Interceptor

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Interceptor

Viewing 47 posts - 1 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author

I haven’t been around much lately, so not sure if this has been mentioned..but..

Novartis was bought out by Elanco, and they(Elanco) are bringing Interceptor back by spring. I refuse to use combo products-ie flea and heartworm combos-so this is great news. Just wanted to put it out there in case anyone else misses it.

#66078 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

WooHoo! I have waited a very long time for this news.

#66082 Report Abuse

I was dancing a jig when I heard. It’s supposed to be a sure thing and they are taking pre orders from vets already. When they bought Novartis I believe it was mandated that they sell the Sentinel line..which meant they did not have a milbemycin product. Since they already have Trifexis as there combo line, the return of Interceptor was an easy decision.

#66094 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

BCnut tell me about interceptor. I use Heargard and nothing for fleas or ticks. Is this just for heartworms?

#66095 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Heart, hooks, rounds. I don’t know if it covers whips. It’s milbemycin. I like it better than ivermectin, no known population of resistant heartworms and no breeds of dogs that can’t take it, that I know of. It’s the heartworm part of Trifexis, nothing added for fleas or other worms. And I could get it as a tablet, instead of those horrible huge “chewables.”

#66139 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

BCnut why do you like milbemycin better? I have always used the Heartgard plus. What would be the advantage of switching? Thanks

#66144 Report Abuse

BcNut. Yes it does whips! I love it for that reason.

Weezer. . Some breeds of dogs can not have Ivermectin and there are populations of heartworm that are resistant.i have given it to over a 100 dogs per year, from the day it entered the market until when it was pulled and never had a reaction occur.

I have given it to the very young and the very old, dogs with major medical issues including epilepsy, and never a problem. I can not same the same for ivermectin.
    As BcNut pointed out the tabs are small beef flavored compared to the giant chews that some of my dogs would not eat…to the point that I stopped buy g it and instead have been giving liquid ivermectin.

#66146 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

BC and/or Melissa-
    Why was it gone for a while? Was it taken off the market?

Btw, Melissa, you’ve been missed! 🙂

#66169 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I hadn’t heard this but so glad its coming back!

#66170 Report Abuse

Thanks Crazy. Been hectic here between work and animals.

Novartis had production facility issues and had a plant shut down. Once the corrections to the facility were made and it was allowed to reopen, they simply decided to discontinue it in favor of Sentinel and Sentinel spectrum, assuming ” more is better”. Not all owners want combo products. Interceptor has one ingredient and does not treat for fleas.

Perfect for my purposes and concerns with multi products.

#66175 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Sounds good, Melissa. One of my dogs has had a couple of allergic reactions and the Ivermectin scares me with him. Heartworms are pretty much unheard of in my area and most people do not use any type of protection. But, apparently, that is starting to change. I’ll look in to the “new” product.

On another note, is there any type of oral flea preventative that you do recommend? My sister’s dog is still covered. We are having an extremely warm winter for even the Pacific Northwest. They are calling it the Pineapple Express, LOL! I only live a few miles away and my dogs are outside a lot more than hers and we haven’t had an issue. I think she needs to change his food, but she doesn’t listen. He also has frequent ear infections. But, anyway, she has been using topical meds and they are not working. I’m thinking that maybe she should resort to an oral pill to help him out, since she is not willing to do the other more natural methods.

#66233 Report Abuse

Can’t help on that. I am 100 percent against oral long acting flea products. Running pesticides through the bloodstream to get to the skin scares the heck out of me as to potential damage. I did give capstar to a stray cat on the past to quick kill a heavy flea load and then put Frontline on her. She had no problems but I would not want to do that on a monthly basis. Make sure your friend is getting it down to skin and not just fur. I split the dose half between the shoulder blades and half a little bit up from the tail base.

#66234 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Good idea on splitting the dose. I’ll let her know. Thank you!

#66441 Report Abuse
    Oleanderz

Okay, I feel like a terrible pet owner right now, but I have to ask this. Are these parasites transmitted through contact with other dogs? Or just being outside on infected dirt or eating bad grass? I’ve always been confused about heartworms, hookworms, and roundworms and how they’re contacted. I saw the title Interceptor and I remembered this empty box I have in my dog’s file and records. The one time I bought Interceptor, I was really… young, so everything my vet offered me, I bought. I used it over the course of a year and forgot about it (Or in this case, they stopped putting it into the market and my technicians never offered me a substitute. I didn’t even know.). Fast forward 6 years now I’m wondering; her tests for heartworms and such still always come back negative, it is a violent slap to the face just now when I realize that that medicine was so important. I normally just put K9AII on her and keep it rolling. I haven’t really been looking into a preventative or anything for this. Does anyone know exactly when it will be coming back? If not soon, what do you use on your dogs to protect them from these hijackers?

