šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    glsharp
    Participant

i need to find a low fat diet for my dogs. i have several so i want to get something that wont cost an arm and a leg, but that is not too fatty because several of them have age on them. please advise me as to what i need to look for on the label as to what percentage of protein, fat and fiber and wetness i need to look for. i would appreciate any input. thanks

#15403 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

I have found that with having 2 over weight dogs and I have put them on low fat diets that did not work so IMO you have to feed only the recommended amount for what weight your dog would normally be. If you free feed it is like us eating whenever we feel we are hungry and or bored. What kibble do you feed and how much and what size dogs?

#15405 Report Abuse
    glsharp
    Participant

i have yorkies and an afgan. the problem was one of the yorkies had pancreatitus and they said it was because of high fat, he gets no table food and i had been feeding pedigree. it did not affect the other dogs and i have 2 smaller and older than the one that was sick. so that is why i was looking for a low fat dog food.

#15407 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi glsharp –

Given that you’ve been feeding Pedigree some low fat foods I’d recommend that would fall roughly in the same price range would be: 4Health Healthy Weight (8% fat), 4Health Lamb and Rice (12% fat), Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice Light (6% fat), Fromm Classics Mature Adult (11% fat) and NutiSource Weight Management (9% fat). Walmart sells a decent quality canned food called “Ol Roy Healthy Mix” that come in plastic tubs and have only 9% fat. You’ll probably want to keep the fat at 12% or less. 4Health can be purchased at Tractor Supply and most of the other foods can be readily found in feed stores and online.

#15410 Report Abuse
    glsharp
    Participant

the vet gave me a link to an online calculator and said i want the following result after i put in the percentages: the percentages are crude protein, min % ——-crude fat, min%———-moisture, max %———-fiber, max %———–and ash, max% whatever that is. They gave me the hills prescription diet i/d low fat food. she told me when i did the calculations thru this calculator i need to get 24% protein, 19% fat and 56% carb… i am having a terrible struggle with this. like i said previously i would like a food within this range that i can give to everyone…i have chosen several with the lower % of fat, but when i calculate the other factors, my results are too high ???

#15411 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

To calculate protein or fat on a dry matter basis:

100% – % Moisture = % Dry Matter
    (% Fat/% Dry Matter) X 100 = % Fat on a Dry Matter Basis
    (% Protein/% Dry Matter) X 100 = % Protein on a Dry Matter Basis

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.