Allergy Friendly Premium Dog Food?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Allergy Friendly Premium Dog Food?

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Kevin W

Our Dogs:
    6 year old Boston
    7 month old staffy

My boston has been on taste of the wild all her life (had horrible allergies as a puppy until the switch to taste of the wild)

I’m having a similar situation with our new staffy. She hasn’t had the best time from staph infections from scratching due to some allergy? Had to have part of her leg bone removed due to growth plate bone sealing way to soon. Got fixed a few days ago and just nonstop need for antihistamines and steroids. Poor girl is just not having a good time. She is a ball of energy and VERY loving and strong.

Stool is completely normal consistency, color, and no diarrhea. Had vet test ita few days ago came back clean, had blood work done before fixing, all clear.

However, you all are here like me because we love our dogs so much and want only the best.

We started switching them both to origin adult we made it to about 50/50 (a month of transition) and the allergies still wouldn’t stop. However, the allergies didn’t start until after her leg surgery around 5 months. So we have been completely lost.

What is a high quality on the editors choice list that would best fit a possible allergy to either foods we’ve tried? We have switch to all organic and hypo cleaning products for around the house, cloths, sheets, everything as well.

I just want my baby to no longer be miserable and I refuse to put her on Royal or Hills vet diets that my vet won’t stop shoving down my though.

Thanks for any help, advice, and recommendations.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Kevin W. Reason: added info
    #75797 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Yep, I went through the same thing and then some with my 2 staffordshire terriers mix during the 1st two years. I spent a fortune until I found ZiwiPeak Lamb dehydrated and Zignature Zssentials. And Aroma Paws jasmine honeysuckle all natural shampoo. I removed all of the controversial ingredients with these 2 foods and I’ll never go back.

#75799 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

Looks like a wonderful food, but very far out of my price range. I’m looking in the 50-100$ for 20-30lb dry kibble range. Their site states $173 for 11lbs.

#75800 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

I agree, I sometimes mix the two together. Zignature Zssentials is 27 lbs for $59.99 on the website “chewy.com”. Fast & free shipping. They have very competitive prices on high quality dog foods. Ingredients are listed as well. I now get everything from there & it’s at my door in 2 to 3 days. Anyway, our vet visits are now a thing of the past.

#75801 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

Not bad, I’m looking at /dog-food-reviews/holistic-blend-grain-free-dog-food/

Seems like no controversial ingredients but don’t know how much it costs or if you can get it on that chewy site.

#75802 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Looks yummy! Too bad my pups can’t have it. They don’t do well on potato, sweet potato, yeast extract. Makes them itchy, hot spots. They were born into Orijen until last year. Iall of a sudden, it wreaked havoc on their digestive tracts. Too too many ingredients. I thought about getting an allergy test from Glacier Peak but haven’t yet. $85 per pup, yikes.

#75803 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

Hmm, I wonder if potato is a average allergen for dogs. This changing foods is such a headache because its not instant to know if its a fix or not. I hear allergy panels are worthless at least from what my vet has told me. That plus you have to wait several months to a year after your pet has had any steroid shots.

I know home cooked/made food would be best as to control the ingredients but that isn’t really possible either being on a limited budget unfortunately.

I really had hoped the editors choice foods would have been listed in some order and an explanation as why or have a listing for limited ingredients yada yada.

#75804 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Wild yeast naturally lives on potatoes, so I avoid all potatoes. It also feeds off of/thrives on oatmeal (in foods AND shampoos).

I transitioned for an entire year thru half of the 5 star listing to realize it was all the different fillers being used. Also, limited ingredient formulas may not have enough nutrition (my pups starved on it). I finally took out chicken, potato, tapioca, egg, and weird fruits/flowers. I chose peas as their only food “filler”. I skipped their dinner then switched the food cold turkey the next morning. Results were within days, not months. I do not agree anymore with these long drawn out transitioning periods, especially when their dog is suffering every second of every hour. It’s like you know the food is bad but you keep giving it to them, makes zero sense.

#75832 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

The most top of the line super premium food will be worthless if your dog is intolerant to one or more ingredients it contains.

You need to figure out what’s causing the problem and eliminate it. Keep in mind that dogs can be intolerant of much more than animal protein or grain and that true allergies are extremely rare. For example, my dog is intolerant of fish, flax, rice, barley, wheat, millet, chickpeas, lentils, tomato, garlic, etc…. the list goes on.

You need to start by choosing a very simple food with a protein and a starch that are both novel to your dog. If you’re up for it, you can conduct a true elimination diet, but they require strict discipline.

