Ketona?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    andrea g

Has anyone heard of Ketona dry dog food or have any experience with it? It is supposedly a high protein, low-carb, dry dog food. As much reading as I have been doing lately about kibble, I’m curious about this.

#108412 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’ve never heard of it.

#113269 Report Abuse
    Kayla B

I was also curious about Ketona dry dog food. andrea g, did you find any more information about it?

#113725 Report Abuse
    Michelle S

Hi, I very much like Ketona dog food; I have corresponded with the owner, Daniel, about their Ketona dog food; I also have looked at the information – which has a ton of research behind it; and I have two Great Pyrenees adults who have separate health issues. Both need a very good food that does not contain hidden ingredients, no grains, and is based more on what dogs need to eat to remain strong and healthy; I have found it provides a healthy balance for them both. When I began looking for high protein, medium fats, and very low carbs, I started seeing how few truly low carb food there were available – even in the 5 star foods. So I have had them on this food for several months and they love it. I add a bit of homemade bone broth to each bowl as well in their evening meal. I also use a dog food called Open Farm and it is excellent as well. There is another food called Valiant (valiantpet.com) and it is formulated for dogs with cancer & other issues like seizures. They run a state of the art rescue for dogs with cancer they rescue dogs with cancer from shelters and feed them this food and take care of their medicines – instead of letting those dogs be euthanized. I am just now looking at this – it is awesome. Amazing all the research that is out there about better dog foods than what I have found in a long time. Good luck to all who are looking!

#124875 Report Abuse
    Louise D

Wow! Not a good food and crazy expensive. The first ingredient is not chicken since all ingredients are weighed prior to cooking. It is more like the 5th, 6th or 7th after it loses it’s moisture weight. The next ingredients are peas, peas and animal bedding (Oat hulls). Save your money and buy a great food like Nature’s Select or Acana.

#124887 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

You can’t tell how much of what is in the food by the ingredient label. Manufacturers are allowed to weigh ingredients at different stages of processing making it impossible to tell. They know that consumers are now checking out ingredient labels and know exactly what we want to see and can manipulate them to our liking.

Many of the dogs that have been recently diagnosed with Dilated Cardiomyopathy coincidentally have been eating Acana. Cardiologists are researching right now if there is a connection. I’d steer clear.

#147038 Report Abuse
    Daniel S

Hi there, I’m the founder of KetoNatural Pet Foods.

On the issue of ingredient commonality, chicken is BY FAR the most prevalent ingredient in our chicken recipe (and salmon is by far the most prevalent ingredient in our salmon recipe). In both cases, the meat products make up 75% or more of the formula. And, unlike most pet food companies (including at least one of the two you’ve mentioned here) when I make that claim I’m making it on a post-dehydration basis. We add our chicken to our formula AFTER it has been dehydrated, so the percentage of the formula that is chicken is not skewed by the presence of water. Even after dehydration, it’s still the case that more than 75% of our formula is chicken. Your statement that chicken is the “fifth of sixth ingredient” is completely false, I assure you. It’s BY FAR the most common ingredient and I’m not aware of another kibble on the planet that has a higher ratio of animal products to starch than Ketona (and I’ve actually written a book about this subject, so I’m quite familiar with the marketplace!).

(If you want to see this “dehydration issue” for yourself, go check out the website for Orijen by Champion Pet Foods. The company claims that most of its Orijen formulas are at least 90% meat products. But the formulas are also typically at least 25% carbohydrate. Animal products don’t contain carbohydrates. So something doesn’t add up. That “something” is the presence of water in the animal ingredients.)

On this issue of price, it is indeed the case that our food is more expensive than many (but not all) kibbles. But it’s nutritional composition is different too. We have by far the lowest carbohydrate content of any dry pet food on the market today. Carb-heavy ingredients (corn, rice, potatoes, etc.) are the cheapest ingredients. And that’s why most kibbles are insanely cheap (far cheaper than the trashiest fast food on a per-calorie basis). Because our formulas feature more animal-based ingredients and fewer carb-heavy ingredients, they’re more expensive to produce. So we have to charge a bit more. But I’ll note that (1) our prices are only about 20-25% of nutritionally-similar raw diets (the only other types of pet food products that have a nutritional content remotely similar to ours) and (2) on a quantitative basis, switching a 50-pound dog from Acana to Ketona is only likely to add $0.50 to $1.00 per day to your dog food budget. Hardly a massive change.

