šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Cherylak
    Participant

My dog is currently on Hills Prescription WD canned for diabetes. I am searching for another food to give him. I bought a couple of cans of 4Health dog food but not sure if it is a good choice. If anyone can share what they feed their diabetic dogs it would be very helpful. He also gets 4 health small bites small bites. Thank you.

#24061 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

A low carb/high protein/moderate fat canned food (5 stars list) would good unless you want to try raw food. Dogswell Nutrisca is certified low glycemic and they have a new food that is even lower glycemic than Nutrisca called LiveFree (kibble and canned). http://www.dogswell.com/livefree

You might also want to contact Merrick as they used to have certified low glycemic canned foods too but it’s been a few years and the formulas are different.

I can’t ever get this site to work lately as the scroll bar is stuck (maybe it’s just my computer)
    http://www.gripetfoods.com/CertifiedDogFoods.htm

#24063 Report Abuse
    Cherylak
    Participant

Thank you for your response. I went to the Dogswell link above. Unfortunately there are no stores available even within 100 miles from my home who sells it. I sent an email to inquire about purchasing it directly from them and what the cost would be. Thanks for your response.

#24087 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Dogswell and Merrick cans might be available online from sites like wag.com or chewys.com, etc. Usually if you spend a certain amount free shipping will be available. Hope that helps. I use 4Health cans with success, but I can’t say how they might affect a diabetic dog. Perhaps your vet could help you with that. On a side note, I know this is not your dog and every dog is different but my sister-in-law’s Westie is diabetic and he eats 4Health grain free and 4Health cans.

#30171 Report Abuse
    RedsRock302

Did you have any luck with this? I also have a diabetic dog and we are having problems regulating her blood sugar. We found out she was diabetic a year ago and the vet put her on the Science Diet Prescription W/D canned food ( I am not a fan of this food, but thought I would try it). Recently we are noticing that her blood sugar is still in the 400’s at around 3pm. I feed our other dog the 4health dry food, which has great reviews on this site. I need something low on fat, lower on carbs, and a decent level of protein as she is losing some weight. I am in the same boat as you in trying to decide on the best food for her.

#30749 Report Abuse
    MinPinMom

Redrock302, I understand what you are going through. I have a 9 year old Min Min (Taz) diagnosed with Diabetes July 31, 2013. levels started at 560. But now his levels bounce from 150-199, 200-292, to 199-236. I can’t get 3 weeks in a row with a level under 200. This is one of the worst battles for a fur baby. Overweight at 27 pounds, but down now to 24 which I am glad to see, but trying to get him to his ideal weight of 18. No Hills diet because he has been grain free since prior to his Diabetes due to skin problems. I try cooking for him chicken, eggs with cheese, or even turkey burgers even buying 95% meat wet foods as a topper. He will eat one day, but not the next. I lay with him coaching him to eat so he can take his insulin. He is on 10 units 2x per day. I can’t find a dry and wet food that he will go crazy over so I won’t have these battles. We fight numerous ear problems. Meds at least once per month. Just when you think he is in the clear he starts with the ears again. I can’t stand to watch him not eat because he needs his insulin as I am afraid his levels will never stabilize and the Vet will only increase his insulin. But what is the use if he won’t eat. Any help out there would be a blessing.

#30763 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

For the price of the latest low glycemic foods (kibble and canned like LiveFree and Orijen), you might try feeding raw food like Darwins or Instinct, Bravo, etc. You might even ask the vet about incorporating something like the Yeast Starvation Diet which only has meat, eggs, oil and a vitamin. It might be possible (cost-wise) to feed a min pin a freeze dried raw diet if frozen raw is something you don’t want to feed.

http://homemadedogfood.com/yeast-starvation-dog-food-recipe/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.