One food you might consider is California Natural Lamb & Rice, assuming she hasn’t had either lamb or rice previously.

#75836 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

DogFoodie nailed it on the head! Switching dog foods is worthless if you are switching to a food that still contains whatever your dog is intolerant to! LID diets would be a good place to start in ruling out what your dog can’t handle. My vet told me to do an elimination diet for 12 weeks for my dog because shes convinced he has both seasonal and food allergies. (I personally believe its just seasonal). Consider that he could also have environmental allergies if you are noticing that he has the issues with scratching all year round even when you feed a food with a novel protein.

Oh I should note I also have a AmStaff and they are very prone to yeast and skin issues. My dog gets yeast infections under his nail beds and in his ears. I’ll be ordering Wysong Epigen 90 as soon as my current food he’s on is almost out to try to manage his yeast. It’s unlike any other dry kibble on the market as it is (dry matter basis) 70% protein, 18% fat and 4% carbs! And completely starch free!

Edit– Brothers Complete makes a “hypoallergenic” dog food as well however just like with most of these types of food including Wysong the price tag is hefty.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Pitlove.
    #75842 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

Thank you both for your recommendation. She has had lamb meal in her taste of the wild, no rice though. Does California make another one we could try? Should we also switch the Boston food as well?

#75845 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Something else I was thinking was that it could be a reaction to the anesthesia or some or medication used during the procedures.

If there’s lamb in her current diet, I’d pass on the California Natural Lamb & Rice. What about turkey, duck or rabbit. Has she NOT eaten any of those? If not, another one to try would be Nature’s Variety Instinct LID. Here’s a link to their product page so you can take a look: http://www.instinctpetfood.com/instinct-limited-ingredient-food-dogs-and-cats

If she doesn’t have a problem with lentils, another to try would be California Natural GF Salmon & Peas: http://www.californianaturalpet.com/products/1731

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by DogFoodie.
    #75850 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

She has had chicken, Turkey, bison, lamb, beef, salmon, white fish, venison.

#75851 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

She has this under neck and arms from barely scratching

#75852 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

What about this and we can get it local
    LIMITED INGREDIENT AND BIOLOGICALLY APPROPRIATEโ„ข DOG FOOD
    DELIVERED FRESH EACH DAY
    ACANA Duck & Bartlett Pear features an unmatched variety of local ingredients that are raised by people we know and trust, passed fit for human consumption, and then delivered to our door fresh each day!

INGREDIENTS
    Duck meal, deboned duck*, green lentils, red lentils, duck liver*, pears*, duck fat, green peas, yellow peas, algae, garbanzo beans, pumpkin*, carrots*, freeze-dried
    duck liver, kelp, chicory root, ginger root, peppermint leaf, lemon balm, mixed tocopherols (preservative), dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.
    *DELIVERED FRESH

#75853 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

OK, then I’d probably try the NVI LID and would choose either duck or rabbit.

And, yes, like Pitlove mentioned, it could definitely also be seasonal allergies. My dog with food intolerances also has seasonal allergies, but my dog that can eat anything, has none. Also, because of the age of your puppy, you would likely just now be starting to see those seasonal allergy symptoms and you have nothing to connect them to except food. I would start keeping a journal now of all of her symptoms and once you’ve cycled a year, you might start to see some patterns. I would still change her food, just in case.

For my dog’s seasonal allergies this year, I started using Quercetin with Bromelain and Papain along with an Omega 3 supplement. I also started putting Collodial Silver drops in his ears. It’s helped quite a bit and our pollen levels have been at a 20 year high. I’ve noticed my guy starts scratching his ears more when the mold is high. Which it is today after yesterday’s storms.

Here’s an article that references the supplements I mentioned: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/06/22/pets-seasonal-allergies.aspx

#75854 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Yes, I would go for the Acana Duck and Pear. That product used to be grain inclusive and isn’t any longer. Just be careful and make sure that you’re buying the new formula with the ingredients you mentioned above.

#75855 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Ugh, just saw your picture. That’s some irritated looking skin. Yeah, you need to break the itch / scratch cycle. The Mercola article I linked above has some ideas for rinses that you can use to wipe her off after she’s been outside.

Do you bathe her often? What kind of shampoo do you use? My favorite shampoos are from Mercola: http://products.mercola.com/healthypets/dog-shampoo/. You might be able to find it at a boutique pet shop near you. I also like Halo: http://shop.halopets.com/Products/All-Grooming-Supplies?type=grooming; and Earthbath: http://earthbath.com/product-category/shampoo/ I would be careful not to use any grain-inclusive grooming products, just in case yeast on the skin is a concern.

