šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 38 posts - 101 through 138 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    DogFoodie

Budget friendly is a pretty subjective term. Personally, I would consider $65 for 44 pounds affordable. An expensive food, such as Orijen at $110 for 28 pounds would be a bit of a stretch and require a bit of sacrifice on my part. I don’t know if Dr. Mike had an actual dollar per pound price in mind when he defined budget friendly foods on his site.

I do have this older Google document (you’ll need to verify current prices and availability) that breaks down foods by rating and cost per pound, that might help shed some light on different brands for you.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmNw5KB82-n_dGtyOEpVVXhPQ2tfeU1FUGdEdjVnTkE&hl=en#gid=0

#80514 Report Abuse
    martha F

Thank you for recognizing that we certainly have different perspectives on budget friendly. In the grand scheme of things, there is a range of prices on dry kibble, it would be helpful to know in what range recommendations fall. Food that is only available at pet stores, or online, do not fall into my “budget friendly” category, as I live in a rural area where we only have co-ops and livestock feed stores to choose from, shipping would not be affordable. The tons of feed being sold locally are marketed to hunters/working dog owners, feeding large numbers of dogs; they are looking for “budget friendly” products. (< $.60/lb).

#80515 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

One that isn’t on the Google doc that I shared is Victor. It’s a great product that might be available at feed-type stores. I consider it budget friendly and high quality at about $1.00 per pound. .60 cents per pound is going to be pretty tricky, though.

#80518 Report Abuse
    martha F

It would be interesting to see where the bulk of the dog foods sales falls in the budget and quality recommended. I know that tons of 1/2/3 star feeds are sold at every livestock feed supplier per day. $1.00/$.60 It may not seem like a lot of $$ difference, only $.40 per pound…but when you feed 150 lbs per week, it really adds up. I do like the improvements in the food quality of dog feed; however, millions of dogs have been raised on 1 and 2 star varieties (ie. Purina Pet Chow) and perform successfully and live long and healthy lives. My feed is in the 3 star category, and the dogs are healthy and performing, I like to keep abreast of affordable improvement. With this trend away from grain based feeds, and claims of being so much better I wonder is there any research/reports showing correlation in the feeds/ingredients to “actual” performance and improved health figures?

#80550 Report Abuse
    Mary J

I only wish I could find a good dog food 44lbs for 65.00. Its what you want to give to your pet. There;s Old Roy 18.00 for a 40lb bag if you want to feed your dog cardboard.

#80602 Report Abuse
    martha F

Mary J; I appreciate that you are entitled to an opinion; however, yours is not helpful and I would probably not comment if you don’t have a worthwhile contribution. If this is what this website is about, I’m out.

#80646 Report Abuse
    Katherine L

I have been buying both (The Honest Kitchen, ChickenRecipe) and (Lotus-Grain-free Fish Recipe) I would love to see how these are rated!

#81093 Report Abuse
    ryuuhouse

A new line of budget food has hit the market. I learned this is a product of the same people behind Wild Calling dog food. There is a new ‘budget’ food out there that I do not even see reviewed here. Zoic. The food is now being offered by my local specialty feed store – and I would love to see it reviewed.

They seem to have three main versions:
    Magic Marsh with Alligator and turkey
    Seven Seas with cod and herring
    and
    Farm Fair with turkey and chicken

#81314 Report Abuse
    Linda L

While this is not a suggestion for a new food, what I think is important with regard to budget is not only quality, but feeding instructions. Higher quality food usually requires less cups to feed. With the big dog I have at 125#, this makes an incredible difference. Some of the foods on the list require 8 cups of food for him, while another requires 5. That’s a HUGE cost differential. HUGE! Thus, when I am looking at quality versus price, I have to take that into consideration. I call it the doggy serving size cost. Price per serving would be a great thing to include at some point.

#81577 Report Abuse
    Marc D

4healthā„¢ Premium dog Food

#83403 Report Abuse
    Mary H

I have 3 GSDs adults, i’ve tried several options, i’m now convinced the dry food Blue with life source bits in the 28lb bags is the best bang for my buck – considering NO grain and holistic. Its usually cheaper on Chewy.com than in retail – and they give 20% off for starting auto ship then 5% off each time after, so i have it auto shipped every two weeks.

