Whole prey Rabbits or Cavies from Hare Today

Dog Food Advisor Forums Raw Dog Food Whole prey Rabbits or Cavies from Hare Today

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Cyndi

Hi all! 🙂 I wanted to know, do any of you raw feeders feed the whole prey rabbits or cavies? I would like to try one with Bailey sometime, but the whole prey quail didn’t go over so well, so I’m unsure if she would eat it or just look at it and walk away. How long did it take your dog to get used to it or did they dig right in? I just ordered some of the rabbit feet, and she’s eating those, although it took a little bit for the first one.

#38366 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I order their whole prey grinds and the dogs took to those immediately. I haven’t ordered any of their whole whole prey items because of the squeamish people who would never again eat anything that came out of our freezer if I stored things like that in the freezer. LOL!!

#38367 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Lol! I figured you wouldn’t have used them because I remember how your family is, lol! I do use the whole prey grinds and have had no problems. Just looking for something new to introduce I guess. I could never watch Bailey eat a whole prey animal, even the rabbit heads, which she loves, I can’t watch, but that won’t stop me from trying new things for her.

Thanks BCnut (still weird having to call you that, lol!)

#38368 Report Abuse

I have a bag of the rabbit heads in the freezer… I haven’t had the nerve to serve them yet. My family now calls the freezer “The Little Shop of Horrors” lol

#38369 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Lmao! That is too funny! The rabbit heads are pretty gross to look at, but Bailey loves them. She’ll pick out the rabbit head & eat it first before the rabbit pieces.

#38370 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The Little Shop of Horrors… I LIKE that!!

My local butcher puts things in clear plastic bags and that’s too much for my family. Right now, I have a bag of goat organs that I need to defrost and portion out and refreeze and I’m putting that off until my husband will be out of town.

#38386 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Haha too funny. I’m too squeamish for whole prey myself….I just don’t wanna see a head XD but I have all kinds of nice gross organs in the freezer. I don’t think anyone takes anything out of there that’s unmarked (as frozen ground organs and dark apple butter might be difficult to decipher, *cough cough*)

#38401 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yep, liver and apple butter do share some color characteristics, if you don’t want to look closely.

#38459 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

That would be pretty gross if you think you were opening a container of apple butter. Yuck! Lol!

#39855 Report Abuse
    GoldenGuide
    Participant

Hi,
    I only feed animal parts or whole prey. The rabbits from Hare-today are a staple in my golden’s diet. I slit the back open, pull the fur away to make a 1 by 4 inch opening, and then cut a couple strips of meat away from the bone to give my golden guy a starting point. He loves the rabbit, and eats just about everything save for a couple feet and sometimes the tail.
    Be warned, when the dog gets into the stomach, it stinks to high heaven, so feed these outside or in a room with an open window.

#39920 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Thanks for your reply GoldenGuide. That’s a good idea, cutting it open a bit to give them someplace to start. I was afraid if I got a whole prey animal, my dog wouldn’t know where to start and just leave it. I’m not sure if I can handle the whole prey or not though. I’m ok with animal parts. My dog already eats rabbit pieces and heads (which don’t have the fur), but I think seeing a whole furry, cute animal with fur and all, might be too much for me. I’m still thinking about it though. Thanks for your input! 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.