Your Most Recommended Dog Treats?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Treats Your Most Recommended Dog Treats?

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 350 total)
  • Author
    Gloria K

Olivia, you might want to read this-it will give you a better understanding of what the tanning process involves. The tanning process is not used for dog chews which is the inside softer part of the hide.http://www.petfactory.com/faq.html
    The outer part of the hide is tanned to be used for handbags, shoes, etc.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Gloria K.
    #69637 Report Abuse
    Ginny N

I have 2 dogs both of which are older ladies, one is a Sheppard/Lab and the other is a Mastiff/Lab. The Sheppard has always had stomach issues and last year, my little baby developed a food allergy where I almost lost her. It WAS commercial food and treats. She can’t eat anything commercial and quite frankly I don’t trust them.

Long story short, I opened a business where I make fresh biscuits that I use as my kibble and treats for my babies. Dogs love these treats, I usually have a following of dogs when I go to the dog park as I do try to carry free samples which I give to the owners if they wish.

I am quite passionate about what anyone feeds their dog. I don’t think any pet should be fed anything that contains items that are harmful to them. I don’t mean to offend anyone, but my opinion both as an pet owner and business owner is this:

1) If the ingredients are not human grade, then you are giving your pet/your child food that you would not eat. You are what you eat – your pet is what they eat.
    2) Both food and treats should be healthy and not compromise your pet’s health including their weight.
    3) Balanced diet including treats – meat, grains, fruits and veggies – always. Diet and exercise DOES make a different.
    4) Any food or treat should not have additives, preservatives, artificial sugars or ingredients that are not good for dogs. Dogs don’t eat stuff like this in the wild – why should we be feeding it to them because we can purchase the food from a store?
    5) Only deal with companies that stand behind their products – your pet/your child should be before profits.
    6) Fresh is the best. If your dog was living in the wild – they would hunt daily in the hope that what they eat is fresh.
    7) Always listen to your dog – if they gobble it down, it’s probably good but watch for any signs that the treats and/or food isn’t the best. We all like to eat things that aren’t the best for us. Eating gas, different behaviours, rashes, scratching etc. I have found to be key signs to look for as signs something is wrong. When in doubt – See a Vet – they are the experts.

#69785 Report Abuse
    Dori

Just read this and thought I should come on over and share. I don’t feed jerky but I know a lot of you do.

http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=36295&callshare=1

#69789 Report Abuse
    zuponicafe

My input on treats~anything that keeps a 15 w/o puppy interested while training!
    So far I’ve found just putting various things (ie:slivers of hot dogs, small cubes of hard cheese & some home made chicken liver brownies) into a crinkly ‘sample bag’ of kibble work OK, but it’s not that I AM THE UNIVERSE moment while trying to get my puppies attention back to me.
    He is still young, so I want to instill manners in a relatively head strong guy. I’m thinking something that smells awesome to him.

#69793 Report Abuse
    Dori

zuponicafe. If you feed kibble, a lot of the time you can just use their kibble as their treat. Dogs are typically food motivated. If you put some of their kibble in a separate jar or a baggy when you are out then they think it’s a treat. When I was feeding kibble I always did that. It always made my husband and I laugh.

#69811 Report Abuse
    Elizabeth P

Dori, I’m afraid I’d have to disagree with you based on my own experience. If what you do works for you, though, great. I teach an obedience class, and just tonight I gave my spiel on high value treats for training. I said don’t use your dog’s kibble. Go for something that really floats their boat. After all, if someone offered you a rice cake or a birthday cake as a reward for completing a task, which one would YOU choose. 🙂 For some dogs, that birthday cake is string cheese, for others it is green beans. My dogs usually work well for really smelly stuff, or things they rarely get in other contexts. Tonight it was tiny pieces of stew beef.

#69819 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Yay it let me log on today!

There is a big difference between treats to use in classes and treats around the house. Kibble can work for certain games around the house. Working for dinner-make it fun! When im teaching group classes though, ESPECIALLY where the dogs are working in close proximity to each other, I need something more hardy to keep their attention. I use a lot of freeze dried meat with my own, the one I do a lot with trains easily and doesn’t need a ton of motivation. The other one with issues I keep it coming, and I keep it varied. My training bag generally has 2-4 types of treats, plus a treat tube of peanut butter. The pouch I wear while im teaching also has 3-4 types of treats in it, I never know what I need to pull out for a certain dog. My agility dog could work for kibble since we only get treats at the end of a run for the most part, but I need other treats when im working certain skills and drills, so I just use the same treats through the whole evening.

