🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Gloria K

Is it okay to feed my 12 pound terrier homemade dehydrated fruits and veggies?

#61863 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I don’t know for sure, but I don’t see what would be wrong with it. Just make sure not to feed fruits or veggies that are toxic to dogs, grapes is the main one that I know of.

#61864 Report Abuse
    Gloria K

Yes grapes onions and avocados are not to be fed to dogs. I was thinking of the same things that I put in his food like carrots, sweet potato chips, green beans, things like that.
    Since they’re dried without salt, sugar or other spices I can’t see why they would be any different than raw or cooked veggies or fruits in his food. He loves to chew things like that.

#61920 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Beware of grapes (as mentioned) as well as onions and you should be alright – although I personally think it would be much more beneficial to feed dehydrated meats as most dog’s diets typically aren’t lacking in carbs. 🙂

#61926 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

According to Pet Poison Control, avocados are not toxic to dogs.

#61929 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

From what I know, Avocados are not exactly toxic in the same way grapes are, but they are not something you want to be giving your dog. I think they generally just cause stomach upset, though maybe in larger amounts they could do more damage. Not sure what those amounts would be, but best to avoid them anyhow.

#61931 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

They are high in fat and so a dog that is sensitive to fat level could get upset stomach from them, but that is in no way the same thing as toxic. We aren’t telling people that pork fat is toxic, or beef fat, or any other high fat food, but the myth that avocado is toxic to dogs keeps getting spread around. Dogs can handle avocado just fine, unless they have an issue with too much fat. They are toxic to some other animals, but not to dogs.

#61932 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I always thought it was generally the avocado pit that was problematic.

#61934 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

As a choking hazard or possible blockage, yes, as a toxin, no. Even for the animals that avocado is toxic for, it’s the peel, leaves, and bark that are toxic, not the flesh.

#61937 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I was going to say, isn’t there a food called AvoDerm that contains lots of avocado in it? Surely it wouldn’t be THAT bad for dogs if a food boasts to contain that particular fruit so much. I would use it too, especially the Trout formula from the Revolving Menu of AvoDerm. 🙂

#61947 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It doesn’t have a lot of avocado, but it does have avocado. It’s great for skin and coat health.

#61960 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Interesting. I had seen that AvoDerm had avocado in it. It has a very small amount of avocado oil in it. Here’s what the ASPCA says about the use of avocado in dog food:

I noticed your avocado information in the recent issue of ASPCA News Alert. Do you have any information about the safety of avocado in pet food?

– Nicole K.

Good question, Nicole. As you read in News Alert, avocado leaves, fruit, seeds and bark contain a toxic principle known as Persin. The Guatemalan variety, a common one found in stores, appears to be the most problematic. Other strains of avocado can have different degrees of toxic potential.

Avocado is sometimes included in pet foods for nutritional benefit. We would generally not expect avocado meal or oil present in commercial pet foods to pose a hazard to dogs and cats, but we advise against giving avocado flesh or peel to dogs and cats, as mild stomach upset may occur if the animal eats a significant amount. Ingestion of the pit can lead to obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract, which is a serious situation requiring urgent veterinary care.

First they say that it contains Persin, which is toxic to dogs, and then they say that besides the pit, the biggest risk is stomach upset. And BCnut said that the biggest risk, besides the pit, was the fat. Now I’m confused.

#61961 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Who eats avocado peel in the first place?

#61962 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Lol yeah. I guess if you dropped a whole avocado and let the dog eat it then they would eat the peel.

#61982 Report Abuse
    Gloria K

With all the confusion I think I’ll pass on the avocados for Mickey. There are a lot of other things he can eat. LOL

#61996 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Persin is not a toxin to dogs. It can be a mild irritant. That is not the same thing as a toxin. It is a toxin to some other animals though. Think how many different real foods could cause a lot more than mild stomach upset if a large amount was consumed. That is a stupid statement. ASPCA uses the Pet Poison Control as one of their sources of information, but then incorrectly uses the info. The PhD that runs the Pet Poison Control does have a clue about avocado and which animals are affected by persin. Do you know how many things the ASPCA is completely wrong about, but continues to put out there anyways?

#62041 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

That’s odd. Someone posted some more information about persin in avocados and the ASPCA, but the comment disappeared.

#157508 Report Abuse
    Amy J
    Participant

I make dehydrated sweet potatoes and green beans all the time for my dogs! Here’s my free recipe for Dehydrated Sweet Potatoes!
    https://madelynnsmorsels.com/dehydrated-sweet-potato-treats-for-dogs/

#162101 Report Abuse
    Chipy
    Participant

Glorida, you can feed your pup dehydrated treats but it’s best to use meat as the main ingredient to keep the sugar and carb content low.

This article explains what veggies are good for dogs;
    https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11014993-what-veggies-are-good-for-dogs

When it comes to fruits, you need to be more careful due to fructose, the natural sugar that is present in fruits. The rule of thumb is to feed fruit at least one hour before feeding meat or other proteins and a minimum of three hours after a protein meal because fruit digestion on its own is fast. When you feed fruit with protein it sits in the stomach much longer, which may lead to undesirable fermentation and production of a small amount of alcohol.

Why fruit and protein should not be fed together:
    https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11015005-why-fruit-and-protein-should-not-be-fed-together

Lastly, here is a healthy homemade treat recipe that my pup absolutely loves;
    https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/all-natural-homemade-dog-treat-recipe

I hope this helps. Wishing you and your pup all the best!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.