At my wits end! weight loss food.

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum At my wits end! weight loss food.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Christine W

I have a 9 year old Pug,she is 3 pounds overweight,like a fool i listened to the vet,had her on Science Diet weight Loss,she did lose weight,however i know it’s junk.After 2 weeks of homework,put her on Wellness reduced fat,she ate it for 2 days? and now puts her nose up at it.She seems to prefer chicken,as my 1 year old is on Wellness toy breed,and she’ll eat that,but it’s not going to help her weight problem.
    I had gotten Earthborn holistic samples,again,she ate it,chicken,but it’s not for weight loss.ANY help would be appreciated.I prefer a 5 star food,no canola oil,etc.

#88020 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Take a look at Annamaet Lean. If that doesn’t work, choose a high quality food & feed less.

#88023 Report Abuse
    Christine W

Thank you! 🙂 I guess i am going to have to do 2 more weeks of homework to find a low fat food,weight loss labeled or not.But she’s worth it to me 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Christine W. Reason: adding
    #88025 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Definitely ZiwiPeak, read list of clean ingredients on Chewy.com. Add Dasuquin daily for joint health. And most importantly, more exercise. Never starve or underfeed.

#88030 Report Abuse
    Christine W

I’ve never heard of that one,thank you! God no,i would never underfeed!!!! I do use Chewy as well,thank you! 🙂

#88139 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

I now have Jack on Annamaet lean and so far no weight loss. I’m having the same problem with my Boston as Christine W. has with her Pug. I did better with Wellness Core Reduced Fat. I still need a safe low fat/calorie treat. Any suggestions I can get at the pet store or feed store?

#88140 Report Abuse
    Christine W

Kathleen! i hope you get an answer,i have not found a treat either,and they run in,and sit in front of the counter and wait for one,LOL my puppy will eat carrot,but my 9 year old? forget it! she has also lost interest in the Wellness low fat food 🙁 Annamaet sent me samples,i’m wondering if its worth the shot.Like i said she has lost more weight on of ALL food? Science Diet! UGH

#88141 Report Abuse
    Christine W

I just noticed Annamaet has Lean Treats,19 calories per treat,i don’t know if that’s high? i also noticed they have Algae in their food? i don’t get that either.

#88142 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Kathleen,
    Can you tell me how much each dog weighs and how many calories per cup are in the food?

#88143 Report Abuse
    C4D

Are you feeding your dog’s per the feeding guidelines based on what the dog’s ideal weight should be? Also (like people) dogs really don’t need and shouldn’t have treats all day long. I only use them for training or working with a new foster.

Christine W, 19 calories per treat is a high calorie treat, even for my 80 lb labs.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by C4D.
    #88145 Report Abuse
    Christine W

C4D,thank you! yes i checked the little liver treats i have,they are only 2.8 calories per treat.Wow the other one is high.The Wellness Core reduced fat is 360 per cup,the Science Diet,which she refuses to give up eating is 291.I can’t stand that she wants that food! but she did lose weight on it.I’m still working on this.
    Can someone tell me since she is 22 pounds and my vet wants her at 19 or 20,how much to really feed her a day? any comments or help is so appreciated! 🙂

#88147 Report Abuse
    C4D

I’m including the DFA link for the feeding calculator. According to the numbers I put in:
    Ideal weight: 19 lbs/20 lbs
    Activity Level: overweight
    Calories per cup: 360
    Your should be feeding .98/1.02 cups per day depending on which weight you want. This total would be including ALL treat calories, so you have to add them in, or reduce the food. Treats should never account for more than 10% of their daily food intake. If you overtreat and underfeed, you would be undernourishing the dog. Since the calories of the food are 360 and she should be getting 10% max in treats, those high calorie treats would put her over on just 2 treats! If she seems hungry, wetting her food with warm water will make her feel fuller. Also, adding cooked frozen green beans is another trick that often works. I almost forgot this. Make sure you are using a real measuring cup that has all of the increments. Many private dog stores have them for free. Good Luck!

