šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Thank you and same to you!

#185586 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for posting what the current label claim is for nutritional adequacy. Based on the nutritional information on the company website, in conjunction with how it is currently presented, it appears to me that not all products meet the AAFCO profile for which they are labeled or that when using their feeding recommendations nutritional goals would be met.

As I said, it isn’t uncommon that I find discrepancies, and IMO major errors from companies that heavily promote themselves as “honest” transparent” etc. I found one company, apparenlty started and co- owned at the time by a PhD anmal nutritionist, to be particularily disturbing.

#185613 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

To add to this thread, a study has just been published, which like the others, supports a link between diets with suspect ingredients and DCM.

Briefly and simplified, the researchers recruited dogs that had been eating the same kibble for over a year and had 90% of daily calories coming from that diet.

Diet types were divided into what they labeled as traditional (grain containing without any potato or legume ingredients in the first 10 ingredients) and nontraditional (contained pulses as main ingredient) All dogs were deemed healthy based on exam.

Each study participant had a heart ultrasound to evaluate size and function of the heart. What was found was that dogs eating nontraditional diets, as a group, had weaker contractions and larger ventricular blood volume than the dogs eating traditional diets.

This is yet another study that supports a link between diets with high legume content and the development of DCM.

Like all studies, it has its limitations. Sample size was limited to 23 dogs in each group, and I would have liked to see the diets named.

#185614 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Thank you, Aimee. I just read that study on The SkeptVetā€™s FB page. I tried to post it here unsuccessfully.

I hope more people take notice and take it seriously.

#185616 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi cray4cats,

I didn’t know SkeptVet even had a FB page! Just looked it up and “liked” it.

#185662 Report Abuse
    Ana W
    Participant

I agree , please review/investigate this topic

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.