Regards,

Daniel Schulof
    KetoNatural Pet Foods

#147039 Report Abuse
    Michelle S

Yes – we love Ketona dog food & it is excellent. We have used it for our two Great Pyrenees adult dogs. My female does not have allergies to any of the chicken products in only this brand & we love the Salmon too. Any correspondence with the owner Daniel Shuloff is answered with great factual information and the staff also will answer any questions. The amount of research on their site & in the Taurine debate is excellent. Our dogs are healthier & doing great ! Here is a formula for determining carbs which are not healthy for dogs: How to Calculate Carbs in Dog Food
    Some pet owners seek a lower percentage of carbs in comparison to other foods whereas others want a grain-free diet. Manufacturers are not required to print the carbohydrate percentage in their food. You can estimate by taking the protein, fats, and moisture contents and subtracting them from 100 percent. Then, add about 8 percent ash. For example, a food has 50 percent protein, 10 percent fat, and 10 percent water. Subtract 70 percent from 100 percent, then subtract 8 percent, which leaves 22 percent carbohydrates. Great food!

#151459 Report Abuse
    Jane R

I stumbled across the Ketonatural site and want to run the info by my vet, but it may be something to consider for my diabetic dog. He’s always been a picky eater and never food motivated. After first accepting, then rejecting the second canned prescription food his vet recommended, we’re shopping options. He prefers kibble and this may be the answer.

#152674 Report Abuse
    Johnny R
    Participant

@ Daniel,
    id like to discuss your product with you.
    we have a senior puggle with uncontrollable diabetes and a brain tumor.
    any reply is appreciated

Johnny

#156445 Report Abuse
    andrea g

I just bought a small bag to try with my dogs. They love the taste so we’ll see how they do with digestion (they’re raw fed currently but I need to cut down on dog food bill). Just got it today.

#156906 Report Abuse
    Roger W
    Participant

This is BS. How is salmon the most prevalent ingredient when you only have salmon meal in this? You list the ingredients on your website which lists salmon followed by salmon meal, yet I just received my shipment and only salmon meal is listed on bag. There are other ingredients listed on bag not listed on your site like rosemary extract. You really should be honest about the ingredients listed. Seems like you went to a cheaper recipe but still charge the same premium price. I would highly suggest listing the ACTUAL ingredients on your site before someone sues you for false advertisement.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Roger W.
    #156914 Report Abuse
    andrea g

I just looked at my bag of the Salmon recipe and the site. Salmon, Salmon meal are listed on the site as the first two ingredients. The bag lists Salmon Meal, Pea Protein as the first two. This doesn’t make me happy.

#156915 Report Abuse
    Roger W
    Participant

Yeah there are other ingredients on the bag not listed on the site as well if you go through each. I’m highly irritated and have reached out to daniel and the company. This is outright false advertisement! Extremely irritated right now! Knew this was too good to be true.

#156918 Report Abuse
    Roger W
    Participant

Andrea, just a follow up, Daniel reached back out to me. The ingredient list on the website is correct he claims. According to him these bags were temp bags and the ingredient list is from before they dialed in the recipe. The bags are white with stickers on them, the new bags they will be using with the next production will have the same list as the website. Basically using up all the temp bags they had left over.

#156925 Report Abuse
    andrea g

Thanks for sharing that information, Roger. I spent months researching dog food. I did settle on feeding them raw for multiple reasons, one of which was low carb. I’ve had to cut back on raw because of uncertainty with my job during this covid thing so this food, lowest carb I could find, fit the bill. Not sure how I feel about this. In any case, I just hope that what they say is in there is what’s in there. I am surprised Daniel didn’t post in the forum so that everyone could see as he had posted before. Thanks again. Take care and stay safe.

#156936 Report Abuse
    Frenky C
    Participant

Just looked through Ketonatural website, seems legit for me 🙂 Exceptionally liked the blogpost about raw food benefits and the enzyme argument.

#186067 Report Abuse
    Terri W
    Participant

Is there a Ketona for puppies?

#191015 Report Abuse
    meeloun E
    Participant

Paper代写 http://australiaway.org/a/paperdaixie/ 是一个长久的行业,做的好的机构肯定有不少以前代写的同学做回头客,还会介绍人过来。因此同学们挑选这类机构的时候,必须要确定好对方的市场口碑如何,是否真的得到消费者的认可。

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.