🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

• This topic has 74 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Dori.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Mom2Cavs

Betsy, I used to love Merrick! I even fed the dry for about 3 months after the change to the new Classic, Grain free lines. But I had some problem with some of the kibble. I still fed the canned food until I found weird looking, mold-like, stuff in the middle of a few of them. So I won’t buy them anymore. I really miss buying them, too, because they had a lot of variety. Now I tend to stick with Wellness, but I do add a few others in now and then for more variety. Our kibble is Victor, atm, but I just found out Wellness has some new formulas for smaller breed dogs that look good. I was always asking them to come out with Simple in smaller size kibble and to have other flavors in Small Breed formulas. Now they have! However, I have a ton of Victor I will feed first before trying them out.

#37005 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Mike-
    Thank you for all your hard work. I am happy to support this site. I am not too worried about the $5 or the auto-renewal either. Just also thought it was weird it wasn’t mentioned when I signed up. I would probably pay the $19.99 per year even with out this new section as I know there is a lot of work involved in keeping it updated so well. Just looking forward to a cat advisory site now! Thanks again.

#37006 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Jan,

I’m so glad you responded! I knew I recalled that you weren’t pleased with Merrick and while I mis-stated it had caused GI upset, I now recall that it was more of a QC issue after reading your post.

I definitely believe that a product has to pass the sleep test. If my gut instinct causes me angst and worry, I won’t use it. I really have to feel confident in products that I choose. So, I think I’ll continue to take a pass on Merrick.

I”ve also tried Victor and unfortunately, it didn’t work for Sam. We tried the GF ALS formula in the red bag. It worked fine for Bella, but Sam doesn’t seem to do well on foods with lots of fruits and veggies, which it had. I would however, recommend it to others. It was great to find a fish free food though! There are plenty of other products; ie: Merrick, that the entire product line contains either fish or fish meal that I’d love him to try, but can’t. I also bought a bag of Victor Lamb Meal & Brown Rice, which is closer to a more limited ingredient food and its also fish free. I’m going to try that after he finished what he’s eating now, which is Canine Caviar.

#37008 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I feed my yorkie only canned foods and I was disappointed in the small number listed. I use the wellness stews,weruva and merrick and in my opinion weruva is far better than merrick. Out of the 3 merrick is my least favorite,causes mine gas. In fact when I’ve finished the cans I have I’m going to another canned one.Why do u think Weruva wasn’t on it?

#37010 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi weezerweeks. I’d like to ask this question of you as stated that you only feed canned. Have you fed your dog Ziwipeak canned? I feed raw to all my dogs and THK Zeal on occasion to two of my dogs, the third can’t have anything with alfalfa which THK contains. (She’s got many many food allergies, intolerances as well as environmental allergies). I’m looking for possibly a canned alternative to feed on occasion as raw (commercial raw) is so high in fat that I’d like to give them a break once in a while. Though I think Weruva appears to be a great canned alternative, I’m concerned that they can no longer assure anyone that their cans do not contain bha. Thanks, Dori

#37011 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Dori,

I’ve fed ZiwiPeak canned. It’s a great product. Very dense. I know it’s not, but it looks and smells much like a commercial raw product.

#37014 Report Abuse
    Dori

Great Betsy. Thanks so much. Have you ever found it in a pet store? I’ve only been able to locate it on line. I’ve been waiting to order it (I’ve actually got it sitting in my Amazon cart) until I heard from anyone here as to how it worked out. Other than raw, there are very few foods that Katie can eat because of all her issues. All three of my dogs (toy breeds) are real chow hounds but I’ve always gotta watch what Katie eats. The other two could eat everything and anything and be just fine. Again, thanks for your quick response. I’m off to Amazon to place the order.

#37015 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I can buy ZiwiPeak locally, but have also ordered it online. I believe I used to get it from Petflow, but Chewy has better prices on it. It’s crazy expensive! I used to feed it to Bella (both the canned and the air dried) before Sam came along. There’s no way I could afford to feed it to the two of them regularly.