#69824 Report Abuse
    C4D

I use a variety of treats when working with my dogs. The first time I brought my lab to a class years ago I had just basic treats. The instructor looked @ me and the fact that my dog wasn’t really that interested in following and said I need to bring the “A” treats. So I brought very small pieces of hot dog and it worked all the way through canine good citizen training.
    Now I have fosters that need to learn and respond to me and a reactive dog that I adopted. I do vary the treats within the bag. My favorite is a mix of freeze dried liver and lungs along with all natural human hot dogs and boiled chicken cut in very small pieces. It keeps them alert since the treat will vary each time.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by C4D.
    #69856 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I also use different treats for different situations. The come-in-from-the-back-yard treat is kibble. The Micah-I-want-you-to-do-the-dogwalk treat is baked liver. Stockwork needs no treat, it is its own reward.

#69860 Report Abuse
    Elizabeth P

Test message? Got it….

#70279 Report Abuse
    C4D

I think the previous post might be an ad. These treats appear to be from a website in India.

#70281 Report Abuse
    homzie

Ya I figured that. Stupid spammers even spamming a dog food site!

#70292 Report Abuse
    Debra C
    Participant

I have a finicky 11 year old mini schnauzer who knows when it is 7:30 every night and goes to wait for her petite senior Greenie. I know they had some issues a few years ago, but apparently took care of them. As much as she loves them, I like that they also help to clean her teeth. She also loves Zuke’s mini natural peanut butter treats. The ingredient list is good and since her kibble is dry (with a mix of beef , chicken, or turkey) I think she enjoys the soft texture of these and a different taste.

#70294 Report Abuse
    C4D

I used to use Zuke’s when they were a private company. They were purchased by Nestle Purina in January 2014. 🙁

#70319 Report Abuse
    Debra C
    Participant

I didn’t know that, but good news is the ingredient list hasn’t changed. Hopefully that was part of the deal and nothing will change because Zoe really loves them!

#70672 Report Abuse
    Emily W

What do you think about Wellness CORE Grain-Free Protein Bars? My boys love them. Also love Stella & Chewy’s Carnivore Crunch Freeze Dried Beef Recipe Dog Treats.

#70673 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

They’re ok. A bit heavy on fillers, and a bit big and not as soft as I like. I used them once, I’d give a half of one when we got home from training to each. Overall, not my favorite but better than most of the junk at box stores. If you want something that size, I like Plato’s EOS better

#70699 Report Abuse
    Gloria K

I have never tried the WELLNESS CORE protein bars because I make all of Mickey’s treats but I do supplement his homemade dog food with WC grain free reduced fat kibble and he absolutely goes crazy over it. I feed him his homemade food then fill his Kong wobbler with about a quarter cup of kibble and watch the fun begin.

#70743 Report Abuse
    Emily W

Mine eat the Wellness Core in the evening. I have 2 dachshunds that are mine and 2 dachshund that are fosters. They eat Wellness Stew in the morning or Stella & Chewy Freeze Dry. They don’t get many treats because I don’t want them eating to much junk food.

#70750 Report Abuse
    Gloria K

Lol I feed Mickey cubes of cheese, the cheddar/bacon is his favorite-mine too. But I also give him string beans, simmered for about six minutes then rolled in a dab of bacon grease in the pan. Store them in a little plastic baggie in the refrigerator and he thinks this is manna from heaven. Same goes for raw carrots or a slice of zucchini. These are great treats so you really don’t have to feed your dog “junk food”

#70777 Report Abuse
    Loren j

Hello Friends,
    I am planning to have shiba breed of dog. If you have any idea about it then please share.
    I have searched for http://www.shiba.pro/ website. I will glad to know about your views. Your views are welcome.

Thanks!!

#70797 Report Abuse
    Gloria K

Loren this is not an easy breed to raise. You may want to take a look at this article and if you need to know more just Google Shiba dog and you will have a lot more information.
    http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/shiba-inu

#71066 Report Abuse
    Emily W

I bought the Plato EOS and Sojos Simply and all my dachshunds love them. Thank you!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Emily W.
    #71268 Report Abuse
    Dave V

Oops, I appologize. This is in the wrong place. I meant for it to be in a forum on the possibility of a dog treat advisor. Now I can’t find it. If the moderator can repost it would be appreciated.

I agree with all the others but what I’d really like to see is a review of treats the same as you do for dog food. Your dog food reviews have, quite literally, saved my son Fred’s life. He had elevated liver levels and our vet in Falls Church, Va NEVER once asked what dog food I was feeding him. My sister in law told me about Dog Food Advisor, I checked the food I was giving him and discovered that not only was it only rated one star but one of the ingredients was known for increased liver levels. Switched to a four star food, levels got stabilized and five years later our NEW vet is happy with his health.

