Large and Giant Breed Puppy Nutrition

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Large and Giant Breed Puppy Nutrition

Viewing 50 posts - 2,201 through 2,250 (of 2,506 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer

Traci T. Congratulations on your new family members, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Economically priced large breed food is harder to find, but other owners of giant breeds (I’m a proud mom of 3 Great Danes) have spoken very highly about the Costco large breed puppy food. The nutrient you most want to monitor is the calcium levels – which should be around 1.1%. Good luck to you and you lucky kids and pups! Jen

#100875 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Traci-

I would not keep them on Nutro Max large breed puppy for too much longer. I had contacted the company a while back asking for the max values of calcium and phosphorus on their max large breed puppy and come to find out the levels were much too high to be appropriate for growing large breed. As far as your price concerns go $30 for a 25 pound bag of food is probably going to be a little difficult. The only one that I would probably trust at that price point would be Purina One large breed puppy other than that you’re probably not getting a good product.

#100876 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Jennifer-
    Costco has a large breed puppy food? Where did you see it?

#100978 Report Abuse
    Eric Y

Hello all
    I’m having trouble settling on a dog food. I have researched for hours on end. I tried to choose one from the calcium to kcal list the Hound Dog Mom posted but the most recent list I can find is from 2013 ( is there an update don’t list)?
    The perfect dog for for my 1 year old Dogue de Bordeaux ( had his birthday yesterday) would meet the following criteria:
    – limited ingredient since he has a sensitive stomach ( or a GI specific food, I could obtain a prescription if needed. The GI foods I can find don’t meet the other requirements, especially the calcium requirement)
    – 4 or 5 star food
    – acceptable for giant breed puppy or all life stages
    – correct calcium to kcal ratio ( I believe it’s 3.5 calcium to 1000 kcal)
    – preferably at or under the $2 per lb. mark

Can anyone help me with specific suggestions or point me towards the updated list?
    Thank you all

#100979 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Eric-

Hound Dog Moms list is likely obsolete now considering the recent revisions AAFCO made to their nutrient profiles, including their criteria for large breed puppies.

My go to food for sensitive stomachs is NutriSource. They make an excellent LBP food. I consider NutriSource to be budget friendly, so hopefully it will work for you.

#101576 Report Abuse
    Randy D

Ok, so after days of reading reviews and this thread, I finally settled on Fromm’s large breed gold puppy food. Two days in, we’re at 50/50. He loves it. I have a question-he is pooping 4-5 times every day. They’re perfect, like a warm tootsie roll, but is there an issue with him going so much?

#101581 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Randy-

The % fiber on Fromm Gold is what I consider to be fairly normal for any food. It could just be that he is still young. If you are concerned about it though, it would be worth bringing up to your vet.

#101584 Report Abuse
    Randy D

Yeah, not really concerned at this point, more just wondering. Like I said, they seem pretty much perfect. Firm enough to pick up, but not hard. I was just wondering if there was something to be alarmed about that I was unaware of.

#102262 Report Abuse
    LuckyLab

Hi guys,
    I just got a nicely bred Yellow Lab who I will be bringing home Sunday (8 weeks and 2 days old). He has had a small spell of diarrhea while with his breeder and they are getting him through. His first kibble and what he’s getting now is Diamond Puppy. I’ve heard this is a decent food and good value but the breeder told me if I wanted to upgrade she like Blue Buffalo.

Finding a new food is so overwhelming but I know the first 2 years can be so important for his growth and development. I’ve narrowed down my options to:
    -Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy (is this too much protein?)
    -Fromm Heartland Gold or just Fromm Gold (both for large breeds)
    -Taste of the Wild Puppy
    -Wellness Complete Health or Core (Puppy)
    -He’s currently on Diamond Puppy

So many different opinions, we go to the vet on Tuesday but not sure he’ll have a recommendation. We were told whatever we decide to keep him on his current Diamond food for at least 2 weeks after we bring him home not to stress his system as he adjusts then we could start slowly changing.
    Thank you so much for the help (sorry for the long post).

#102267 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Brian S-
    Congrats on your new pup! I’m OK with any of the food you mentioned, except Blue Buffalo. They have had too many current issues in my opinion. I have two lab mix dogs and they are a very fun handful!! Keep your socks, gloves and retainers picked up and out of reach!!

#102268 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Brian-

No need to be concerned with protein levels for growing large breed puppies. 20 years of research has demonstrated that protein is a non factor in proper growth for LBPs.