(Also very unrelated to the topic how do I add a picture to my icon?? Still very new here (; w ; ) )

#66710 Report Abuse
    lovemypuppy

I’m just learning about this today. I’m new to dogs as my first ever is just a small puppy right now, but I’m wanting to be well read for our next vet appointment. What I like about Interceptor is, (according to the FDA) the minimum effective dose to prevent heart worm is just 0.1mg per kg. Of course, the milbemycin oxime at this low of a dose won’t do a thing for intestinal worms, but I don’t like the idea of treating for things that aren’t necessarily an issue. I looked everywhere online to purchase it and couldn’t find it anywhere, then realized it was discontinued. I did find a site that claims to have the same drug/medication from the same manufacturer but labeled for different countries for sale. I didn’t feel comfortable trusting that, so am happy to learn Elanco will be bringing this product back in the spring! My puppy is 11 weeks now, so I hope we can go straight to it without having to use something else 🙂

#66724 Report Abuse

Hi lovemypuppy..

That is the ” safe heart” dose you are referring to.

#66769 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Oleanderz,
    They get heartworms from mosquitoes and other worms come from contaminated soil or contact with an infected dog’s feces.

#66781 Report Abuse
    Oleanderz

BC- Thank you, after doing some research and chatting with the others on DFA, I’ve decided to use Sentinel Spectrum w/ an added organic topical flea and mosquito protect for the really hot days up North! I appreciate the info!

#66819 Report Abuse
    Jennifer H

BCNut – You live in Florida, right? What do you use/trust for fleas and heartworms? I have my dog on Advantage Multi (as per the suggestion of my holistic vet, after he had a bout of hookworms two years ago) but I’m reading so much about the worry people have about mixing flea/heartworm meds, and using topicals.

#66894 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I don’t do much for fleas. I think what I feed helps me to not have a very big flea issue. I do use some essential oils in a water spray to repel fleas when the dogs go out off our property, and for a couple months over summer, I have to bathe them more frequently. If I have a year where the weather has made the fleas really bad, I’ll use just about anything to knock them down then frequent baths to keep them down. As far as what I feed, raw meat, garlic, apple cider vinegar.

I’ve used Sentinel, which has something that makes flea eggs not hatch out in it. I’ve used Interceptor and Comfortis, but not at the same time. I used Trifexis, before I knew better. My dog really had problems with it, in fact I eventually lost him because of it, but he had epilepsy and a few other issues that also affected his life expectancy.

Currently, I use Heartgard or sheep ivomec.

#66896 Report Abuse
    Jennifer H

What do you mean “before you knew better”? At the shelter I intern at that was the product recommended to me, but I still have several months of advantage multi so I wasn’t looking to switch, plus my sisters dog was on it and it made him sick constantly. I didn’t know there was anything bad about it besides it made some dogs sick?

I still see fleas occasionally on Toby even with the Multi. I think it may have to do with the sandy area we live in, or maybe the amount of dogs around. I’m not sure. 2 years ago we had a massive infestation even with everyone on flea products, not sure we could ever do without….

I really do hate the spot-on, but I just don’t know what to do. I’ll try the ACV and garlic and see if perhaps that makes a difference.

I was thinking of switching to Sentinel and just using herbal flea sprays on Toby for the adult fleas. I worry though that if the Sentinel doesn’t kill adult fleas, the fleas could just lay eggs in the carpeting and then boom, infestation.

#84179 Report Abuse
    Freddy w

Hi

Can anyone tell me if a heart worm test is needed
    Before giving you dog INTERCEPTOR PLUS ?

I’ve heard and read various reports on this

Thank you !

#84181 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yes, it is.

#84182 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Yes, it is. There are some on-line pharmacies out of the country that may let you purchase heartworm meds without a prescription (laws differ). They not only charge a lot, but it is not recommended to by on-line meds as there is a lot of counterfeit stuff out there, you can’t be sure how it has been stored, expiration dates etc,

If anything goes wrong because of the med the company will have no liability because you did not purchase it from a veterinarian.