You already have one breed susceptible to skin and food issues, but your new pup is notorious for the same issues.

#75856 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

Ok great I will replace it, they are giving me a free bag of food where I bought the origin. Heading there now and I will tell you what we wash her with when I’m back from errands and lunch.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Kevin W.
    #75859 Report Abuse
    Gloria C

My American bulldog had severe skin allergies too. Last month I switched his food to Great Life Dr. E’s grain and potato free limited ingredient buffalo dog food and his allergies have disappeared. Best of all, he eats his kibble without having to add anything to it.

#75860 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

Can I avoid getting more taste of the wild for a transition and just switch?

#75862 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Great recommendation Gloria. I have heard really good things about Great Life though I havent used it myself. I’ve looked at their website too and liked the look of the formulas.

#75863 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Kevin– You can do that however, I would look into a probiotic to help the tranistion. If you are shopping at a store that carries Orijen and Acana you are probably shopping at a small pet store similar to where I work. They carry different probiotics. See if any of the store employees are knowledgable with that kind of stuff.

#75865 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Adding plain, canned pumpkin will help with the transition and add bulk to any loose stool that might occur.

#75868 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

Just left, what should I look for they have every high end dog food at my ace hardware.

#75874 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

I’m disturbed by that for some reason, but regardless what DogFoodie said would work. I have used Lifeway kefir from Walmart and it’s worked very well for when I switch my dogs food as I don’t transition foods anymore.

#75875 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Great Life is a bit sketchy what with their “silent recall wait not a recall” and all.

I think Ace Hardware’s may be a franchise actually, as they seem to have some pretty different products from store to store. The one in my little town is very small, without any pet supplies at all, but the one in the town where I can actually buy things is gigantic, and while their pet supply is lacking, their kitchen section is better than most higher end kitchen stores in my opinion. Unsure what brands his has, but its likely they may have something (seems like a place Nutrisource would be hanging out, since menards carries it as well)

#75876 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/great-life-pulls-buffalo-kibble/

Eh, I mean, that isn’t something that would honestly concern me. But thats just me. They pulled it off the shelf for a rancid smell. Thixton doesn’t state how they handled it at first, which I’m surprised she doesn’t.

I looked on Ace’s website and found mainly Purina, Science Diet, Nutro, Blackwood and the like. Wonder where Kevin lives that they are carrying Orijen/Acana!

#75877 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

Each Ace Hardware is individually owned so besides the obvious ace brand stuff they can sell pretty much anything. The staff there is very into dogs and the foods they sell. I personally know the owners and they are HUGE dog people so they make sure they sell the best. They don’t sell anything that’s had a recall or things that you’d find at a gas station.

Here is some of their selection.
    https://imgur.com/a/Sba2t#0

#75879 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Blackwood is fine. Great Life’s “Withholding” was done silently so they didn’t have to be called out on a recall, which bothers me. Enough good foods out there to not mess around with people who don’t share information and do the right things, I say

#75882 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Kevin, that’s quite a selection! I like most of those brands (pass on evangers). I’d been looking for Open Farm too, I really like the sounds of their company

Edit: I see some good treats too!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by aquariangt.
    #75884 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

I understand your logic on that Aquariangt and dear god that is a crazy selection of dog foods! They almost have a better selection than the small pet store I work at! Very impressive for a Ace Hardware. I can imagine that people that don’t know about it give you funny looks when you say you buy your dog food at a hardware store lol

#75885 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

Yeah its an awesome place, and they constantly add new foods and can custom order about anything. I live in Greenwood, Indiana. They even do a weekly radio show and constant dog rescue events.

This is their address and info
    Summerfield Ace Hdw LLC (Two fat guys ace)
    2101 Independence Dr
    Greenwood, IN 46143
    Open today
    8:00 am โ€“ 8:00 pm
    (317) 859-2404

#75886 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

The pictures I took was just some of what they offered (I was in a hurry). They have amazing two isle area of dog treats as well. It’s quite impressive and they always have great prices and deals and never overcharge for food.

#75888 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

Both my dogs loved the duck acana and the pumpkin ๐Ÿ™‚ I just hope so much that my baby can finally not suffer so badly. We are using a cortisone stayon 1% lotion for her right now from the vet to offer some relief so hope it kicks in. She wears a doggy shirt all the time to keep her from scratching till she cuts herself so we can avoid yet another staph infection.

I so greatly appreciate all of you for taking the time out of you life to help me and my babies. I will look into the probiotics/supplements as well as shampoos to help keep her safe and comfortable. I’m just glad she is so bullheaded and outgoing so she doesn’t let this keep her down.

