Grain Free

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author

haleycookie

I would consider not recommending anything, but purina hills and rc as bashing other brands. There are plenty of other options out there of quality meat based foods that far surpass those brands. Posts that are deleted, reprimanded, etc for recommending anything else are indeed bashing the brands.
    So my suspicions are correct. Still very close minded, to anything other than the companies funding the research and wsava. It’s unfortunate and clearly has massive conflict of interest.
    Taurine problems can’t be solved with grains. Considering taurine isn’t found in grains. A vet nutritionalist could tell you that, but I suppose a nutritionalist is only as good as the company they work for.

#137757 Report Abuse

christine v

Reading some of the replies in this thread has made it crystal clear that the tone, close mindedness and blinkers are still on in the DCM group.
    I will bet my bottom dollar that when this all comes to a head it will be clear as day which company is responsible for the majority of the fear mongering and propaganda..

#137758 Report Abuse

crazy4cats

Again, some grains contain the precursors that dogs need to synthesize taurine on their own. So, yes, they can be very important. All the ingredients need to work together to make a complete nutrient package.

And, again, and most important, most of the dogs being diagnosed are NOT taurine deficient. So, your continued recommendation of feeding foods high in meat content is not necessarily a fix.

Any company can choose to part with some of their profits and hire a team of experts, do some research and controlled feed trials. There is no one stopping them.

Veterinary nutritionists have years of education. They should be shown some respect.

#137759 Report Abuse

christine v

Crazy4cats It depends who’s payroll these nutritionists are on.. I have much more respect for independent Veterinary nutritionists who arent getting paid by the big 4.

#137770 Report Abuse

InkedMarie

In the group I am in, raw and home cooked are fine as long as a board certified nutritionist (I cannot remember exactly what the credentials have to be) designs the “recipe”.

#137771 Report Abuse

InkedMarie

Here is what I don’t get. IF we’re all talking about the same group, when you join, you agree to read the units. Quite obviously, many people don’t. Read the units, spend a little time reading posts and you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to see what the group is there for and who runs it.

Professionals started the group…ie Dr Joshua Stern and many others. I will listen to their recommendations over anyone else. They recommend feeding foods that follow WSAVA guidelines. It’s that simple. That’s the recommendation. Currently, Royal Canin, Science Diet, Eukanuba, Iams and Purina are the only WSAVA compliant. There is no “I think my food is following”…..they either are or they aren’t. It’s not an interpretation. If you think your food is, print out the guidelines and call the company. See if they are compliant. The hopes is that other companies will start following the guidelines.

Spend time reading/read the units and you will read what moderators say: there are hard & fast rules for the group. It’s science based. Opinions on many points aren’t allowed. They will be deleted. Recommend non WSAVA compliant foods….it will be deleted. Recommend home cooked or raw without being designed by a nutritionist (with credentials I’m not positive about)….it will be deleted.

It does not matter who works for who…..and I have no clue who does nor do I care. Everyone has to earn a living. If the food follows WSAVA compliant, it is recommended.

If you don’t like the group, leave. It’s that simple. It’s Facebook people. There are other groups.

If you’re here asking questions and we discuss DCM and post links to help….read them. Stop asking about other foods & if they’re good for this issue. We’ve told you what the recommendation is. If you don’t want to feed those foods….fine. It’s hard to be passionate about this issue, try to help then have people ignore. I will only continue to post in hopes others are reading and may be somewhat educated.

Again….it’s a FB group. Don’t like what they say? Leave. I have said that for years about DFA. Don’t like the reviews? There are other sites that may be to your liking.

#137776 Report Abuse

Bobby dog

“Spend time reading/read the units and you will read what moderators say: there are hard & fast rules for the group. It’s science based. Opinions on many points aren’t allowed. They will be deleted. Recommend non WSAVA compliant foods….it will be deleted. Recommend home cooked or raw without being designed by a nutritionist (with credentials I’m not positive about)….it will be deleted…There is no “I think my food is following”…..they either are or they aren’t. It’s not an interpretation…Again….it’s a FB group. Don’t like what they say? Leave.”

What InkedMarie wrote, it’s pretty simple…

#137783 Report Abuse

Sanne

Well said Marie!! Pretty much everything I am thinking but written much better than if I had tried

#137789 Report Abuse

InkedMarie

Thanks BobbyDog & Sanne. Not bad for 5 something in the morning!

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.