Bladder stones in 6 year old female pug

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Bladder stones in 6 year old female pug

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anita A

We have had our girl Daisy on what we thought was good quality food. She developed a number of bladder stones. The smaller ones dissolved after medications and she was put on a veterinarian brand of dog food. An x-ray showed the smaller stones dissolved, however, the large on is still rolling around in her bladder and she is scheduled for surgery. Any suggestions on what to feed her to keep this from reoccurring?

#113164 Report Abuse
    Mary G

Hello! I have a three year old rescued beagle with bladder stones as well. She is doing well but wondering that myself.

#113166 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Copied from a previous post:
    Also, if the dog is overweight, get the extra weight off, increase walks/exercise/activity.
    Work closely with your vet, when the dog has been stable 6 months to 1 year then you can talk about diet changes.
    “Dogs that get urinary tract infections and bladder stones tend to have a genetic predisposition, combine that with not enough water intake, not enough opportunities to urinate and you have a problem”.
    “Whatever you decide to feed, add water to the kibble or canned food, even presoak and add water. Take out to urinate at least every 4 hours (every 2 hours is ideal) stagnant conditions in the bladder are conducive to bladder stone formation”.
    “Always have fresh water available for the dog 24/7”.
    “Supplements are crap, don’t waste your money unless your vet recommends something specific for your dog”.
    Ps: You think the prescription food is expensive. Try emergency surgery for a blocked urethra.
    Been there, done that.
    Regarding cranberry: http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=cranberry
    Also there are prescription meds for stubborn cases, talk to your vet.
    Was an ultrasound done? Dogs can have more than one type of stone, such as calcium oxalate and struvite…that was the case with my dog that had reoccurring UTIs.
    This is not veterinary advice; consult your veterinarian.
    PS: Note recent question on struvite in comments: http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2016/09/science-based-veterinary-nutrition-success-stories/comment-page-1/#comment-121266
    Good luck

#113167 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Per the search engine: /forums/search/bladder+stones/
    See my posts
    Also regarding prescription food:
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2016/07/more-nonsense-from-holistic-vets-about-commercial-therapeutic-diets/
    I have used Royal Canin SO for a dog for a dog with bladder stones with good results.
    Zignature is a quality food, copy the ingredient list from Chewy and show your vet, maybe the dog could have that? Or, 1/2 and 1/2 with the prescription food? Check with your vet.
    Whatever you feed, add water and maybe soft food, presoak kibble and add water.
    Dogs that get bladder stones often have a genetic predisposition (struvite and calcium oxalate are the most common), not enough water is another contributing factor.
    Has she had an x-ray/ultrasound to rule out bladder stones? Because, they can have more than one type of stones. This also. can result in recurrent urinary tract infections.
    Add water to the kibble, and you can also presoak the kibble in water overnight in the fridge prior to serving.
    Offer frequent bathroom breaks/opportunities to urinate, keep the bladder flushed. Stagnant conditions in the bladder are conductive to stone formation.
    Don’t free feed, 2 or 3 small meals a day is better and always have fresh water available. Maybe add a little plain chicken broth (no onion) to the kibble.
    A blocked urethra is a medical emergency and can result in surgery to save the dog’s life.
    Did the vet talk to you about prescription meds for stubborn cases? Don’t confuse supplements with medication.
    Work with your vet, prescription food and all, when the dog has been stable for 6 months to 1 year you can discuss diet changes.
    Use the search engine here to see more threads on this topic.
    This is not veterinary advice; consult your veterinarian.
    Ps: You may find some helpful information here http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=urinary+tract+infection

#113635 Report Abuse
    Sue G

Hi there
    My little Maltese/Shih-Tzu was diagnosed with bladder stones in 2015 and was operated on and I was told she would have to be on a prescription diet for the rest of her life.
    She was put on Hills Urinary care and it didn’t agree with her at all…I suggest you do some reading about it before you decide.
    I changed her to Royal Canin Urinary SD and she hasn’t had a problem since.
    I always add a little water to her meals
    Hers were Struvite Crystal’s and I was told this diet dilutes the urine and helps prevent the growth of the crystals.
    All good so far thank goodness…
    Best of luck 🙂

#113636 Report Abuse
    Anita A

Hi Sue,
    Thank you for your email. I am starting to put water with her food now and changed her food to Pulse because she does have a reaction to wheat. The Royal Canin Urinary SD has been mentioned before so I will check it out.
    Thanks so much for your reply it is reassuring to hear your little companion is doing well on the changes you made.
    Anita

#113638 Report Abuse
    Anita A

Anon101,
    Thank you for all your input and suggestions. I do feed her twice a day and will now start with water mixed in. She did have a stone that blocked her urethra and she was scheduled for surgery but her blood work was out of whack, she was in emergency 24 hour care for days. The procedures were varied and intense. She is on Pulse food and she does have allergic reaction to wheat. I will check out the Royal Canin Urinary SO. Pugs are prone to bladder stones I found out….after the fact. So we will need to be very observant of her urination and water intake.
    We have had 4 x-rays in the past few months. One stubborn stone is still there but we have opted to not go the surgery route because of her complications when they tried to anesthetize her.
    Anita

#113643 Report Abuse
    Sue G

Hi Anita
    Hope everything goes well for your little pug – All the best

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.