report Abuse
    Dana D

I must have missed it on the review list.
    Thanks pitliv!

#90159 Report Abuse
    Tim D

Sorry to resurrect an old thread – however, my bag of the fresh fish also has this yellow-ish oil in it as well. I didn’t notice it right away, it’s in a sealed dog food container – though, I can see at the bottom of the container it’s there.

Has anyone heard what this is? Needless to say I will not feed my guy the remainder of this food. I only wish I caught it sooner, we went through about a quarter of the bag before noticing.

#90226 Report Abuse
    Cannoli

Hi Tim D,

I pretty much gave up on kibble with fish ingredients. Pretty much useless when it comes to omega 3 as by the time I feed it to my pup it has already degraded.

My supermarket sells flash frozen whole sardines and mackerel at deep discount as these types of fish are not big sellers to people as these fish are on the stinky side.

Check your supermarket. You can buy these fish cheaply, they are quick to cook, and easily added to kibble.

#90284 Report Abuse
    k c

tim d. – same problem with the acana atlantic cat food… just opened new bag yesterday to begin transitioning from canadian formula to kentucky one, food looked WET there was so much oil & inside of bag was globbed & almost running with oil😝 i had just opened a fresh bag of old recipe acana which always excites my cats due to the freshness & as they all began munching i sprinkled a very small amount of the new acana on top & they all stopped eating, sniffed a moment at the new bits & walked away in apparent disgust! wouldnt touch it, wouldnt even pick around it for the original stuff in the bowl… cant say i blame them, just a small amount left my hand greasy as if i had just put on suntan oil, not happy with all the other ingredient changes either 😕 immediately removed the food, wont be feeding them acana anymore… will be getting a refund for this inferior product & have to find a better food again, very unhappy with the company & recent changes 😡

#90289 Report Abuse
    Jenn H

I hope you all are contacting Champion as well with the issues. I hate that the Canadian food is different than the American. Luckily I haven’t run into any issues. They have always been forthcoming and patient when I have contacted them. This makes me believe they are a good company. I don’t think they would want the Kansas plant producing an inferior product. It could be that they’re having growing pains. Who knows?
    It’s only partially helpful to fellow consumers when complaints are made in a forum like this. It’s much more helpful to also tell the company. That’s where the change happens.

#90300 Report Abuse
    Tim D

I contacted Champion foods and they were very responsive but I really couldn’t get an answer as to why the increase in oil. I brought the food back to my local store and they had some other reports of the increase in an oily residue. Maybe the “new” fish formula doesn’t absorb the fish oils as well. Needless to say, I picked up a bag of the Orijen original, from Kentucky, and all is well…

#90301 Report Abuse
    k c

jenn h. – i take it u mean kentucky & not kansas plant 😉
    yes iv left a post on their facebook page, have not gotten a reply thus far… will call directly if i dont hear anything soon but rather have it be logged so others are aware of the problems as well, kinda nice knowing youre not the only one when theres an issue 😔

#90340 Report Abuse
    C C

We have had a terrible, terrible experience when the Acana Pacifica that our Sheltie was on for years stopped being produced. In its place was the new US version vs former Canada produced. My dog got sick almost immediately, even though we were very slowly transitioning her over with only about 10 kibbles or less. In a short time we noticed an awful puddle of greasy “goo” at the bottom of the bad as well as in the smaller container we had put some in. It was awful, probably rancid or soon to be, and we returned it to the pet store. They took it back immediately but then suggested we try another, this time the mackerel. Our dog continued to be sick and 3 visits later to the emergency clinic now over a month later, she refuses to eat ANY kibble at all. They put her on a temporary prescription canned formula for easy digestion which she ate for awhile, but now again, not eating it. Now I am having to make rice and boiled chicken for her and she only eats less than 1/4 cup of anything and has lost 3#. Many tests and x-rays reveal no other problem other than the “hit to her liver” that bad dog food did. I have contacted the company, Champion, who refuses any accountability whatsoever other than to admit that early batches of food “appeared wet” and “the problem is being fixed”. We are really upset about what she has had to go through and want to avoid other dogs and pet parents suffering, so contacted Dog Food Advisor for suggestions. They suggested this blog and also included helpful links to other resources we can contact. Has anyone else experienced this? Granted we do have a senior dog (10) with an autoimmune disease that could make her more sensitive, but we have never had a problem like this before she had absolutely no problem and thrived on the original Canadian produced Acana Pacifica. Thank you.