#85673 Report Abuse
    Sue L

Good morning everyone. I just joined today.
    1 ) We’ve been feeding my daughters 16 month old shepherd/lab mix Rachael Ray’s Nutrish Zero Grain. Any feedback on that do food?
    2 ) We’re about to pick up an 8 week old shepherd & are looking for the best puppy food we can actually find in a local store. Would appreciate all suggestions

#88806 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Nature’s Domain’s Turkey & Stew and Organic Chicken with Vegetables canned dog foods.

#89289 Report Abuse
    tannis k

Lean Cuts canned dog food.. I buy it at Costco or superstore here in Canada.. .. ingredients.. fresh ground lean red beef roast and steak meat. fresh beef liver and kidney. carrots, vegetable gums.. calcium vitamin and mineral supplements and water sufficient for processing.. is whats on the label.. also prepared by tri v pet foods ltd.. in Chilliwack bc.. here locally.. where I live..

#90146 Report Abuse
    rebecca d

I recently noticed that Sam’s carries a grain free dog food under their Member’s Mark brand (I believe it was Member’s Mark). I was wondering, would you would consider reviewing it?

#90147 Report Abuse
    rebecca d

I just found that you did review the Lamb and Rice formula from Sam’s and gave it 2 1/2 stars. I’m thinking their grain free formula would rate similarly but I would still love to see it reviewed as I am on quite a budget. Thanks!

#90165 Report Abuse
    Susan W

I keep beating the VeRUS dog food drum – and will continue. On the surface, it looks expensive but when you consider the fact that your dog’s system will use if more efficiently than cheaper dog food AND that you will likely not have to feed as much in volume, it’s really not anymore expensive than say Pedigree. I checked the price against the foods at PetCo recently and VeRUS is a better quality at a slightly lower price. Also, if you use PetFlow’s auto-ship you’ll get a discount.

#93690 Report Abuse
    Steve M

4Health dry dog food at Tractor Supply.
    Any thoughts, as far as being a good budget dog food.
    60 lb Weimaraner, 2 yrs old, good health for a rescue, medium energy level.

#93716 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I think 4Health is a decent food as long as you realize most of their formulas are manufactured by Diamond. I live in the Northwest and have not been affected by Diamonds recalls and they haven’t had one for three or four years now. They have three plants and most recalls have been out of one plant affecting mostly the eastern states. I have fed 4Health kibble once or twice without issue. And I feed the canned food regularly. I’m just not crazy about our Tractor Supply Store.

I also have fed Victor, Whole Earth Farms, NutriSource, Taste of the Wild, Eagle Pack and most recently Authority with good results. Hope this helps.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by crazy4cats.
    #95149 Report Abuse
    Joy W

I am really perplexed as to why he doesn’t have Kirklands listed in the recommended budget foods. Maybe it is because you can only buy it at Costco therefore he can’t share a link? The puppy food is 4.5 starts—and is less than 1/2 the price of most of the foods I clicked on, even in his budget area. I just paid for membership, just so I could get a more in depth analysis on Kirklands (because I was so sure it would be included)….but it isn’t included. I have been feeding my dogs Kirklands brand for years, ever since I saw it on the site probably back around when it first started. Anyways, if you are on a budget–check out Kirklands. It is crazy cheap and highly rated.

#95166 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Joy W-
    I would imagine that Kirkland is not considered for the Editor’s Choice list due to the fact that it is manufactured by Diamond. Diamond has a history of recalls. That being said, they have not had one for about four years now. It seems like they have cleaned things up. They have four or five facilities and, most of the recalls have come from their South Carolina plant. I live in the Pacific Northwest and have never been affected by a recall. But, a lot of people that live in Southeast US have endured many and most won’t touch the food anymore. You are right, though, imo it is a decent food at an excellent price!

Here is their link: http://www.kirklandsignaturepetsupplies.com/

Hope this helps!

(Edit) Here is a link for Diamond’s site as well:
    http://www.diamondpet.com/faq/view-all-faqs/

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by crazy4cats.
    #95908 Report Abuse
    Monique L

Is there a budget friendly grain free puppy for bigger dogs (40-60 lbs) on the Editor’s Choice List?