Of the brands you listed off Fromm and Wellness are the 2 I would be most comfortable with. Other good brands to consider are NutriSource, Precise Holistic Complete, Purina Pro Plan, Hills Science Diet or Royal Canin. The last three have all gone through feeding trials on LBPs and are formulated by veterinary nutritionists who are keeping up to date with current research on the nutritional needs of growing LBPs.

#102271 Report Abuse
    LuckyLab

I’ve heard good things about Purina Pro Plan. Always thought Purina was a lower end food but learned they have different tiers.

I’d like my male to fill out as much as possible (without being overweight). Does anything effect growth in dogs more than another (Protein%?).
    Wellness Core line for example is a much richer protein kibble.

Ill look at Purina again and narrowing down to Wellness, Fromm and 1 more.
    Thanks guys!

#102275 Report Abuse
    Jennifer

I started my Great Dane pup out on Wellness Core puppy, which is a great food, but then he didn’t like it anymore, so I switched to Orijen Puppy Large, also a really great high quality food. That gave his diarrhea so now we’ve finally settled on Farmina Puppy Max and he loves it and he’s doing fantastic on it. The cost of Farmina is more in line with Wellness, with the same human grade ingredients that you get in Orijen, so my pocketbook is much happier too.

Good luck with your pup!

#102304 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Brian-

Protein doesn’t effect their growth at all. Excessive dietary calcium and overnutrition(being fat) does.

I do understand that many people do not like Purina, however I feel that there is a lot of misinformation about Purina on the internet. I do not like all of Purina’s lines, but Pro Plan is a quality one. I appreciate a company that does their own independant research and contributes to our knowledge base of nutrition. I also really like the Purina is one of the leading reseachers on large breed puppy nutrition. As one of the other posters on here has said before and I always give her credit for this statement “you only have one chance to create a sound orthopedic structure”. That is why I would prefer to feed a food from a company that does feeding trials and conducts their own research.

#102305 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi Brian,

I think pitlove may have been quoting me as that sounds like something I’d say 🙂
    For background my current Lab is my 4th. During growth I use foods from companies that demonstrate a vested interest in canine health. For me this means feed trialing and growth monitoring above and beyond the min AAFCO trial requirements. Few companies go to this extent.

I’ve raised my last two on Purina Pro Plan and have been very pleased with the results. The breeder of my current Lab recommended Pro Plan as she found it worked best with her line. I’ve rotated in other brands but her coat does best on Pro Plan. She has a lot of coat…big rounded otter tail and a lot of bone. She is a beautiful girl. Her littermate is MBISS( Multiple Best in Specialty Show) Grand Champion Paradocs Delain’s Scrubbin in

#102311 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

I was quoting you! It’s a brilliant quote and has always stuck with me 🙂

#102363 Report Abuse
    Randy D

My son’s puppy, who I am babysitting for a time, was labeled as a lab mix by the rescue org he adopted from. I got him on Fromms LBP formula, but I’m not sure he is actually going to be that big. I, along with folks at three different pet stores we’ve been to, just don’t really see lab in him. Most say hound of some type, or who knows what.
    Will feeding him lbp food be detrimental in any way if he isn’t going to be that big?

#102364 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

No Randy, not at all. It is better to play it safe if there is even a slight chance he could be 50+ lbs at mature weight.

#102365 Report Abuse
    Randy D

Thanks luv. I kind of figured better safe than sorry. He’s 22-23 pounds now, but we aren’t real sure about his age. No real idea.

#102367 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

The vet should be able to give you a better idea based on his dentition. Have y’all taken him for a physical yet?

#102369 Report Abuse
    Randy D

He has actually been to the vet 3 times. Once for a lame front leg(which the vet in WV said was a fracture even though you couldn’t see it on X-ray); once a week later for the diarrhea caused by the vets prescription, and once when we got him back to Dallas to check his leg.
    That’s what made me change his food to fromms lbp, wondering if the leg issue might be pano.

#102381 Report Abuse
    LuckyLab

The Wellness Core may be a little rich for our blood. We are going to look at the I think we are narrowing in on feeding the Fromm LBP but I’m going to look at the Purina Pro Plan.

#102399 Report Abuse
    Eric C
    Participant

In two weeks we bring home my baby Australian Cattle Dog. My Yellow Lab is a little over a year old and she has been on Fromm Large Breed Puppy her entire life. I see that it is now a 4 star but thought it was a 5 star when we started her on it last year. My new boy will likely be just a little over 50 pounds but I think it might be wise to start him on a controlled calcium food as ACD can have hip issues. What foods in the 5 star category are the most popular here? Wellness, Orijen?

#102402 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Eric there is nothing bad about a 4 star food! Fromm is an excellent company. Far superior to any Champion product.

