šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi all, I work for a pet shelter and, as summer comes around, a lot of our pets – especially rescues – start to get fleas. This humid weather out here in Georgia is the worst, isn’t it? Anyway, I recently purchased some Generic Capstar (Nitenpyram) from Happy Pet Labs.

I was honestly really happy with the order, since we’re trying to spend less. We got 30 capsules for about $14.99, but since they work so well we’re thinking about buying the 100 capsule count. We bought from them mainly since they’re sponsored by the ASPCA and they gave us a discount since we’re a no-kill shelter.

Anyway, I don’t usually make posts like this but I really feel like we should support small businesses who are just trying to help rescues like us out.

Do you guys know of where we can get tick and heartworm medication that works just as well and is generic/low cost? I’d really appreciate it!

#102416 Report Abuse
    Michael M

It’s hard to find a relatively heartworm medication these days. Bravecto, Trifexis, and NExguard have all caused major problems among their test subjects as well as just normal owners. I’ve even read they cause seizures. On the other hand, I’ve read that Sentinel is decent, and there are also these garlic pills you can buy. Might want to try that out as a cheaper option.

I’ve heard good things about Happy Pet Labs. Glad to know they’ve worked for you as well.

#102420 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Most shelters have an arrangement with a local veterinary clinic to get discount prices for services and products as a courtesy. That is the route I would pursue, as you will need a prescription for heartworm preventives.

Regarding garlic pills:
    Do a quick Internet search on natural ways to prevent fleas and ticks and youā€™ll come up with thousands of links. You could spend all day researching these home remedies. The problem: As much as we love using natural solutions when they work, many simply arenā€™t effective at controlling parasites. In some cases these ā€˜remediesā€™ can cause more harm than good for your pet.
    So before you add chopped up garlic to your animalā€™s food or bathe her in essential oils, check out our quick list of home remedies to avoid.
    Parasite Prevention and Removal Remedies That Donā€™t Work
    Bad Idea: Putting Garlic in Pet Food
    Even though a lot of people think this a safe and effective way to prevent fleas, thereā€™s no scientific evidence that garlic ā€” whether itā€™s fresh from the bulb, powdered or in a supplement ā€” can keep the parasites at bay. Even worse, garlic can be toxic to pets. Garlic contains substances that damage red blood cells in dogs in cats, potentially leading to life-threatening anemia if ingested in large quantities. (excerpt from:)http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/home-remedies-that-will-not-get-rid-of-fleas-and-ticks-and-may-hurt-your-pet

#102434 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You might look and see if there is a Rescued Pet Adoption League (RPAL) that your shelter can join. The one in my area has a little store but also will mail items at a flat rate, and they will sell in bulk. They have discounted food and supplies.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.