šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jo C

Hi,

I have a senior gal that I want to start adding a supplement specifically for her bones. Of course her bones are more fragile and just want to add more comfort for her especially for our walks. She is approx. roughly around 40 pounds from our last vet visit which she needs to go in soon for a check up. Any suggestions?

#93579 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Ask the vet when you take her in for a checkup, there are prescription meds that may help to keep her more comfortable. Does she need pain meds? Some meds have potential side effects, some don’t. So discuss the options with your vet.
    Supplements don’t do much of anything, but, they will help to lighten your wallet, lol

If you have pet health insurance, ask about aquatic therapy (swimming in a heated pool), if she is overweight or has bad joints, arthritis and your vet prescribes it, it may be covered. Otherwise, it’s a little pricey. It’s really good for them, even once or twice a week for a few minutes.

#93581 Report Abuse
    Jo C

Well she isn’t in pain though I was just thinking to add just for the long run since she is a senior and slower now. She happen to sprain her leg twice and vet gave me pain meds and anti-inflammatory meds and she got better. But I don’t know i’m just being that MOM trying to prevent anything. lol

#93582 Report Abuse
    anonymous

What are you feeding her now? You could try something like Dogswell Happy Hips
    https://www.chewy.com/dogswell-happy-hips-chicken-oats/dp/42571
    I like Nutrisca for my poodle-mix which is made by Dogswell, my terrier likes the Dogswell Vitality kibble.
    I was thinking of trying the Happy Hips…but, I am leery of supplements. http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/herbs-and-supplements/

Also, make sure she is getting enough water, add water to the kibble or even presoak overnight in the fridg to be on the safe side, a lot of dogs don’t drink enough water.

#93583 Report Abuse
    Jo C

She drinks a lot of water šŸ™‚ and I’ve been feeding her Chicken Soup for the Soul Dog Food half and half homemade food (Chicken, veggies, small sweet potato and brown rice). I also made some coconut and blueberry frozen treats for her last night.

#93584 Report Abuse
    anonymous

You could try something like Dogswell Happy Hips kibble as a base, and continue with the 1/2 homemade. Check chewy dot com for reviews and more information. My terrier does well on Nutrisca (same company), and my terrier likes the Dogswell Vitality kibble.

PS: I bet your vet will want to order some labs to rule out medical problems.
    Regarding supplements and such, check SkeptVet (google for web address) use the search engine there to look up specific topics.

#93587 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Dogswell Happy Hips Chicken & Oats Recipe Dry Dog Food
    Made with cage-free chickens that are raised without added growth hormones or added steroids and provide amino acids for muscle development and maintaining muscle tone. Helps Maintain Healthy Hips & Joints with Glucosamine & Chondroitin!
    The chicken breasts from cage-free chickens are raised without added growth hormones or added steroids and provide amino acids for muscle development and maintaining muscle tone. Vitamin E is an antioxidant rich essential fat soluble vitamin. Vitamin E keeps the connective tissues strong and prevents skin and muscles from losing elasticity.
    Key Benefits
    Real chicken as the first ingredient , providing essential amino acids to support muscle development and tone
    Antioxidant nutrients such as Vitamins A and E to support a healthy immune system
    With Glucosamine and ChondroitinĀ to help support proactive hip and joint healthy
    Fiber from real fruits and vegetables, such as carrots, apples and sweet potatoes, help support digestion and intestinal health
    No corn, wheat, soy, or artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
    (above is an excerpt from the chewy dot com site)

#93618 Report Abuse
    Jo C

I may look into it šŸ™‚

Thank you!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.