#90341 Report Abuse
    Lana A

I don’t understand why DogFoodAdviser gave new Champion Dog Food made in US one of the highest rating in spite of so many complaints.
    I went to my pet store few days ago to pick up the dog food and since I know the owner, we chatted for like an hour, she told me she used to order Orijen and Acana every single week by truck load and it would be gone within a week. She didn’t order new for the last 3 weeks and still have on the shelf the ones she ordered a month ago. She told me she never had to hear so many complaints in such a short time for a single company. Main complain is dog scratching, something in new formula cause allergies. Few vomiting and diarrhea. I’m so happy that I didn’t take the chance to try the food made in US and transitioned my dog to the different brand while I had Canada made Acana.
    C C, your case is the worst I’ve heard so far and kind of similar what my dog went through few years ago when Canidae changed their formula, in addition to your dog symptoms my border collie also was pooping blood. Vet visits with all the tests cost me a lot. He was on rice and chicken for over a month. What really helped my dog was my veterinarian advise to get heavy on probiotic in addition to chicken and rice. I started my dog on Wholistic Pet Organics Acidophilus, double of recommended dosage for the first week, then went with regular recommended dosage for his size. My vet was right, I saw the difference within the first few days. Now my dog getting probiotic daily and it does wonder to his sensitive stomach.
    I hope your dog will feel better soon.

#90343 Report Abuse
    C C

Thank you, Lana A, for your feedback. We had our Sheltie on Purina FortiFlora for about a week, which she didn’t recommended for any longer period of time. And that was OK with us when we found out the ingredients of “animal digest” and other questionable things. And the “vet recommended” prescription canned dog food literally could have had road kill in it from the ingredient list (also from Purina). Ugh. We spent over $800 and our dog still won’t eat ANY dog food now, period. So she too is still on rice and chicken. It’s like this Acana issue has changed her life forever! Thank you so much for mentioning the specific probiotic, which looks very quality and something we can certainly try as well. Thank goodness her diarrhea didn’t last that long and wasn’t bloody; that must have been very scarey for you. But the other symptom we are dealing with is extreme lethargy. Her entire countenance has changed and she has zero energy to play or for walks. Very sad situation indeed and something we have never experienced before. Thanks again.

#90344 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Lana,
    Go to the review side and type in “how we rate dog food”. Complaints, recalls etc aren’t part of the review process.

#90350 Report Abuse
    Lana A

Inked Marie,

I know what triggered your response, it was when I said : “I don’t understand why DogFoodAdviser gave new Champion Dog Food made in US one of the highest rating in spite of so many complaints.”
    If this statement violates this blog terms of use, there is a more polite way to address this issue.

#90351 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I said nothing about terms of use. I told you what to type in the search on the review side in order for you to understand your question about the reason for Champion dog foods rating.

#90358 Report Abuse
    Jenn H

KC I did mean Kentucky. Sorry.
    I like to email rather than call because I then have a written history. If I do call anyone I take names and note date & time.

#90359 Report Abuse
    Jenn H

I just wonder why they only suggested she take the probiotics for 1 wk.
    My IBD dog is on Fortiflora indefinitely right now. She’s been on it before and it seems to help. I’ve also used Wysong Pet Inoculant with excellent results.

Since her last flare up she has been on prescription food along with the probiotics. Now that she has a UTI she’s on an antibiotic so I’m not about to stop the Fortiflora.

#90363 Report Abuse
    C C

Thank you, Jenn H. I will be returning to the probiotic as well when it arrives tomorrow, since I wanted to get an organic one without a lot of unnecessary ingredients (thanks to Lana). Your dog looks so sweet and I’m sorry she has had to be on antibiotics. Our fur babies are definitely next to our hearts, aren’t they? You may want to look up the prescription food on Dog Advisor as well. Mine was not well recommended and when I saw what was in it, I almost gagged. I pray your dog will go toward healthiness in the times ahead and thank you so much for your input. I’ve been very blessed with going online in various places with great people who care.

#90364 Report Abuse
    C C

Thank you, Jenn H. I will be returning to the probiotic as well when it arrives tomorrow, since I wanted to get an organic one without a lot of unnecessary ingredients (thanks to Lana). Your dog looks so sweet and I’m sorry she has had to be on antibiotics. Our fur babies are definitely next to our hearts, aren’t they? You may want to look up the prescription food on Dog Advisor as well. Mine was not well recommended and when I saw what was in it, I almost gagged. I pray your dog will go toward healthiness in the times ahead and thank you so much for your input. I’ve been very blessed with going online in various places with great people who care.

#90385 Report Abuse
    texasniteowl
    Participant

Hi everyone. I am the OP and well, I am back.