• This reply was modified 10 years ago by DogFoodie.
    #37017 Report Abuse
    Dori

I’m not sure anyone can afford it regularly but I really do need something to give them a break once in a while from the high fat content in raw. It’s crazy expensive. The higher quality canned foods are so expensive, I never realized just how expensive until recently when I started my search.

#37020 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Hi Dori, ziwi peak is too high in fat. I tried the zeal and he would not eat it. I thought it might be the fish but tried Embark and Love and he would not eat it. He just does not like dehydrated food.Everyone on hear seems to think think the canned is better than dehydrated so I’ve gone total canned but lately I’ve been thinking about some kibble. At this time I just can not go raw.He does love to eat and my vet wants him to lose a little weight so it’s a constant battle.

#37027 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Betsy, I used to feed Canine Caviar before they added their new grain free formulation. I fed the Lamb & Millet and the Special Needs. Loved it back then. One of these days I might try it again for the dogs. My girls are eating Victor Yukon, atm. I do have some of the Senior on hand and just ordered some of the Lamb & rice. Rupert came to me eating Blue Buffalo lamb & rice, and I thought I’d try the Victor’s L&R with him and the girls.

#37029 Report Abuse
    Dori

Thanks weezerweeks. Ziwipeak is actually a lot lower fat content than the raws that my girls eat. I’ve placed an order after Betsy’s post. I have yet to come across a kibble that Katie doesn’t have an issue with. Since she’s the poop eater in my crew, all dogs eat what she does. Thanks for your reply.

#37087 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Moxie –

Per my calculations Simply Nourish actually costs more than Weruva.

From Petsmart’s website Simply Nourish is priced at $2.39 per 10 oz. can this comes to $0.24 per oz. ($2.39/10)

Based on pricing at Chewy Weruva runs about $34.49 for a case of 12 cans which comes to $2.87 per can ($34.49/12). Each can is 14 oz. so the cost per oz. is $0.21 ($2.87/14).

Weruva actually appears to be the better buy.

#37095 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Def. HDM…Simply Nourish is the smaller can size. I like them both, though, and with my small dogs I actually like the smaller can size better. For me and my needs the cost difference isn’t too bad to deal with. I haven’t fed SN is awhile….this post makes me want to get some again for the stash lol.

#37102 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I also like that I don’t have to order SN online. For some reason, it;s weird to me. I’ve done it, but i’m always happier when i can get my hands on my dog food

#37485 Report Abuse
    moxie
    Participant

I am comparing Simply Nourish Tuna and Salmon Stew with Weruva Jammin’ Salmon which I have ordered from Chewy in the past. I do not buy the Simply Nourish bisques (which for some reason cost more–2.39 a can) because they are too “soupy”. And that is somewhat like Jammin’ Salmon, because it has a higher moisture content than SN Tuna and Salmon Stew. Simply Nourish just upped their price on the stews to 2.25 instead of the 2.00 per can that I had purchased in the past–:(. But putting the two foods side by side in a dish–the Simply Nourish Stews look much higher in quality. And since I am feeding a 6 pound toy fox terrier, a 10 oz. can is fine!

#37488 Report Abuse
    moxie
    Participant

Forgot to mention that Simply Nourish Tuna and Salmon has more protein than Jammin’ Salmon!

#37503 Report Abuse
    moxie
    Participant

Who wants to pay for moisture when you can be purchasing protein??

#38108 Report Abuse
    clynne s

I see Merrick, Origen and Acana are recommended. D any of them test for pesticides? hormone antibiotic free? Even the orgsnix has non organic ingredients, therefore pesticides. As for MO free , are the animals fed Gmo, pesticide and hormone /antibiotic free food?

#38111 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Hi Clynne S,

We interview each company being considered for our Editor’s Choice list and inquire if they test their ingredients for preservatives and mycotoxins before these materials are incorporated into their products.

