Budget friendly dog foods

Dog Food AdvisorForumsCanine NutritionBudget friendly dog foods

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 187 total)
  • Author

Akari_32

Hey guys! I need your all’s help on prices :)

Normally, I coupon for dog food, usually paying no more $1 a per pound for brands like Wellness and Blue Buffalo (but usually its more like pocket change for 4-6 pound bags). However, if you’ve never tried couponing before, it takes tons of time– matching up store, manufacturer and competitor coupons to sales, as well has having to actually have the money to spend on the food when I don’t actually need it in order to take advantage of the sales to save money down the road. I work and go to college full time and with season coming, work is getting more and more busy (dang snow birds), and I’m having less time to keep up with coupons and sales. I have about 2 months of dog food stored away, so I figured while I have the time, I’d do some research and look around for some good food that fits into my limited college budget for when I don’t have the ability to use coupons.

What I’d like in the food is to be grain free (preferably, but no corn at the very least), available at Walmart, Publix, PetSmart, Pet Supermarket, and Petco, no more than $2 a pound (less would be much much better, though), and I’d like varying meat sources, as well as being no less than 3 stars (as I know you do get what you pay for). One thing to keep in mind is that I’m vary rarely near Costco and Tractor Supply, but those don’t have to be completely counted out. My grandparents are near Costco usually once a week, so I could give them money to pick me up something there.

I’m not too adverse to feeding Diamond foods, but I don’t want it to be a regular thing. Once every couple months is fine. So if any of these fall into my range, feel free to list them. And anything that gets manufacturer coupons would be super awesome, but its not necessarily overly important.

Also, Pet Supermarket does buy 10 get 1 free on ALL their foods, except Diamond (the actual labeled Diamond food in the white and orange bag). This is a plus, but doesn’t have to be a driving force.

I know prices vary across the country, so don’t worry too much! Just keep it close according to what’s available around you. Thanks bunches!

pugmomsandy
    Participant

Nutrisource grain free chicken and lamb formulas are 1.67/lb on petflow. You can find this at retailers as well. Tractor Supply’s 4Health grain free food (not made by Diamond) is 1.23/lb. Merrick Whole Earth Farms 1.23/lb (not grain free). I’ve also heard Victor is reasonably priced. http://www.victordogfood.com. Dr. Tim’s with grain 1.50/lb. Fromm 4 Star Nutritionals Chicken a la Veg 1.80/lb. And Hit-Tek Naturals grain free.

Akari_32

Nutrisource I don’t think is available here (going to check out websites right now). I MAY be able to ask my local pet store to order it, but I’m fairly certain he’d want me to order and pay for a whole case. Also, I’m not home durring the day much, so I don’t think ordering online is an option as of right now.

The grain free 4Health was on my list, so if I’m ever in that direction (it’s almost an hour away) that is an option.

Merrick is available at PetCo, so that could be an option. Does anyone know if Petco or Merrick does the buy 10 get 1 free thing?

Fromm I’ve seen at a not-so-local pet store (up by Costco, an hour away). *Could* be an option. I’m rarely up that way, though, and I’d rather not send my grandparents on a wild goose chase LOL However i put in a lot of interstate driving, and pass the exit several times a week, so maybe :)

As for the others, I’ve not seen these around either. And then there’s the not home durring mail and shipping hours thing…

Anyone happen to know how much the grain free Kirkland stuff is? I know its like $27, but never got a weight off it.

Thanks bunches! I dont mean to be a pain. My dog food choices suck just here, in case you haven’t noticed LOL

InkedMarie

Why can’t you order? Sandy gave you a very good food for a great price, two foods, in fact.

Akari_32

Most of the week I’m working 9 or 10 hours days. I wouldn’t be home to accept a perishable shipment, and dog food sitting in the 98 degree sun doesn’t sound like a good thing to me.

InkedMarie

No neighbors to accept a bag of food, maybe leave a cooler out for it?

Akari_32

That’d be one big cooler! We go through 10 cups of dog food a day– we need lots of dog food :p We have smaller coolers, but none that would hold any amount of free shipping worth of dog food. And we don’t really know any of our neighbors. One of them wouldn’t mind, but they’re busy people, too. It’s not completely ruled out. It’s just doesn’t really seem like the best option right now. Buying locally would be much easier.

Jamie08
    Participant

My dogs have been on Whole Earth Farms (by Merrick) dry food for a couple weeks now and are doing great. It is normally really affordable, but was on sale at Petco and came out to $1/lb. It is not grain-free, but doesn’t have corn. It’s a 4 star food on here, and my dogs love it. I got the 35lb bag for $35-something. Their wet food is great too.