If we all knew more about what was in treats and had a rating system for them as well our “children” would be a lot better off. I’d be more than happy do donate to offset the cost.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Dave V.
    #71292 Report Abuse
    Candyce M

My pups are allergic to chicken so I had to be careful with the treats I gave them. I switched to Happy Hips Lamb formula and they are pretty happy with those. Each piece is a bit big so I break each piece in quarters or in eighths. 🙂

#71515 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

For both my cat and dog I have been using PureBites freeze dried treats. I love that its just one ingredient (I do beef liver for my dog and turkey breast for my cat), I can get them at work (Petco) and they do say they are made with US meats.

I’ve seen a couple other people mention them here. I have gone through a lot of other treats and truthfully treats have become just that in my house…a treat. It is a rare and not every day thing they both get. But they both love PureBites.

#76468 Report Abuse

I am also looking for a review of dog treats, like you give for dog foods. I was giving my dog Purina Alpo Variety Snaps and I think they are making him sick. I threw them away, but he still looks for his “reward”. I am trying raw carrots and green beans, but he doesn’t seem impressed. How about Hebrew National hot dogs in little slices? Are they OK to give as rewards?

After my experience with the Variety Snaps, and now looking at the recall lists, I am afraid to give him snacks unless I know they are safe. Any suggestions on safe snacks?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Karen Barbara L. Reason: Didn't finish before
    #76473 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

The easiest thing to do would be to buy treats made by a good 4 or 5 star dog food brand. If they make quality kibble I think I’d assume they’d make quality treats. Also fruits and vegies (most are ok) in small pieces. Or use a different flavor of your usual kibble as treats. If he usually eats chicken dog food, for example, buy a small bag of beef or lamb or whatever, and toss a few to him for a treat. No hot dogs, lunch meats, etc. Lots of chemicals, nitrites, in that stuff. You could also buy a small bag of cat food or treats. Cat food is very high protein and most dogs I know love to steal cat food, lol. Buying a small bag of a totally different food is an option, too. Try raw, freeze dried or dehydrated dog food. Anything new and different will be a treat as far as your dog is concerned.

#76489 Report Abuse
    Gloria K

Jake’s mom has come up with some very good ideas. If you scroll up for that you’ll see others who have posted suggestions regarding dog treats. I make all of Mickey’s treats so I know exactly what goes into them. I have a Pinterest board it’s just reserved for dog food and treats but this one has proven to be Mickey’s all-time favorite and he goes wild.

APPLE CHEDDER BACON COOKIES

2 1/2 cups flour (Mickey is allergic to wheat so I use chickpea flour or brown rice flour )
    2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1/3 cup yogurt
    1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley ( optional)
    2 slices smoked bacon most fat removed and very finely chopped
    1/2 cup shredded peeled apple
    1/2 cup water
    2 Tbsp. olive oil or bacon drippings.

Sauté bacon till crisp then finely chop. Add to all other ingredients. Mix thoroughly . Drop by tablespoons onto parchment lined cookie sheet, flatten slightly and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
    Keep some refrigerated for up to one week and freeze the rest for 3 months.
    I keep about a weeks worth that would be seven biscuits in the refrigerator at one time and the rest I freeze.
    I use rice flour because Mickey is allergic to wheat flour but you can use any flour you want.

#76490 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

As far as hot dogs go-I only bust those out (and only nitrate/nitrite/additive free) for times of big need. IE Counter conditioning a dog who has some serious fear issues. They are very high value to them. For having something around the house you usually want something a little more tame-if you read through this thread there are plenty of treat suggestions for a variety of needs. My personal list (I use an obscene variety in my treats but ill give a few things I use often)

Around the house treats: Sojos Good Dog
    Lower Value Reinforcement: Cloud Star Tricky Trainers
    Learning something new/one up on the value chart: Sojos Simply
    High Value/Fear/anxiety: Hot dogs, fresh meats/cheeses

#76491 Report Abuse
    Gloria K

Jake’s mom has come up with some very good ideas. If you scroll up for that you’ll see others who have posted suggestions regarding dog treats. I make all of Mickey’s treats so I know exactly what goes into them. I have a Pinterest board it’s just reserved for dog food and treats but this one has proven to be Mickey’s all-time favorite and he goes wild.

APPLE CHEDDER BACON COOKIES

2 1/2 cups flour (Mickey is allergic to wheat so I use chickpea flour or brown rice flour )
    2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1/3 cup yogurt
    1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley ( optional)
    2 slices smoked bacon most fat removed and very finely chopped
    1/2 cup shredded peeled apple
    1/2 cup water
    2 Tbsp. olive oil or bacon drippings.