The annual Heartworm Disease/Lyme Disease/Ehrlichiosis/Anaplasmosis test is important, I would not recommend skipping it.

#84746 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

Is it any better than Heartgard Plus or less expensive? My dogs have used Heartgard for years but my vet sent me a message about Interceptor and there’s a special sale. I use NexGard for fleas and ticks. Not sure I want to introduce anything new into Jack’s food dish at this time if no difference.

#84747 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

I never thought about giving oral flea products that way, but reply 66233 from Milissaandcrew is right. “Running pesticides through the bloodstream to get to the skin” does sound dangerous. I always used Frontline Plus before until my dog got Cushings and began losing her hair right where I put it between her shoulder blades. That scared me away from the liquid. Now I’m nervous about the chew. Seems everything we do for our dogs turns out to be against our dogs.

#85297 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

Is Interceptor any better or less expensive than NexGard? Our new vet keeps trying to get me to buy it and it looks as though the first purchase is a lot less expensive. But how costly does it get later?

#85298 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

I’ve received no return information for my previous questions. Is there anyone out there?

#85299 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

OK, Interceptor is for fleas and ticks, right? But is it for heart worms too?

#85300 Report Abuse
    Jean B

No, Interceptor is for Heartworm and all the other worms they can get
    except tapeworms, unless it has been included now. I can’t remember.
    It does nothing for fleas. I use Interceptor, then I use Frontline Plus for fleas
    and ticks.

#85303 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Interceptor and Sentinel have the same main ingredient Milbemycine. Sentinel also contains Lufenuron, lately the vets have been pushing Interceptor Plus it has an added ingredient Praziquantel that kills tapeworms. There must be an increase in certain areas of dogs being treated for them.

#85347 Report Abuse
    Jean B

Yes! I looked it up last night and you are exactly right.

#87430 Report Abuse
    Susan B

Anyone have an opinion as to which is the lesser of the two evils, Sentinel (with lufenuron) or Interceptor Plus (with praziquantel). I wish they still had the plain old Interceptor with no additives.

#87480 Report Abuse
    Brad M

Anyone know if the fact that this is “chicken flavored” if it should be avoided in pets with possible chicken allergies?

#88916 Report Abuse
    Amanda S

We have a rescue dog that we got in December. We have always given our dogs Heartguard with no problem. However, our vet stop carrying Heartguard. So, we had to use Interceptor Plus. I gave it to Tiger last Wednesday. He hated the smell. So, I had to smear peanut butter all over it. He threw up that afternoon, has been eating grass like a cow for over a week and threw up a few days ago. I will never give this to him again and now I am out over $60. We are already financially stressed, so I of course and not happy. Going back to Heartguard. I read this on another blog.
    Pat Kitchen
    I have a friend in NJ whose dog has been taking Inceptor heartworm preventative and her dog was just diagnosed with heartworm
    Like · Reply · Jan 23, 2016 4:07pm

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Amanda S.
    #88918 Report Abuse
    anonymously

More dogs are being diagnosed heartworm positive, one theory is that it is because of all the shelter dogs that are being sent here from down south, sometimes they don’t test positive at first, takes a few months to kick in. In the meantime, the mosquitos that bite heartworm positive dogs then bite your dog infect them. In other words, these dogs are carriers.

So, the heartworm pills help, especially if you give them as often as your vet recommends (depends on the geographical area you are in)

I am in the New England area and I have had to revaluate how often I give preventives.

I lost a dog to complications from Lyme, and imo what I saw her go through was worse than any side effects that potentially could be caused by these medications.

#88922 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Very true anonymously. I’m in NH & the bulk of our adoptable dogs in our shelters (and a few rescues as well) come from the south.

How often do you give preventive? I do April/May til October/November, currently.

I’m sorry about the dog you lost.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by InkedMarie.
    #88925 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I give the heartworm pill every 5-6 weeks from April-December (frozen ground).
    Years ago we didn’t give any of this stuff, but things are different now.
    I’m near Boston.

Thanks, the dog I lost from complications of Lyme wasn’t diagnosed soon enough, she developed kidney damage. Now they do routine testing for Lyme when they check for heartworm annually.

#88931 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’m a couple hours from you, central NH (if you’ve skied at Gunstock, gone to Bike Week at the Weirs or a concert at the Meadowbrook, that’s where I am).

I have a feeling I’ll have to extend heartworm preventive season….I’m worried we’re going to have a late summer and/or mild winter.

