How much food do I feed my dog?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health How much food do I feed my dog?

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen C
    Participant

haleycookie: I feed kibble now, but want to change because of his teeth right now. The Weruva 10 oz can has 182 calories in the can. But if you’re supposed to feed by oz. two of those would be 20 oz a day., right? 182 cal would be 3 of those cans plus. That will be very expensive and seems even more crazy. The 14 oz is also Weruva but a different type and has 267 cal. AM I figuring right when they say oz and they would be twice a day? 20 oz twice a day? Thank you for answering.

#147659 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

I am not sure about the Oz conversion. I use calories and I actually used weruva chicken as an example for myself with adding up your dogs calories and what he’d need to eat last night haha. So yes the 14 Oz can of chicken weruva is a little over 200 cals. So you would give himone and a bit of another can of that a day. The 5.5 Oz cans contain 104 cals per can so you would feed three and a half to four of those a day to him.
    so I guess around 20oz would be sorta right. Canned food is mostly water that’s why you have to feed so much. Maybe look at a pate food, they tend to be higher calorie per can than shredded foods like most of weruvas.
    Canned food is a great way to loose weight. Kibble is typically nothing but carbs and will not help with keeping weight off dogs most of the time. Canned is also lesss processed than kibble so it’s all around more healthy in general.

#147666 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

I like the idea of canned but have never used it with my Bostons. I gave him a can of the small Dogs in the Kitchen which is 10 oz and he loved it of course. The pet store where I get it is giving me a 5% discount for being a regular customer ( which makes it cheaper than Chewy’s plus no shipping) and letting me mix and match the DITK type which will be fun for Jack I think. If this works out cost wise I may stick with it. Thank you for your help i this.

#148406 Report Abuse
    Chipy
    Participant

I have found this article helpful in calculating how much I need to feed; https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11016157-how-much-food-to-feed-your-dog They also have a useful recipe maker for dogs; https://recipemaker.peterdobias.com/

#177600 Report Abuse
    Ann H
    Participant

This is in reference to Ryan and his dog. My dog suffers from GERD & tracheal collapse. He honks like a goose and retches sometimes off and on all day. After many, many hours and days of research I have found what helps with my dog. I love my vet but she goes right for the meds just like a people doc. Pepcid is bad for the bones and has been proven such in humans so much so, that I myself, have stopped taking acid reflux meds and treat it naturally. Look up slippery elm & Manuka honey for acid reflux and tracheal collapse. The licking of the lips, sometimes frantically, and the grass eating, is because the acid is giving them so much pain and tastes horrible in their mouth and throat. The softer the food the better, such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, bluberries, bone broth ( natural), meat, fish, eggs, rice, oatmeal, etc. Give smaller meals throughout the day and lift their bowl up off the floor so it is level with their throat. Also, probiotics & green-lipped mussels. Hope this helps it did for my dog.

#177601 Report Abuse
    Ann H
    Participant

Sorry, my post should have been under the tracheal collapse forum.

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.