Best chew for stomach

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Treats Best chew for stomach

Viewing 19 posts - 101 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I give them the occasional raw frozen beef marrow bone because I know they enjoy it.
    I don’t think food, bones/chews, sprays or additives work any miracles on their teeth, though.

I brush their teeth with Petrodex and a medium sized adult toothbrush (hardest I can find), I count to 100 (for each section) and really scrub the sides and the back where the tartar builds up, this takes about 5 minutes for each dog per day.

Some dogs just have lousy teeth, sometimes it’s genetic, and will need one or two professional cleanings in their lifetime no matter what you do. But the brushing does make a big difference.

#73543 Report Abuse
    chris

For there teeth not long ago I had researched about doing it at home and learned a lot from that. I tried brushing his teeth but he doesn’t seem to like it at all. Though he does let me open his mouth and everything and doesn’t fight back. So when researching I read a lot on doing it yourself with a Dental Pick. You can pick up a dental pick for like $3-$5 the most. I haven’t actually honestly done it yet, but I have plans on picking one up this week sometime.

Here is a video I watched about it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaSrGMZKb28

#73546 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

I wouldn’t mess with a dental pick, if the tartar build up is that bad, the dog needs a professional cleaning. This is not a DIY project.

Those “no anesthesia” dentals that groomers offer are cosmetic…they don’t address issues like infection. Most of the trouble is lurking under the gums and root area, you can’t see it, but the vet can when he has the dog under, then he can do extractions as necessary and take care of things he couldn’t if the dog was awake.

Youtube has some excellent “how to brush your dog’s teeth” videos. Once he has a professional cleaning and you start daily brushings, he should be all set for quite a while.

#73550 Report Abuse
    chris

I see no problem with it if the dog let’s you do it and you don’t have to fight with them. Again though my dog doesn’t like the brushing which I think is just the bristle feeling and so this was another route I got recommended to try. I do agree though that some of it could have to do with under the gums. Though doing the dental pick and just scraping a little off the teeth and giving the dogs the proper chews should work fine. I actually asked my vet about this as well and his specific words were “you can try it, it couldn’t hurt to try” and the proper chews to help with the dogs gums go a long way.

#73553 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I have read/heard accounts of people who swear by consumption of all-raw and improvement in teeth condition of dogs. But brushing or an equivalent method is also essential. What I use on Bruno are small gauze patches wrapped around my finger with some coconut oil on them, and I scrub his teeth with it. For the back teeth I do need a brush though because his mouth is small.

#73872 Report Abuse
    chris

Hate to revive this just to ask one little question, but I felt it was best then to make a new one.

I have went out and took all your guys opinions and bought a 5 pound bag of Orijen to try. I have also found a great place to get Elk antler chews cheap (14 inch antler for $18.00) and it’s local. I have bought a few cans of the tripe, sardines. I ordered chicken feet and they should be here this week.

Now for Kefir, I have searched everywhere locally and I can not find it, the only thing I found was something at our Walmart and it was Kefir Milk plain. Is this what I want to try or is there a way to make it myself etc?

#73873 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Hey, Chris!

All questions are always welcome! So happy you have been doing research and homework and that you have gotten new stuff for your boy. I hope he likes them all.

As for the Kefir, I think the plain one from Walmart is what you need, but you can find info on making it yourself here: http://www.kefirlady.com/prices.html and in general if you google Kefir grains. You can purchase them online or at specialty health and natural herbal stores locally.

#73874 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Chris:
    The Wal-Marts in my area sell Lifeway kefir. I believe they all sell this brand, not positive. Is this the brand you found?
    http://lifewaykefir.com/

Regardless of the brand look for plain, no added sugar. Or you can get creative and use Naturella’s link to find out how to make your own.

#73876 Report Abuse
    chris

Correct that is the brand. I was going to buy it, but I was unsure if that was the correct thing I kept hearing about. Now that the closest Walmart is 45 minutes from me that’s a bummer. I do happen to have a local Organics food shop about 5 minutes away that I can check out Monday too see if they sell the grains.