My dad also just got that grain free stuff from Costco.. Nature’s Domain? His dogs haven’t been on it long enough to know how they do, but it is also very affordable. I think it’s rated a little lower but it is grain free.

Akari_32

I was looking at Whole Earth Farms, actually. I can also use a $5 off $25 coupon, which would bring it down some. It’s on sale right now, online at least. I was about to ask about it.

Do you know how big of a bag the Natures Domain comes in?

Jamie08
    Participant

The bag he got was a bigger one, not sure exactly, but 35 or 40lbs. I don’t know if it comes in different sizes, sorry. :(

pugmomsandy
    Participant

A couple hours of outside heat won’t do much harm. It’s already been in a small, closed delivery truck for days. I buy food online all year. But order more at once during the cool months. Petflow usually delivers fast and you get a tracking number so maybe you could time it right and get delivery on the weekend.

Akari_32

That’s ok, Jamie! Gives me something to look into :) I can’t remember either lol

I’ll look into it, Sandy. Still not fully comfortable with the idea. Once it’s cooled down, perhaps I’ll feel better about the idea. Cooler weather is just around the corner, thank god. I hate this heat!

What are your all’s thoughts on PetSmarts Authority? Kinda mid grade-ish, right? Their grain free $1 a pound, more or less. And what about Nutro Max? Not really sure how I feel about that one, though…

k9cancer

Im looking for a good food to feed my Giant Pyrs. Anyone have any suggestions.
    D

Akari_32

Alrightly, so here’s an incomplete list of my phone internetting. Walmart mobile site wasn’t cooperating, so I didn’t get around to prices and bag sizes (more or less going off the top of my head), and Pet Supermarkets website just plain sucks, so I didn’t bother. Both are like 3 minutes away, so I can finish those parts tomorrow or whenever in person.

So far, all three of the dogs do good on anything I’ve tried them on, so I get to play around with everything on this list over time. Lots of options. These are all 3-4 star foods (I hope, anyways! I tried to keep it 3 and above). Grain free isn’t working out very well, so far, going by only local options, but that’s ok. I’d like opinions on my list so far! And I’ll look into the online stuff when I have computer based Internet access in a few days.

InkedMarie

None of them are foods I’d feed, to be honest but definitely not Nutro Max. What about Nutro Ultra?

Akari_32

Well, when you have an average of $20 left from your pay check every week, you do what you can. Not everybody can afford $60 or $70 dog food.

Nutro Ultra runs about $25-30 more. If I happen to be able to afford that, then I could get something better than either Nutro options, even if it means a smaller bag. Like I said, I’m not thrilled about the Max, but it could work if need be. It’s just on the list. Doesn’t nessecdarily mean I have to try it.

I would suggest looking around for another pet store, even if a bit further away. WEvery one assumes the boutique store are higher priced,but many do carry good budget friendly foods. I have used propac in the past and still do on occasion as something different-it doe have corn, but decent rating, and its 28.99 for 33lbs or so. Inside is a $3 off coupon, and then they have a buy 10 get one free program. You can not beat it for the cost.Hitek has grain free and grain inclusive, and a frequent buyer program. Victor has a varied line and it runs from 30-46 or so for the varietie. You can find other options if you are willing to drive a bit.

Molzy

What about chicken soup for the dog lovers soul? I don’t know what stores near you carry it, but I’ve used that when needed, and have one of my dogs on their canned now. Taste of the wild is another diamond product, but grain free. Personally, I’d feed diamond (and have) over nutro, but that’s just a personal opinion.

Akari_32

The problem with the local pet stores around here is that they are so few and far between already that with the opening of more and more chains, they have to jack their already higher prices up just to stay open– or they slowly lose business until they finally close. That’s not to say I won’t check them out, but so far, everyone I’ve ventured into is much higher priced than everywhere else.

Hm, I forgot about Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul. A local store I frequent for fish and aquarium supplies has it on occation. Never thought to check the price. TOTW is about $3 a pound here (2.60-something). Too high IMO for who makes it. I’ve used it off and on, but the dogs don’t seem too thrilled about it. It’s the only food they’ve ever hated.

Akari_32

I’m currently scooting around Petflow.com. Most of the larger bags of food are out of my price range. I found a GIANORMOUS bag of Eagle Pack, looked it up on here, and was a bit peeved to see it had corn, and so high up on the list. Yet it gets 4 stars! I suppose it’ll be on my “maybe” list….

http://www.petflow.com/product/eagle-pack/eagle-pack-original-adult-lamb-meal-with-rice-breeder-bag-dry-dog-food

As far as large-bag-shopping goes, thats about the price range I want to stay in. Smaller bags can be a little more expensive.

I’ll keep looking around, and post more as I find them.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 187 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.