🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 151 through 161 (of 161 total)
  • Author
    Bobby dog

Hey C4c:
    BD, B dog they are all fine with me. Bobby seems okay eating THK once or twice a month which is fine. I should be able to use it by the expiration date. Glad I tried it at that price, now I know.

Bobby’s only a little over 40 lbs and he’s not very active in the summer so he tends to gain a pound or two if I don’t pay attention. He’s just like me except I tend to gain a pound or two all year long. So I increased the length of our walks, scaled back his meals just a little, and have been feeding one egg a week this past month. I am going to resume feeding two eggs when he gets more active in the cooler weather. I just had to tweak a few things for his ABC diet, but I still am very happy with it and will continue to feed it.

With the size of your dogs the amount of eggs you are feeding sounds appropriate. I use Bobby as a pillow all the time. lol

Please let us know how the SSLL mix goes with you and your dogs! 🙂

#49634 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Bentley doesn’t like THK made straight for more than a day in a row. He also doesn’t like it too thick. God forbid the dog actually have to work for his food (rolls eyes). He doesn’t mind it, though, as long as its not too thick. He’ll eat it, but you can see that he’s not overly happy about it lol He happily eats it when I mix the rest of his canned food in with some every other day, though. Maybe it doesn’t taste meaty enough on its own?

I haven’t tried eggs yet, no. I don’t know how much to give him. He’s so little, only about 7 or 8 pounds, I can’t figure out how to feed him! I’m so used to my dogs where I just throw some food at them and adjust accordingly to their weight every few weeksLOL I also want to give him a fish oil pill like I give the big dogs every day, but again, he’s just too little for me to know much to give him and how often. Back to the eggs, I’d rather give him a raw one, so that it mixes nicely with his canned and THK (and I don’t have to screw with trying to not add too much water lol), but I know that too much raw egg can prevent them from absorbing protein, or something. I used to give the other dogs raw eggs every night before I realized that! Whoops! LOL

Whats the most cost effect pre-mix? I was looking at Urban Wolf, and thats pretty expensive. I don’t know how $50 a month (at the least!) would go over for mom. How do you guys like PureFormance by Grandma Lucy’s?

http://www.chewy.com/dog/grandma-lucys-pureformance-grain/dp/46165

I’d have to look a little more into it, because I recall their complete mixes being really low calorie, and a dog Bentley’s size would need a whole pound of it, which seemed crazy, but for now, the price point is good, and might be a good choice. I like that something sugary isn’t the first ingredient, given his yeast problem (Urban Wolf starts with carrots, and others I’ve seen start with sweet potatoes or white potatoes).

The Urban Wolf, how much does a 3lb bag make?

I’ll also be looking at Sojo’s, but I think thats low calorie, too. And I’ll see about SSLL, as well 🙂

#49635 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Ok, never mind on the Grandma Lucy’s. He’d have to eat 3/4 of a cup of the mix PLUS 3/4+ of a cup of a protein. Yikes! Urban Wolf might not be too bad, then.

I’m going to email them and ask:

How many cups of prepared (including protein sources) food does a 3lb bag make?
    How would you recommend the pre-mix be made for a dog that needs a low carb diet?

What else? I feel like I’m forgetting something… lol

Off to look up SSLL!

#49649 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Akari-
    According to Steve Brown (SSLL), it is the egg whites that can interfere with the body’s ability to absorb the biotin in the yolks if not lightly cooked. But that is only if feeding many raw eggs or feeding more whites than yolks. He recommends lightly cooking while keeping yolks in tact. Dogs Naturally magazine recommends feeding them raw to avoid ruining the good stuff in the egg whites. They say that there is enough Biotin in the diet to not worry about it. So, who knows? You just have to go with your gut on this one! 🙂 But you are right, you’d probably only want to feed a dog that small one every other week or so.
    How is the hunt for the perfect premix going?

#49654 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

It’s raining again, Bobby’s sad. 🙁

Akari:
    aquariangt recommended Sojos pre-mix earlier in this thread; maybe catch up with agt and ask about it. Are you planning on feeding a pre-mix for each meal? Or will you be rotating canned with a pre-mix daily or weekly? Feeding a pre-mix a few meals a week rather than for an extended time would help keep the cost down and provide variety.

I posted links about eggs & fish oil on page 4 of this thread on 6/25/14 @ 2:14 a.m., to Anita that you should check out. Looking at info I have about feeding eggs I would feed a dog that size ½ egg/week; or as C4c suggests 1 egg every other week. Maybe someone else will have a recommendation for you. /forums/topic/maybe-its-time-for-a-diet-change/page/4/

Here’s a few links to fish oil supplementation, brands, and dosage. The link from Tufts contains information on how much to dose pets with heart disease; I only used the information from them to find a brand of fish oil with certain %’s of EPA & DHA and to help determine dosages for my cats’ and Bobby’s weights:
    http://dogaware.com/diet/supplements.html#fishoil

http://vet.tufts.edu/heartsmart/resources/omega-3_supplementation.pdf

#49713 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Hey guys!

Thanks for clearing up that egg info, C4C. I knew it was something along the lines of preventing some nutrient from being used.

The hunt for the “perfect” premix is going terrible! LOL I like the price point of SSLL, but not knowing how to mix it (no instructions on the site that I could find), I can’t decide yet. I do have to narrowed down between that and Urban Wolf, though. These both look like the best options for Bentley. I didn’t like how either of Sojo’s premixes looked. Have you gotten your SSLL, C4C? I gotta find out how it’s prepared before I make a choice… Lol

I haven’t thought about if I’ll do all raw premix meals, or go between canned and raw premix. I’m not so sure I’ll do completely raw, either. I may par-cook the meat, just to brown it up on the outside, or whatever. Don’t really know yet.

I will look into those links, Bobby Dog, thanks 🙂

#49719 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

BTW, this is the fish oil I use:

http://www.naturemade.com/supplements/cod-liver-oil

#49722 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Akari-
    No, I have not received it yet. I will try to contact them if it doesn’t show up today. It’s been almost two weeks since I ordered it. I agree, not too much info on their website. I was planning on just using ground turkey with the mix once a week.
    I have emailed him twice with questions and he has responded both times within 48 hours. I’ll let you know how it goes if I ever get it. LOL!
    I have been feeding sardines once or twice a week instead of adding fish oil. I got frustrated on trying to figure out which oil to buy and how much to give and if I had to give vitamin E with it too or not. Glad you found something that works for you!
    Take Care.

#49737 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

For sure let me know when you get it! I’d really like it if it mixed similarly to Urban Wolf, because the price is great, and I’d love to get him on the best diet possible. I’ve been putting off premixes in the past because of the price point, but I have some hopes for this one.

#49913 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Guys-
    Well, I finally contacted the See Spot Live Longer company about my order. They apologized and said that it got lost in a spam folder. I thought that was strange as they charged my credit card Aug 6. The same day that I ordered it. They didn’t lose my credit card #! LOL! So, they said they would send it immediately and gave me a coupon for $4.50 off my next order. I’m a little frustrated because I was excited about trying it. I guess I’ll give them another chance. I hope it gets here soon.

#49915 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Hopefully you get it soon! He seems careless, doesn’t he? I dunno… Lol I’d like to order some, but Bentley is about out of food, so I can’t be waiting around or 3 weeks while he decides when he wants to ship my order or not lol

Let me know when you get it, and how the instructions look. It sounds intriguing, but I’m unsure about his costumer service skills.

Viewing 11 posts - 151 through 161 (of 161 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.