#102427 Report Abuse
    Eric Y

I know I asked this before, but never got any direct answer. I thought I would try again since I’m still not sure which direction to go.
    Can anyone recommend a specific dog food that meets the following criteria:
    – 3.5 g of calcium per 1000 kcal or less
    – 4 or 5 star food
    – limited ingredient formula for sensitive stomachs
    – appropriate for all life stages (1 year old French Mastiff)

#102428 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Nature’s Variety LID Turkey was on Hound Dog Moms original list, but I would contact NV and make sure the formula has not changed. Ask for a nutrient analysis on that food and plug the values for the calcium, phos and kcals into the calcium calculator on this site.

#102429 Report Abuse
    LuckyLab

I’m thinking of doing the Fromm Lbd puppy. Ruled out Purina and Wellness based on several factors. Is there anything else I should consider?

Nutro, Taste of the wild, etc.? Folks keep steering me away from Blue for one reason or another

#102502 Report Abuse
    LuckyLab

Sorry about that message. Got mixed up some how.

I’ve narrowed my choices down to Wellness Complete Health Lg. Brd. pup and the Fromm Gold lrg. pup.

Going to ask the vet today about each.

#102852 Report Abuse
    Lori P

Hi!
    We are getting our Bullmastiff puppy this week and the breeder has her on 4Health grain free puppy food. We are thinking about switching her to Fromm Heartland Gold Large Breed puppy food and Wellness Core Puppy Food. Rotating them because they are different proteins every month to 2 months. Fromm is beef, pork & lamb and the Wellness is chicken & turkey.

Wellness Core Puppy Food: Calcium: 4.0g per 1000 kcal
    Cal to P ratio= 1.5 to 1
    Fromm Heartland Gold LBP Food: Calcium: 3.0g per 1000 kcal
    Ca to P ratio= 1.1 to 1

The Wellness Core Puppy Food is pretty high in protein @ 36% min. & fat 18% min. Do you think those are too high for a growing Bullmastiff puppy? I don’t want her to grown too fast! Also, how do you feel about rotating proteins? Is it necessary? Grain Free? Again, necessary? Thanks! I can’t believe how difficult and confusing it’s been trying to find a good puppy food! Thank goodness for this site!!

#102885 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Lori-

Protein is inconsequential in the growth of any large or giant breed. Ca/Phos ratios are important and using a low energy density food (low calorie) to prevent excess weight gain. Wellness Core Puppy is approaching the safe upper limit for the Ca/kcal ratio, so I would think about reconsidering that formula if it were my puppy. Not to mention the kcals/cup are on the high side + the fat being high. Realistically that would be a puppy formula more suitable for a small to medium size breed.

As far as grain free goes, what is YOUR reasoning behind using a grain free diet?

#102904 Report Abuse
    Lori P

Pitluv,

Thanks! I will have to keep looking! What are your thoughts on rotating proteins?

My reasoning behind wanting to use grain free is to lessen the likelihood of skin/allergy issues.

Thanks again for your help!

#102905 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Grain free diets will not lessen the chances of allergies, same as grain inclusive foods won’t cause them either. My AmStaff cross can not eat majority of grain free diets on the market because he is sensitive to peas. I fed him grain free diets for the first year and a half of his life, did a rotational diet and he still has allergies due to his genetics.

The genetics of the dog is likely going to play a larger role in allergic response than what kind of food it’s fed as a puppy. Grain free or grain inclusive is moot imo. The main focus should be optimal growth.

#102912 Report Abuse
    Lori P

Thanks!

#103072 Report Abuse
    Eric C
    Participant

Fromm is not offered at Chewy anymore and we have several dogs and it is easier to go through them. The Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy does not seem to be listed as a 4 or 5 star food, yet I do see it recommended by respected people on here. Wellness Core is really nice, but it might be a little too far out of range.

#103077 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Eric-

No Pro Plan does not meet Dr.Mikes requirements for a 4 or 5 star food, but even as he says “that does not mean it is a bad food”. The star ratings on this site do not factor in a lot of good qualities that Pro Plan and Purina have. For example the millions of dollars invested in research on nutrition and growth that Purina does, including the growth of large breeds.

#103128 Report Abuse
    Tyla M

So I am looking for a grain free, large breed puppy good…aka a good that has a low calcium % and phosphorus %.. as well as appropriate fat%. …reasonably priced…ive had her for a month and she’s been itching like crazy so it may be a dairy allergy. Not sure, but vet gave me some fatty acids to see if that helps. For now I’d just like to switch to grain free (I know most allergies aren’t from grains).. any suggestions ?I’ve literally been researching for hours. I am looking at wellness grain free but it’s 1.5 calcium so. . I know that’s a little on the higher side of the safe side

#103129 Report Abuse
    Tyla M

Stupid auto correct….FOOD, not good!!

