🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Shasta220

I’m sure you guys remember my good ol’ lab, Cassy. Well, I’m starting her on acv and just ordered some liquid Actiflex (it’ll cut her joint supplement cost from 20-40$/month to just 5-10$/month. Boo yah!). The dogs get fed outside of the house, and I don’t really want to hassle with measuring out the liquids every single day, so I thought of this:
    Freeze the supplements w some canned food, then just give her a cube a day on the food.

I’m wondering if there’s a chance for any of the nutrients to “freeze off” by doing so? (They would prob stay in the freezer for up to 2wks, since an ice cube tray will hold about 12-14 cubes)

Also, what’s a super affordable and still 4-5 star canned food that I can pop in there? My thoughts were maybe Natural Balance, or something from Diamond? I figured it wouldn’t matter too much since she’d just be getting 1-2tbsp daily, and she’s a good 70lb.

#35969 Report Abuse

I would call or email the company and ask if there is a storage temp for the product. If not, why not?!?! As for food, try Tractor Supply 4health canned. I use the canned chicken from time to time(not the chunk style, the pate) and have no complaints. Its cheap-like 99 cents for a can and rates fairly well.

#36017 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Ah I’ve heard great things about Tractor Supply. There aren’t any around here at all though 🙁

#36024 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

The affordable canned foods I use are Kirkland cuts in gravy (costco) and Pure Balance (Walmart). Also whole earth farms is not too bad either. Good luck. I hope your idea works out.

#36025 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Costco is a couple hours away…but I intend on stocking up on Kirkland dry food next time we to (since Diamond makes them, and the dogs are on DN – similar ingredients.). I think our little tiny Walmart finally started carrying PB, so I’ll have to look into that 🙂

#36032 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Well, if you make the trip to Costco to pick up the Kirkland dry food, look for their canned cuts in gravy as well. You have to buy a case of 24, but it’s only $18.79. So, only 78 cents a can for a 5 star food. Can’t beat it! Also, in addition to pure balance, Walmart carries Variety canned food that isn’t too bad. It’s a little high in fat, but a decent food at a reasonable price also.

#36039 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Thanks so much, I’ll look into it!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.