Link:

/dog-feeding-tips/dog-food-calculator/

#88169 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

Dr. Tim’s dog food was around 250 cal per cup if I remember right and that’s low. I didn’t try it because I wanted to get back to grain free to see if that was why my dog wouldn’t lose weight. So far going from Weruva (not grain free) to Annamaet (grain free low fat) has not made any difference. Of course it’s so terribly hot here that we aren’t walking like we used to either.

#88170 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

If my dog, who should weigh between 18 and 19 pounds and is now close to 20, ate almost a cup a day he would weigh 50 pounds. He gets 1/4 cup twice a day with some low cal treats like green beans, carrots, some very low fat treats from my local pet store that I can trust. If I can get him back to 19 pounds I plan on giving him 1/3 cup twice a day, but I have to have some results first.

#88171 Report Abuse
    Christine W

I have the exact same problem right now,it’s well over 100 degrees,and was 86 at 10pm last night,so i am trying to play with her as much as possible inside.

#88172 Report Abuse
    C4D

LOL Kathlleen C! I totally understand. I actually feed my dogs less than any of the calculators or feeding guidelines and they go on long, fast walks daily.

Christine W, I have the opposite problem with brutal winter months. Exercise does help. Do you have a pool for her to swim? Or maybe a long walk at a big box pet store?

#88173 Report Abuse
    Christine W

Hi C4D, this weather is horrible the past week! she dislikes water,but my fawn puppy loves the pool.It wasn’t this bad here,it just got over 100 the past week :p I do have the big stores,however i’v had 2 vets tell me not to do it,because you never know how clean their floors are,and if they clean them properly,even though they have all shots.Crazy isn’t it? It still amazes me she lost the most weight on the Science Diet my old vet told me about,i dislike the food! but? it did help! now if i could only find a better one.Have tried Wellness & now have Annamaet,she put her nose up at both after a few days 🙁 starting to wonder about Dr Tims?

#88178 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

Jack and I play tug a lot. He has 5, count them, 5 murdered squeaky toys. I gather them all up and throw them when I can get all of them away from him. He loves that. I can walk him in Home Depot, Tractor Supply, and the pet store. He has been a little less house trained in the big stores like that. Even lifted his leg in the feed store. I really have to watch him. He’s extremely house trained but these places just tempt him.

#88179 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

Dr. Tim’s is not grain free, if that’s important to you. There is nothing Jack will turn his nose up at, even lettuce.

#88180 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Kathleen,
    Dr Tim’s does indeed make grainfree formulas.

#88181 Report Abuse
    Christine W

Don’t feel bad Kathleen LOL,my 2 girls mark their turf anywhere! but never in the house.The Pug i lost last June 🙁 would eat anything,i mean anything! but my 9 year old? very picky!
    Thank you for that info Inked.

#88194 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

I’m sure Dr. Tim’s does have grain free, but I emailed them and was told the low fat one I was going to use was not grain free. That’s the question I was answering. It sounds like a great low fat food and I would have loved to get it, but my idea for changing food was to see if, for some reason, he was unable to lose weight because he was now eating non grain free kibble. Dog food is much harder to figure out than human food.

#88196 Report Abuse
    Christine W

Dr Tims i believe i read was 286 a cup,however,i wish Mike would chime in as it has beet pulp right at the top,and i’m curious,it says dried,first time i’ve seen that.I’m going to see if he rates this food.Yes i see it’s not grain free,but i may try it.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Christine W. Reason: misspell
    #88421 Report Abuse
    Maria K

Recommend:
    – Wellness Core Reduced Fat
    – Annamaet Lean
    – Weruva
    – Dr. Time’s Metabolite Weight Management
    Avoid:
    – Science Diet Weight Loss

Earthborn Holistic can be good or bad depending on which formula you choose. The same with ZiwiPeak.

