🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Amy
    Participant

I am looking for a new food for my dog. I am looking for a highish quality that has a limited or no recall history. She was on Innova for a long while, but switched to Halo. She’s been on it for about six months and now has gas, but otherwise she really enjoys it. Is there a supplement (probiotics or something?) that can help with the gas?

I’d like to be able to find something that is available at a pet store, preferably, or can be ordered online (that isn’t too pricy) and isn’t perishable (if it has to be delivered from online).

Thanks if anyone can help. I am happy I found this site also has a forum! 🙂

#18619 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Yes probiotics (preferably a multi-strain probiotic) will help with gas. Also digestive enzymes. I give both to my kibble feeders couple times a week. I don’t believe Nutrisource has had recalls. You can find this in stores and online. It’s mid-priced. $50 for 30 lbs and is mid-protein range. I feed the grain free recipes to my foster dogs. They don’t have gas issues with this food even though some of them don’t get supplements. For probiotcs I have mercola brand and Dr Langers by Swansonvitamins. I also give kefir sometimes instead. It’s in the milk section at the grocery store. Some people make their own kefir too.

#18624 Report Abuse
    Amy
    Participant

Thank you!

#18626 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I think the new 4Health Grain Free is budget friendly too and not made by Daimond. Also the new Racheal Ray Zero Grain made by Ainsworth. Also Hi-Tek Naturals Grain Free and Victor.

#18634 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I wanted to comment on your perishable comment: I have ordered raw food from two different online places and both arrived frozen solid.

#18637 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m using Dr Tim’s Kinesis with one of my dogs and she looks great. It is made at Ohio Pet, which has never had a recall. Our other dog is on Horizon Pulsar right now and she is doing very well. I order both from Petflow.
    Victor is another dog food with no recalls that is reasonably priced.

#18638 Report Abuse
    Amy
    Participant

Thanks for all the suggestions!

#18643 Report Abuse
    bruno
    Participant

Hi Amy, you probably have dozens of foods to try, yet I would like you to check out another one: California Gold Small Dog Pet Food, from Pugzoo.com. You did not mention your breed. This was formulated for pugs by an extremely knowledgeable pug person, but it is good for all breeds, just a bit more expensive (quantity-wise) if you have a large breed. It is one of the few that is truly completely natural, no processing at all–just grains, vegetables, minerals and vitamins. There is an introductory offer for first-time customers and free shipping. They also have a digestive enzymes product and no recall. Thanks!

#18679 Report Abuse
    Gemma60537

Hi Amy, I’m a Lab mom and I swear by Canine Caviar. I only learned of them 2 years ago from our friend/breeder, and it’s all my 2 year old lab has ever eaten…in the womb, through puppyhood, and to this day. The dry kibble has never had a recall and they are super cautious about their product. I LOVE it! We switched to a different organic brand for about a week when our dog was about 6 months because we have to special order the Canine Caviar…within that week he lost his shiny coat, so back we went, happy to special order it! We just stay a bag ahead. 🙂

Oh, and he smells amazing, breath, body, no doggie gas, and he doesn’t get bathed with shampoo but once or twice a year!

#18685 Report Abuse
    Amy
    Participant

My dog is a 50 pound mutt. She has a wider build. Maybe Rottie like build?

#18686 Report Abuse
    bruno
    Participant

That’s one solid mutt! Yet, a sweetie I am sure. That food is recommended for up to 40lbs so it would not be in your “budget-saving” request. Still a wonderful food for all others. Thanks!

#18761 Report Abuse
    Amy
    Participant

😀 Yes, very sweet. Loves children (gets a case of the body-wiggles and licks their faces).

Probiotics seem to be working well, at the moment. 🙂

#20477 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Just adding — Fromm has never had a recall, 100 yrs family owned. Prices as low as about $1/lb for their classic adult formula.

Plain high quality natural yogurt should help w/gas (or any diarrhea ever); mine has several live active cultures. My organic raw greens supplement contains digestive enzymes & pro/prebiotcs and so does the food I feed, which I’d think most superpremiums *should* (but check to be sure). Does the Halo not?

Any idea what’s causing the issue in the Halo??

I feed and recommend Timberwolf — you could try either the moderate protein Classics line or the higher protein Platinum line. I recommend rotating among their formulas, which are all excellent. All are very highly digestible, more than most foods, which should also help avoid gas. I order directly from their website.

#22304 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

holistic health extension is the only dog food ive researched where I cant find having any call backs ever, it is the only food I would feed my animals cat/dog

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.