Most either test or insist their suppliers certify the raw materials are preservative-free. Unfortunately, testing by DFA is beyond the scope (or budget) of our service.

Thanks for your question.

#38219 Report Abuse
    Deborah H

Have I missed something (I just joined today, April 8th)? The Honest Kitchen was mentioned in this forum as being on the Editor’s Choice list, but I do not see it. Was it removed recently?

I am interested in incorporating at least one raw (or freeze-dried raw) meal each day for my eight-year-old Havanese. There aren’t many raw foods that made this prestigious list.

Any suggestions? I am a little nervous to go raw. Does one have to stop letting their dog give humans “kisses” if they eat a raw diet?

Thanks! It’s great to be among those that (maybe) obsess about their dog’s health as much as I do!

Debbie

#38220 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Deborah H. and welcome. If you are all things dog obsessed than boy have you come to the right place. I’ve got three little ones and they are my babies. One has lots of issues, the one has none other than being totally obsessed with playing fetch, and my older girl I’m just yesterday and today dealing with liver issues (14 1/2 year old Maltese). Waiting for results of tests done this morning. Your question on THK. Yes it was on March 2014 list and it’s not on April 2014 list. We don’t know why it was taken off. A few of us have been discussing this and we are waiting for some feed back from Dr. Mike or HDM.

I’m glad you’re thinking about incorporating a raw diet or at least freeze dried diet for one of their daily meals. There are some home cooked raw feeders here on this site and I’m sure they’ll chime in and steer you in the right direction if home cooking is what you’d like to do. NO, you do not have to stop getting doggie kisses because you feed raw. Just make sure that YOU wash your hands, counter and anything else that touched the raw food thoroughly. Just as you would do when doing your own cooking for you and your family with raw meats and fishes. The more you incorporate and rotate raw and freeze dried foods in your dogs diets the healthier they will become. A healthy dog is more able to deal with minor issues in foods than one with an unhealthy gut. It’s the humans that have to be really careful with foods containing Salmonella and such more so than a healthy dog. You’ll be amazed at the changes that take place when you incorporate raw to their diets. Changes that you didn’t even know weren’t as they should be.

Welcome to our obsessed world. I’m about as obsessed a person can be about my girls, short of being locked up in some institution some where. Even then, they’d have to let me take my dogs, get me a freezer, their supplements, their beds, their toys, all their grooming supplies, shampoos, their special stainless steel bowls, etc. I think you get a picture of me now! SO SO TOTALLY OBSESSED AM I! AND I LOVE IT! It’s the only way to be. In my world, anyway!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

• This reply was modified 10 years ago by Dori.
    #38230 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I don’t let my dogs kiss me for about 30 minutes after they have eaten raw.

#38380 Report Abuse
    Deborah H

Thanks for extending such a gracious welcome to me after joining the forum and encouraging me to take the leap to go raw. I look forward to the sharing of tips and information among “dog people”.

Dchassett, how did the liver test turn out for your Maltese? Hope all is fine.

Debbie

#38381 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Deborah H. Liver test did not turn out well so Hannah, my Maltese, has an appt. in the morning for x-ray and ultrasound of liver and gall bladder looking for any possible tumors. Since she’ll be at the vet anyway I’m having them do a test for Cushing’s Syndrome due to some other symptoms she has that are similar to Cushing’s but can be justified to her hypothyroidism and degenerated mid spine discs. Vet said it’s always possible that she can have more than one issue going but doesn’t think it’s Cushing’s but to allay my fears she saw no problem in doing Cushing’s testing after x-ray and ultrasound. I’m preparing myself for the worst and, of course, praying for the best and hoping I get to kick my self for getting hysterical before knowing anything definitive. My girls are my babies even before the loss of my son I’ve been dog obsessed. Since then, I guess the obsession has become, well, obsessive. LOL! I’m a mommy at heart, what can I say. I’ll post again tomorrow after results of x-ray and ultra sound results. Again, welcome and glad you’re here.
    By the way, my name is Dori.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.