How often should I give the pumpkin as well? The people there said a tbs or two with each feeding. Should I give it more often or larger amounts?

#75893 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

I see Quercetin is for histamine management which I would like to add, can you recommend any of these from amazon? Also, is there one that would have omega 3 in it as well?

I’m going to by Mercola’s Organic Peppermint shampoo for her on amazon as well so would like to just get everything from there if possible so any recommendations are welcomed

This is for all dog suppliments with it in it
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=Quercetin

I’m considering this with both Quercetin 500mg/Bromelain250mg per tab
    http://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-Quercetin-Bromelain-180-Count/dp/B000NRYTPM

#75894 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I haven’t dealt with any antihistamines, hopefully DogFoodie will see this and chime back in because her Golden is allergic to the entire world, i’m pretty sure ๐Ÿ˜‰

I have a girl that gets itchy from time to time, I’ve cut a few things out, but a lot of it is environmental. I use a product from I and Love and you called “My Skin’s Itchy” but they are about to discontinue it. I have this now to try next when my bottle runs out

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-Skin-Itch-Homeopathic-Remedy/999252.aspx

#75895 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Kevin, it is our pleasure! Like I said, I know what you are going through. My AmStaff is having skin issues as well AND on top of that we just fought off fleas. He was torn apart by them, but just like your girl, my boy is always full of life and energy and hasn’t let his itchiness get him down. During the fleas I did notice him not as livly though and it killed me. I always tell him I’m sorry I’m failing him in fixing his issues, not that he knows what I’m saying lol.

#75897 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

LOL, aquariangt! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hi Kevin,

I’d second the same recommendations you were given for the pumpkin.

Here’s the Quercetin I use: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-quercetin-bromelain-250-78-mg-250-caps. I use a lot of products from Swanson. They have great prices on stuff and carry a huge variety. They even have hygiene and grocery items. Free shipping with a minimum purchase.

If I were choosing from the products you linked from Amazon, I’d probably choose the Now. I really like Solgar products, but the Solgar Quercetin with Bromelain includes things I’d rather not.

#75898 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

Yeah, I have no Idea what’s what when it comes to supplements as I’ve never used anything ever. I just want to aid where I can and also be able to afford it.

The Doctor’s Best Quercetin/Bromelain Capsules ingredients are:

#75907 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

That one sounds good, too. Those “other ingredients” are probably part of the capsule. If necessary, you could ditch the capsule and mix the contents into her food.

#75908 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

Awesome I’ll pick some up. Also when using pumpkin for their transition how do I feed it and how much? Boston is 30lb and my staffy is nearing 35.

Do I mix the food and they eat as they please or serve as a treat throughout the day etc.

#75910 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

I use canned pumpkin only when I see loose stool. I don’t know about everyone else, but that is how I use it.

#75915 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

Ok great, how much should I feed them if I notice a loose stool?

#75917 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

You can use it with each meal if you’re making a cold turkey switch without a transition if your pups aren’t used to rotation. Or, you could choose to just use it in the event of a loose stool. A tablespoon for your smaller dogs with each meal should be fine.

#76094 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

Ok, the switch is going fine thankfully. She is still itchy poor baby but it hasnt been long yet.

What dosage and schedule should I be doing for the Quercetin & Bromain mix? I get so many conflicting doses online. Anything from 1000mg a day 500 in morning and at night to just 250 for the entire day. She weighs 33.2lb right now.

#76096 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

She was also diagnosed with a histiocytoma after a fluid test of the tumor. This girl just can’t get a damn break.

#76100 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

OMG Kevin! Im sorry. She really can’t get a break. The breeder warned me about pitbulls when I got my boy and now I can see from mine and others experiences like yours that they really are prone to skin issues.

Happy that the switch is going well! I know we are all looking for our dogs to be healed instantly, but sometimes its not always fast. However, if she gets worse you will know fast.

#76113 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ She is a trooper but eating a bit less. Just need to know how much to give her of the supplement right now just giving her 250mg in the morning and that’s it for the day.

#76124 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Well Kevin, I bit the bullet and just ordered 2 allergy panel tests from Glacier Peak Holistics. My curiosity won out LOL. In the meantime, I ordered a bag of “starchless” Wysong Epigen 90 to rotate with the Zignature food (they have limited ingredient formulas as well).

Wow, your poor little girl but I’m sure she’s a tough cookie. Did your vet recommend surgical excision of the benign tissue growth if the mass hasn’t regressed within three months?

The 250 Q&B is good, she weighs so little, I’d give it at night before she goes to bed. It may help her sleep in more comfort. Or 125 every 12 hours is even better.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.