#89173 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Yes — to the person who asked about food allergies; chicken or beef (or whatever) flavoring is an issue for a dog with the corresponding food allergy.

To all, in case this helps:

I used to use Interceptor, due to greater comfort with it regarding MDR1 with *some* herding breeds (and a couple others) and individuals. I think it’s really important to test in breeds/mixes with a significant portion affected.

While I currently have a non-MDR1 affected dog and use Ivermectin (only), I have it compounded to exact weight/needs from a reputable compounding pharmacy I trust . . . which lowers the toxicity. “Monthly” pills can also be given every 6 weeks, also to lower toxicity (minimize how many are given); this can be a good idea in hot climates where it needs to be given essentially year round. They will compound meds, including “monthly” heartworm disease preventatives, to specification into any form, with or without flavoring/additives.

Due to food allergies, I have mine placed unflavored in vegicaps (as gelatin contains unspecified animal derived protein, potentially food allergen). It is TINY, and I just toss it in the evening food (stew).

Has Interceptor (not the Plus) come back out onto the market yet??

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by GSDsForever.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by GSDsForever.
    #89177 Report Abuse
    Susan B

To GSDsForever:

Thanks for sharing this. I have a GSD recovering from Valley Fever. I had always used I Interceptor in the past, but from all I’ve heard they are only making Interceptor Plus or Sentinel, each with an added drug I don’t want or need. Because of hearing g of so many dogs at the rescues coming down with heartworm, I felt I had to start her on it (encouraged by my holistic vet).

I also only give it every 45 days as a vet once recommended. But I never thought to check with a compounding pharmacy so I could just get the milbemycin alone. Thanks for the suggestion.

#104939 Report Abuse
    Krissy K

Hello!

Just came across this blog while researching heartworm meds. I’m originally from Canada where heartworm was seasonal and rare in our area. We now live in Florida and recently got a 1.5 lb Yorkie puppy. I’m trying to decide which heartworm medication to give her. Her natural vet and all the vets down this way advised heartworm meds are needed year round. After researching I agree, since she’s so little a lot of the brands are a higher dose. I have it narrowed down to heartgard or interceptor. Just the regular, I don’t want a combo flea medication. We have a good all natural regime for her that’s been working well. My concern is the heartgard is 0-25 lb’s she’s so little to be getting such a large dose. The interceptor is 2-10 which seems like a better dose however I’m not sure which medication would work well and have the least side effects on her. The vet said either would be fine but I like to really do my research before giving any meds. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#104940 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I use Interceptor 2-10 for a 9 pound small breed. Haven’t had any problems, it’s a small pill.

#104941 Report Abuse
    Krissy K

Good to know, so it’s a small pill not a flavoured chew? I was also considering giving it every 45 days instead of 30. It’s hard to find forums with other people from Florida. Thank you for the quick response!

#104942 Report Abuse
    anonymous

It looks like a pill, the size of a baby aspirin. My dogs eat it like it’s piece of kibble. Best to give it with food
    You can coat the pill in a little butter, keep an eye on the dog for about 10 minutes.to make sure they don’ t spit it up.
    I would go by your vets advice. as to how often to give. I give it every 5 weeks except in the dead of winter.
    But I’m not in Florida. I have heard the rate of heartworm disease is high there.
    I think you will be taking a risk if you give every 45 days.

#104950 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Do not use in dogs under 2 lbs. You should also have him tested for heartworms before u start giving the pill.

#113846 Report Abuse
    Kari M

GSDsForever I was seeking an answer on dogs having the gene mutation and taking Interceptor Plus. Thank you for easing my mind a bit. My pup is an English Shepherd mix and got violently ill as a puppy when given Heartgard. It would hit him within minutes of taking it…and it wasn’t vomiting. Lethargy/explosive stool…just a very sick pup.
    I’ve given him Trifexis but stopped giving him anything and gave him a vaccination break for two years. I monitored him and he stayed very very healthy. I’ve since vaccinated for three things I know he can handle. Now I’m given Interceptor Plus. We are battling bloody stool currently and the vet administered metronidazole for loose stool. I’m feeding him chicken/rice for a bit…of course he’s loving that.
    They believe it is caused by whatever is on the ground after snow melt here in Northern Michigan. I do see lots of mold spores and others things on the ground…and he rolls in everything.
    I’m a “natural is better” type momma so I guess I’ll monitor this dosage. If it works I will be very happy!
    I appreciate these online forums!
    K

Viewing 47 posts - 1 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.