Sauté bacon till crisp then finely chop. Add to all other ingredients. Mix thoroughly . Drop by tablespoons onto parchment lined cookie sheet, flatten slightly and bake at 375° for 28 minutes.
    Keep some refrigerated for up to one week and freeze the rest for 3 months.
    I keep about a weeks worth that would be seven biscuits in the refrigerator at one time and the rest I freeze.

#76492 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Gloria K., thanks for this recipe, sounds yummy. I know Jake will love them.

#81135 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

I periodically find small bags of cat food as free samples. My dogs love it! I also use Charlee Bears.

#82093 Report Abuse
    Connie G

My little Yochons loved Beggin’Strips but I heard some negative feed back so stopped
    buying them?
    Anyone now if the toothbrush “Greenies” to help clean the teeth are good? okay?

#82117 Report Abuse
    Suzanne J

Ziwipeak Dog Food. My dogs love it so much I can also use it as treats.

#82495 Report Abuse
    Dan H

By far our favorite healthy dog treats are from wet noses. The dogs love ’em. They’re organic, no GMO and all local (northwest US) ingredients. We are as paranoid about our dog treats as we are about the meal itself. Highly recommended. Check them out and decide for yourself!

#82917 Report Abuse
    Wm B

Was the article ever written? If so, where?

#83676 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

My favorites have been Zukes, but I now find out they too have been sold out to Purina. So I am looking for something small and crunchy I can safely give my dog. Any help appreciated.

#83680 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Kathleen C:
    For small crunchy treats my dog likes Primal Freeze Dried Turkey Liver Munchies, Stella & Chewy’s Carnivore Kisses, Weruva Freeze Dried Treats, and Stewart’s freeze dried Pro Treats.

Some larger crunchy treats that can be cut or broken up that he likes are The Honest Kitchen Beams and Vital Essentials Freeze Dried Turkey Necks.

#83687 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

Great, thank you so much. I feed him the Weruva kibble, venison, and was just in the pet store this A.M. but didn’t know about the Weruva treats. I will pick up the kibble order Wed. and see if she has the treats too. She’s very high on the brand so hopefully she does. She may also carry some of the others.

#92624 Report Abuse
    Chris S
    Participant

I only give freeze dried organ meats (livers) & chicken breasts. Purebites makes some great treats. There is no need for all of the other crap they put in treats. The dogs get enough of that in their food & supplements.

#92899 Report Abuse
    Blane O

I feed my dogs Happy Howie’s premium beefy 4″ Burger treats. They are made in the USA and do not have many ingredients. I also like their sausage links. My dogs love these treats. They are not cheap, but we try to only give 1 or 2 a week. I have a Great Pyrenees, Staffordshire Terrier, Collie mix and a pointer mix. They have been eating them for about 3 years with no problems.

#113934 Report Abuse
    Teresa V

I am recovering from the loss of my 7 year old lab. Grew too fast and had five surgeries in his too short life.
    We are getting a new pup (a lab, what else?) and are using recomendations on food advisor. Training treats are my newest quest. We pick up our 8 week old on May 2nd, 2018 so any advice would be most welcome. I’m determined to keep this dog as healthy as I possibly can.
    Thank you all for your comments.
    LabLover

#113945 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I want my dog treats to be healthy. The treat contains natural ingredients and is easily digestible by the god.

#114334 Report Abuse
    Deanna B

Zukes mini naturals – my dogs love them!

#156756 Report Abuse
    Gene R

For treats I give Lilee Science Diet Oral Care. The price is right, the reputation of the company is above reproach, the kibbles are large enough to encourage healthy chewing, and she likes it. What else do you need? Fake bacon?

#156830 Report Abuse
    Frenky C
    Participant

I have read mixed reviews on Lilee. But I think I should also give it a try. I have always used Purebites for treats but I guess I should also try other brands to mix it up for both my cats and dogs.

#156832 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Open Farm freeze Dried and Rawbbles freeze dried. No reason to give junk food for treats. Instead give beneficial nutrition.

#156941 Report Abuse
    Hermani H
    Participant

I also recommend the Annamaet’s treats, I have no problems with them so far.

#156942 Report Abuse
    Frenky C
    Participant

My go-to is Wellness Natural Grain Free Dog Treats for several reasons: hypoallergenic protein source, rich in EPA, ALA. BESIDES, it’s comes in several variations, including mix with potatoes, apples, blueberries and carrots. My pup can’t go a day without these and it came especially handy while training her to go. 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 350 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.