šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Leslie J

We have two collies, who weigh approx. 70 pounds each. We did the switchover to Zignature Trout and Salmon about 2 months ago from Fromm’s Duck/Sweet Potato. They love the Zignature! This is our first experience with grain free and from what I have read, I thought there would be less dog poop with being on grain free. We’ve seen the opposite with Zignature. Good solid poop, but alot more of it. My concern is that they aren’t digesting it properly, although I know it is a high fiber food. They also have lots a about 4 pounds since the switchover, but I attributed that to going grain free. I’ve been feeding them 3 cups throughout the day, even though I’m feeding more than what the guidelines recommend. I just don’t want them to lose any more weight and I would like to keep them on the Zignature. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it true that I can expect a weight loss after going grain free? I really don’t want them to lose anymore weight. They are both at a good weight now. I’m also giving them canned pumpkin for good digestion. They love that too!! Thanks so much!!

#76769 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

I switched my pups over to Zignature Zssentials when they became allergic to Orijen Adult (ingredient change probably). I decided to avoid chicken, egg and potato which was near impossible to find. They lost weight but in a good way, the baby fat, bloated bellies and gas disappeared and they’re nice and lean. The poop is more but firm and healthy. They’re 75 lbs each and eat 3 3/4 cup each, not including soft canned as a topper. Since birth, I’ve never fed them grain food.

#76770 Report Abuse
    Leslie J

Thanks so much zcRiley for sharing your experience with Zignature! Even though mine have lost a bit a weight since starting on Zignature, they do look much better and there is absolutely ZERO gas, which, to me, is a good sign that they aren’t having tummy troubles. I’m hoping that going grain free will also help ease the symptoms of ragweed allergies. We’ll see in a few weeks if it does! Give your pups a smooch for me!! Thanks again!

#76776 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

You’re welcome, Leslie! I’m sure they would lick you to death. Zignature isn’t well known, such a shame. I didn’t try its limited ingredient formulas because they starve on just one protein. Plus they hate fish LOL. Side note: their line of soft canned is not great, they wouldn’t touch it. I use Weruva and ZiwiPeak canned.

One thing I did do was the hair and saliva allergy test with http://www.glacierpeakhollistic.com. I should be getting the results next week. It’ll help me decide on new rotation food without guessing my way into a black hole.

#76988 Report Abuse

Hi Leslie: I have two standard schnauzers and Zignature is part of their rotation. They do really well on it. No gas, bloating and their coats look great. But, I too have a problem with the amount of poop. Even though it’s firm, it’s a lot and several times a day. They go about 3-4 times per day. I like that it has no chicken or potato. I definitely want to keep it in the rotation because I believe it’s a high quality food and the price point is good. However, I am looking for other foods I can add to the rotation in hopes of a little less poop. Other brands in our rotation are Horizon Legacy, Nulo and Fromm. We too have only fed grain free so I don’t have anything else to compare it too as far a poop frequency is concerned.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.