Since April, we have been thru several bags of the new US version. We alternate the Lamb formula and the Duck formula. Last Monday, the 19th, we started a new bag of the Duck formula. Well, the last 2 days, my lab mix, Wilson, has been miserable. A ton…TON…of paw licking…he had licked it so much he was limping yesterday. Today he has not been able to get comfortable. His belly is pink. His muzzle is pink. His ears are pink. And he vomited/regurgitated part of his evening meal after going outside to eat some grass.

We’ve actually been dealing with ear issues since July. But the agressive/extreme paw licking, etc. is recent.

I am concerned that it might be the food.

I am strongly considering feeding him chicken and rice for a few days and trying a different food.

I have no idea what though. We’ve been on Acana for about 2 years now so I have no idea what to try!

#90386 Report Abuse
    Jenn H

CC, thank you for the kind words.
    The dog in the avatar is actually the uncle of the dog I was talking about earlier. Sadly I lost him to HSA of the aorta. That was one of the worst nights of my life. I guess that’s part of the reason I have become so hypersensitive and obsessed with Chevelle’s health. She’s special in her own way and the living connection I still have here.

It pains me when anyone’s pet isn’t well. I understand all too well the fright, uncertainty and helplessness. Any one of us would trade places with them in a second.

I am not crazy about the ingredients of the food she is on now, but for some reason it agrees with her. I don’t know if it’s broken down more or what. It’d be nice to know why and if I can find another that yields the same results with better quality ingredients.
    When I contacted Science Diet about the ingredients and asked why they don’t use chelated minerals and source some supplements from China I got a response that had a defensive tone with the excuse that China is largest supplier of a lot of supplements and it’s cost effective.
    I’m considering going back to Wysong. She seemed to also do well on that for a good long time. They have always been really polite, helpful and open.

I hope soon we won’t need to have these discussions and our animals can finally have foods that truly maintain and improve their health.

#91098 Report Abuse
    shirley r

My dog has been eating orijin/acana on a rotaional basis for 3 years and now refuses to eat it. i have contacted them and found the only 2 foods now made in canada for the US market is Regional Red and Tundra. Regional red should now also be being produced in Kentucky as they said this was moving production in the fall. Im devistated to have to go through the process of trying to find a new food 🙁

#91102 Report Abuse
    C C

All I can very sadly say is that my Sheltie has now passed away. Can I prove it was the toxic bag of Acana? No, and I only wish I would have saved some to be tested. I am devastated, to include the indifference of the Acana company with all I have been through.

#91108 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’m sorry, CC

Marie

#91158 Report Abuse
    Lana A

CC, sorry for your loss

#91160 Report Abuse
    Jenn H

So very sorry for your loss.

I hope everyone saves their bags (and a few kibble) at least until they know the new bag they purchase isn’t causing problems with their pets.

Everyone needs to contact Champion when they suspect something is wrong. Perhaps contact the FDA as well.

#91315 Report Abuse
    Andy M

Very sorry for your loss CC. I started Acana (Pork & Butternut Squash) maybe a year ago at the recommendation of our local pet food chain (won’t mention) because I’d been unable to resolve a skin rash my dog was having. Amazingly it worked! But many months later the rash came back. When I went back in they just suggested I try another single protein since dogs can develop more allergies. Well for awhile now I’ve been alternating all the single protein versions with no success and been very frustrated. I FINALLY came across this forum and it made sense. When I went back into the pet store they said “oh yeah, we’ve had so many customers having issues”. I can’t believe this switch was made and they never mentioned it. Really disappointing and now I really don’t know what to try. They recommended a new brand with Kangaroo…but I don’t think it’s the protein that’s the issue….it’s all the new ingredients in the Kentucky version.

#91319 Report Abuse
    Lana A

Andy, I switched my dog from Acana ( Duck & Pear ) back in July to The Honest Kitchen and so far no issues. It’s more expensive but I like the quality of ingredients and my dog likes it. You can ask them for free sample and also they sell 2 lb box, which is big enough to see if dog will tolerate/like the new food before spending much more money on bigger box.

#91323 Report Abuse
    C C

After the devastation of the loss of our beloved Sheltie and the toxic bag of Kentucky produced food, we now have another Sheltie puppy to love. Can I prove the “food” is what killed her, no, and I only wish I would have saved the product and packaging to be analyzed. But I can tell you the vet at the specialist hospital we ended up taking her to said to be sure to totally change from this “food” with our next pet to avoid all we went through. We are transitioning our new puppy from what she has been on slowly over to Honest Kitchen. This is literally human grade and I would recommend it to anyone who has seriously investigated the pathetic quality of today’s dog food. I contacted Champion to tell them Katie died and they were even more insensitive than when I expressed all the issues we were having. I got absolutely NO response from them about her death. This speaks volumes to me about this company. I thank everyone for their feedback and offers of sympathy. It truly means a lot to me and to my husband.