#95928 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Monique-
    It does seem like most of the foods acceptable for large breed puppies include grain. Is there a reason that you are looking for a grain free food? I feed my dogs both with and without grain kibble. I don’t think food that uses peas, potatoes or tapioca are necessarily better than food that uses oatmeal, rice, corn and/or millet for its carb. Unless, of course, the dog has an intolerance to one of those.

Keeping your pup lean and feeding a food with the right calcium level is of the utmost importance, however, for a large breed puppy.

Of the foods on the EC puppy list, I’ve fed Whole Earth Farms and Eagle Pack with great results. Dr. Tim’s and Fromm also get high marks from other posters on this site.

What kind of dog do you have and how old is it?

#95929 Report Abuse
    Monique L

We don’t have the puppy yet and will get her in a couple of week’s but I’ve heard that a lot of dogs don’t do well with grains so I was trying to be pro-active to see what my choices are. I have purchased a small bag of the Eagle Puppy food for now and will see how she does with it. When we get her she will be 4 1/2 months and is a Benedoodle.
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully we don’t have a problem.

#95951 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Monique-
    Is that a cross between a Poodle and a Bernese Mountain Dog? I can’t imagine anything much cuter than that! Good luck to you. I hope the Eagle Pack puppy food works out for her!

#96012 Report Abuse
    Monique L

It is a Bernese and Poodle mix.

#97212 Report Abuse
    Tracy M

I am new here so I apologize ahead of time as I feel certain I am posting this question in the wrong place. Please let me know where/how to post it properly. I am wondering about anyone’s experience/knowledge with Nutro Wholesome Essentials (dry) for dogs? While there are quite a few Nutro types of food listed in A to Z, I am not finding this variety of Nutro anywhere on this website. Thanks

#101713 Report Abuse
    Lewis F
    Participant

We use Orijen Puppy. We have a 9 month old Cavapoo that started on Diamond natural Puppy and we transferred over to Orijen. Sophie has done great on Orijen and our vet says she can come off puppy food at one year, so we have started the slow transition to Orijen Original. All is going well!!!

#102520 Report Abuse
    Ranelle B

Spot Farms Dehydrated Chicken & Whole Grain. So far, the dogs seem to love it. https://spotfarmspet.com/

#106030 Report Abuse
    lauren b

Victor Dog Food didn’t make the cut, but is a more economical 5-star way for me to feed our foster dogs quality food.

#106035 Report Abuse
    anne a

Hi Lauren, I use Victor Yukon in my rotation for 5 rescues. It is under “Other budget friendly” dog foods.I know a dog sanctuary upstate NY that buys it in bulk (purple bag) & does very well for them also. My dogs do very well on it & love it. I started usind Drs.Foster & Smith canned food as a topper & to hide medications in- it is also 5 star & first few ingredients are meat.fish. I guess it has other ingredients that may keep it from being editors choice budget friendly or no report from the company? Maybe someone else on here will know

#108700 Report Abuse
    michael z

Diamond lamb &rice for large breed puppies all natural with lamb and rice as the first ingredient $45 on chewy $29 at co-op for a 40lb bag

#109123 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Did you try the “contact us” button at the bottom of the page?

#109130 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I had to look too, C4C to make sure the ā€œcontact usā€ link was still at the bottom of the page. It is.

Merry Christmas to you!

#109134 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Thank you, Marie. Same to you.

#109148 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Hi Joyce,

I’m sorry you had trouble contacting us. Our Support Desk never received any messages from you. A full refund has been issued and your account has been closed.

Since you posted your personal email address and to protect your privacy, I have removed your comment.

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful holiday and a Happy 2018.

Mike

#112290 Report Abuse
    Bethany M

I found a new grain free food carried at our local pet store (PetSense). It is a chain store I believe, but maybe regionally locates. I like them bc they have a buy 10 bags get 1 free.
    The brand is called True Source. I would love to know more about it and see if it is a good option.
    Thanks.

#116745 Report Abuse
    Takela E

Have you considered WholeHearted for the budget friendly list? I’m in part wondering where it falls as far as a company report goes. On the surface it seems like a good food at a good price. But I always wonder!

Viewing 38 posts - 101 through 138 (of 138 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.