#88481 Report Abuse
    Christine W

Has anyone had luck with weight loss and Dr Tim’s? it’s the only one i haven’t tried yet that she hasn’t put her nose up to yet,LOL

#88494 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

I’ve used all except Dr. Tim’s to get Jack to lose weight and Wellness Core is the only one that he kept the weight off on a regular basis. I changed because I was trying to find out if he was allergic to chicken. He’s not. I’m now using Annamaet Lean and if that doesn’t keep his weight down I will go back to Wellness.

#88541 Report Abuse
    Christine W

Well,she put her nose up to the Wellness and Annamaet,i just don’t understand why.

#88552 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

If she is healthy, it’s time for “tough love”: put the food down, leave it for 20min. Pick up what wasn’t eaten & she gets nothing else, nothing, til the next meal.

#88671 Report Abuse
    Christine W

I agree Marie.As soon as Chewy gets Dr Tim’s back in? i’m going to try that next.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Christine W. Reason: missspelling
    #88676 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Christine,
    If you happen to live in the northeast, SportDogFood carries Dr Tim’s.

#88684 Report Abuse
    Kristy O

I’ve been reading (through online research sites and hear) good things about the Fromm weight loss dog food (Gold, Gold Coast, and Four Star Weight Management) but I haven’t yet tried one of them…I’m leaning toward one of the 2 Gold choices right now. I have a female, spayed German Shorthaired Pointer (GSP), about 9 years old who is tremendously overweight. I volunteer for the Illinois Shorthair Rescues and she came to us as a foster dog from a kill shelter. She was with us for one day and became ours forever. 🙂 She’s so sweet, but I’m thinking she was likely a puppy mill dog – at the very least a backyard breeder/breeder dog. It’s obvious she has had several litters of pups. She should weigh between 50-60 pounds and definitely not over 70, but she’s over 80 lbs. 🙁 In all fairness, she came to us overweight, with heartworm and multiple other problems, so it’s been difficult to work too much on her weight loss; however, she’s now heartworm free and we’re working diligently to get the weight off. We run her every morning on a nearby farm (as far as she can tolerate – also has hip problems) and have cut back on her food to approx. 2 cups/day and a couple treats in between. We currently feed Exclusive, which works well for our other GSP (she has Addison’s Disease). As a matter of fact, I believe that food really helped to save her life when she was diagnosed years ago. I digress. Sorry. I’m thinking about trying the Fromm for both of them now. Has anybody else tried their products? Would be happy to hear if you have. The weight management products ARE on the list of Editor’s Choice at 4 Stars, so it must be pretty good. Please let me know what you all think. Thanks!

#88687 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

This isn’t the right place for this question, but looked all over and couldn’t find better. I picked up some treats at the vet this morning. Purina Pro Plan Vet Diets: Gentle Snackers. I didn’t see the ingredient list first or I wouldn’t have gotten it. However, can you tell me if anything hydrogenated is OK to give a dog or any animal? I know it’s not good for me, can we feed dogs this? The mere name Purina should have warned me I know, but it’s just a treat.

#88699 Report Abuse
    Christine W

Kathleen,these are the ingredients:Starch, hydrolyzed soy protein isolate, vegetable oil, dicalcium phosphate, oat fiber, powdered cellulose, partially hydrogenated canola oil preserved with TBHQ, potassium chloride, guar gum, lecithin, corn oil, choline chloride, magnesium oxide, DL-Methionine, salt, taurine, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, niacin, ferrous sulfate, calcium carbonate, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, garlic oil, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

I usually stay away from Canola oil.

#88702 Report Abuse
    Z B

Kathleen
    Among other questionable ingredients –I wouldn’t eat hydrolized soy protein myself. I wouldn’t feed it to my dog.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Z B.
    #88705 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

Canola oil is the only thing on that list you wouldn’t eat? I usually get mayonnaise with Canola oil. Like Z B I wouldn’t eat anything hydrogenated. I doubt very much if any animals should. This is going back to the vet for a refund. Thanks everyone for your help.

#88706 Report Abuse
    Christine W

UGH i totally missed you asking that.That’s what i get for not wearing my glasses.Yes i agree 100%

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.