Also, it’s really that simple to make?! Geeze I had no idea. Probably would be cheaper to just make it myself then.

How do I make kefir?

It is so simple. Put all your kefir grains into a clean glass jar. Put about five times the milk over them. Cold from the refrigerator will work just fine. Leave them at room temperature until the next day. Stir and strain them then start the process over. Be sure to taste it every time so you know how to adjust the milk for the next time. If it is too sour add more milk. If it is way too sour double the milk or remove some kefir grains from the culture jar. That’s all you really need to know.

Thanks for that link btw that’s where I got this from hehe, it explains a good bit! The most expensive part probably is going through the milk itself, but that shouldn’t be an issue. ๐Ÿ™‚

#73877 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I would be one to make my own kefir, but the ready-made one is kind if convenient if it were closer. ๐Ÿ™‚

#73921 Report Abuse
    chris

Naturella- yeah i’m going to look around and see if I can find it rather then making it myself as when you start making it yourself I notice you will run into some money lol… Cheaper to buy it at the stores already made ๐Ÿ™‚

#73924 Report Abuse
    chris

I wanted to add I fed him some ricotta cheese today on top of his Merricks and he enjoyed that a ton. I know one of you posted a link to taking kefir and fruit and making frozen treats out of it. I was wondering what fruits are best or are allowed for that matter. I know some fruits including grapes especially dogs can’t really have. I have a garden of my own that I have strawberries and blueberries growing all naturally as I don’t use pesticides or anything. Was wondering if they would be okay to use.

I also have home made sweet potatoes growing and was going to mash them up and put them on his food once in a while. ๐Ÿ™‚

#73925 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Chris what you are growing in your garden is wonderful for your pup. I have a small garden this year, but I still will have some sweet potatoes and pumpkins for Bobby. I always pick my own blueberries from a local farm during growing season and freeze them.

I have a few links I can post about what foods are appropriate. I have to see what folder I saved them in. And yes, never grapes. They really don’t even know what kind, or what causes illnesses in dogs involving grape consumption. Onions and chocolate would be others to steer clear of. I will post the links when I find them. I am sure others will be by with some info too!

#73950 Report Abuse
    chris

That would be great Bobby! Yeah I have a book that I had got from a friend that has like the most known ones listed that dogs shouldn’t have, but that is it. I also end up freezing a ton of fruit as well. We have SOOO many bushels of black raspberries here that I usually end up freezing around 4 gallons a year or so during the season. We also just recently last year found Tea-berries growing in the woods and been collecting them to freeze. So I do happen to have a ton of natural foods around, but I wouldn’t have the last idea what would be “okay” to feed him. I assume most of all berries are fine since you can find them all in the wild anyways.

#74229 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Here’s a few links about what is safe for dogs. As with everything, there are things you might find contradictory or questionable. Always check with your Vet when in doubt:
    https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control
    http://canigivemydog.com/

Here’s a recipe for making sweet potato chews:
    http://www.kimshealthyeats.com/homemade-sweet-potato-dog-treats/

#74291 Report Abuse
    chris

Wow, thanks Bobby. That site is great for showing what is toxic and non toxic. I was surprised how much of a list it actually has. I agree some they have listed are questionable, but that is just something that common sense should think about.

For instance they have no raw meat bones, but everyone on here would probably disagree to that lol

#74292 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

You’re welcome!

Exactly, when researching anything on the Internet you will come across contradictions, slightly different information or what have you. On both sites there are recommendations for some things that I include in my pet care routine that they may deem as little to no benefit to my dog or cats; in those cases I check in with my Vet.

#74322 Report Abuse
    chris

Great to know Bobby, thanks again!

#81886 Report Abuse
    David H

Try once – virbac c.e.t. enzymatic oral hygiene chews.

Viewing 19 posts - 101 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.