#91329 Report Abuse
    Andy M

Thanks Lana. I’m trying this kangaroo right now (Zignature I think it’s called). We’ll see how that works, then may try Honest Kitchen.

#92595 Report Abuse
    thebigk

I was going to get the Puppy Orijen formula for my soon to be puppy, I have been researching for awhile. With all this new plant change, I think I will abandon this plan and look for another high quality alternative.

I don’t want to have to deal with changing puppy food twice.

#92608 Report Abuse
    Ann C

I rescued an Australian Cattle Dog back in early August. She had some issues with her digestive track and acid reflux (puppy mill rescue), I researched all the dog foods out there and found Orijen Regional Red. She thrived on this food, no acid reflux, great stools, and she loved it! Then my last bag she would not touch, this is a rescue dog that wolves down anything snowballs, rabbit poop etc. I have to say no all the time don’t eat that. This is not a picky dog it has been a week now and she will not eat it. I tried switching to the Origen Tundra and she got sick off it. I am so disapointed in Origen. Words cannot say. That was before reading about the reader above who lost their pet to this food!

My pet food store recomended a dog food called N&D from Italy, it is non GMO no grain 60% protein, 40% veggies and food. My dog hasn’t tried it yet, I am going to switch her to chicken and rice for a few days first after reading about this. NO MORE ORIGEN!

Again, I can’t stress enough to those of you with sick pets how sorry I am to hear that! Take care.

#92610 Report Abuse
    Ann C

I still have some of my Arnica food left that my dog will not touch. If the reader above that wanted to have it tested knows where I can have this done, I will gladly pay and send mine in and give her the results so she knows. Just tell me where to send it and give me the website address or phone # and I can figure the rest out and update when I know the answers from the lab.

#92611 Report Abuse
    C C

So sorry Ann C that you too are experiencing a sick dog from food that came from the Kentucky plant where both Acana and Origen are now manufactured. I really believe being rancid from their production process is the main issue, for whatever reason and whatever that’s worth. The best we can hope for is that if enough people speak up, changes will be made for the positive for our precious pets. Our new puppy can never replace the loss of our Katie, but we are happy to say that she is thriving on a combination of grain free Merrick Turkey and Honest Kitchen chicken, which is human grade food, and selected from a ton of research…and prayer. Blessings to all.

#92612 Report Abuse
    Ann C

Above post I said Arnica by accident the food I am referring to is Orijen Regional Red purchased end of November 2016.

#92615 Report Abuse

The Duck and Pear from Kentucky STINKS, and my dog won’t eat it. Period. It is a shame because he is VERY picky about his food, and he likes the Duck and Pear from Canada.

#92621 Report Abuse
    C C

I’m sorry Ann C, I don’t know where to have the dog food tested, and certainly regret I didn’t save mine and the bag. I would think you could go online in the area where you live or contact the federal agency link that Dog Food Advisor had given to me. I’m looking for that email and so far cannot find it, but if you email them, I’m sure they can give it to you. Thank you so much!

#92940 Report Abuse
    Laurie N

I too have fed Canadian made Orijen and Acana for yeats and my dogs did well on these foods. Since the change to the Kentucky formulas I have had nothing but problems. I contacted Champion with all my concerns and urged them to correct the problem before someone’ s beloved pet died, before it was too late. Apparently it is too late. So sorry for your loss of Katie. I know how you feel, you know it was the food even though you can’t prove it. My dog almost died after switching to the new formula. He began to have episodes of collapse shortly after he began to eat his Orijen. This progressed to collapse and seizure. He almost died the last time. I feel like an idiot that it took me so long to figure out it was the food. I had used it for many years and trusted Champion. They don’t care that I almost lost my dog. In the bag that almost killed him I found some large clumps of something so hard you could not break them with a hammer. I sent photos to Champion. They thanked me for the photos. My dogs are all off Acana and Orijen and all health issues are resolving. They were all eating dirt and drinking large amounts of water and then having accidents in the house. My close friend who also fed Acana for years with no problem started to have similar problems after switching to the new formulas. Her dog also collapsed. I can’t prove any of this was related to the food, but I know in my heart it was. I hope Champion corrects the problem before someone else has to suffer such a horrific loss. In the meantime spread the word.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 141 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.