#103131 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Tyla-

This might be a silly question, but have you checked your puppy for fleas?

Also how old is your puppy? Allergy symptoms in very young dogs are rare.

#103132 Report Abuse
    Jennifer

Tyla, if you think your dog has a food allergy, you should try grain free and avoid chicken as the base protein. I read that most food allergies in dog are stemmed from chicken. The other possibility is that your dog has environmental allergies. My dog has them bad and it started when she was about 6 mos. She is now on Cytopoint injections every 8 weeks and an allergy shot weekly.

As for food. Check out Farmina Puppy Maxi. My local organic pet store recommended it to me and my dogs love it. The puppy is on the lamb formula (they have a chicken and fish one too) and my 2 adult Danes rotate between the adult Maxi flavors. It’s priced about the same as Wellness, which I have also used in the past and it’s great, but my dogs stopped eating it suddenly. I’d also recommend Orijen Puppy Large, but it’s mush more expensive.

Good luck!

#103137 Report Abuse
    Tyla M

@pitlove
    In the month that I’ve had her I have not seen one flea! Vet also checked today. When she nibbles I also look in that spot and go under her fur and see nothing. She’s a yellow lab mix so she’s light colored. I’ve also given her a few flea and tick baths, washed all her things in hot water, and she wears a tick and flea collar. That’s why I think it’s something else.
    Also, she is 3.5 months

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Tyla M.
    #103139 Report Abuse
    Tyla M

@ Jennifer,

Thank you, I’ll check out Farmina. I may try to avoid chicken in this next food just to see, also. Especially because I’ve also been giving her some boiled chicken. Oh no, I hope she doesn’t need injections!

It’s aggravating because there’s all this info. On what food large breed puppies should have but not a good detailed list of the specific foods to get.

#103141 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Tyla-

She does seem very young to be having symptoms of any type of allergies. Don’t forget, dogs get itches just like we do and it has nothing to do with allergies.

I did the same thing Jennifer suggested to you with my dog when he was a puppy. Avoided chicken and grains. Now he can’t eat any exotic meats and is highly intolerant to peas.

If you want to know for sure if food is an issue you will need to do an elimination trial. It’s a waste of time and money cycling through different foods hoping to find the right one.

#103142 Report Abuse
    Tyla M

How much fat% should a large breed puppy have in it’s food?

#103143 Report Abuse
    Tyla M

I saw the Nulo GF salmon and peas for puppies but it has 17%fat and I’m not sure if that’s too high. However, it does have chicken fat

#103144 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Lower fat and calories is better. Helps to keep them at a healthy weight. 13% fat or lower is good to look for and around 400 kcals or lower is also ideal.

#103145 Report Abuse
    A

it is an extreme high fat for a large breed puppy. And regular puppy food does not monitor calcium and phosphorus.
    I would look into a puppy food that’s large breed specific most don’t go over 14% fat and all of the ones we recommend at work and have seen best results with are a 10-12% fat.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by A.
    #103147 Report Abuse
    Tyla M

This one is for large breed puppies. Problem is I have not found a food that covers all of these things that is not $90

#103148 Report Abuse
    A

When looking at feeding grain free food just be sure and check you have no pea or potatoe protein in your food, and a lower fat.

Our favorite and foods we see the most large breed puppies on are the following at my work:

Holistic Select Large Giant breed with a 23%P and 12%F

Firstmate POF 23%P and 10%F

Canidae Large breed 23%P and 13%F

My mastiffs have done amazing on firstmate and it has actually helped tremendously bring her levels down (she has liver disease and the vet had her on royal canin and she did horrible on it)

Each cup takes roughly 4 hrs to break down so if your dogs eating 6 cups a day or something their is not enough hours for them to break it down.

Bigger breakfast and smaller dinner, same with humans you don’t want to eat a huge meal before bed time. We don’t burn and store it, feel sluggish etc.

#103149 Report Abuse
    A

Many times itching is a carb overload and she’s not burning all the food.
    Many complain about gassy pits but mine are not gassy, maybe once every few months if they get more “dog cookies” vs freeze dried meat treats.

Grain free is typically lower in fat and have no pea or potatoe protein in them.

Chicken is the most easy for them to digest, I would try a low fat and no pea or potatoe protein with brown rice as it’s a complex carb and burns slower.

#103151 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

A-

Could you explain how carb overload can cause itching or link any research studies on the subject?

Viewing 50 posts - 2,201 through 2,250 (of 2,506 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.