Whole Earth Farms

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Whole Earth Farms

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jessica A

Does anyone have any opinions on the company Merrick being bought by Purina and the effects it will have on Whole Earth Farms formulas?

#76918 Report Abuse
    Pamela S

That is horrible news. If this is true, I won’t purchase Merrick anymore or any Merrick products. Purina is just a horrible company putting out horrible products. Even if Whole Earth Farm formulas stay the same, I wouldn’t want my dollars going to support ANY Purina executive.

#76919 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Jessica- It’s too soon to say what will happen with them under Purina. One thing I can say for Purina is they are transparent and if a change does happen we will know about it.

Pamela- I share your sentiment that Purina does not put out quality products, however, I disagree that Purina as a company is horrible. Fortunately, they are a transparent company and dispite their “fancy” marketing, when confronted with actual questions about their sourcing and quality control they are honest and upfront.

#76931 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Jessica-
    I am sticking with Merrick/Whole Earth Farms in my rotation. It took me too long to find an affordable line of quality kibbles to rotate with Victor to leave it now. My fingers are crossed that it will stay basically the same. I guess time will tell!

#76932 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

While it may be too soon to tell, I would agree that a shift to Purina is very likely for the worse, if nothing else, quality of ingredients as a whole. I do actually agree that Purina is a pretty horrible company, if for no other reason than the fact that they use subpar everything in the name of profit. If they believed in any of their lines of food, there wouldn’t be such a drastic range in quality (though, even One and ProPlan have a lot of junk filler). I personally prefer to support companies that put the nutrition of the companions first and foremost

#76951 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Has Purina ever bought a large dog food company before? If yes, what was the result?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by crazy4cats.
    #76953 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

I guess what I would want to know is since Purina is owned by the Nestle corporation, how much of a role does Nestle have in the quality of their sourcing. I honestly don’t know how it works when a larger corporation owns a company like Purina.

#76964 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I don’t know if purina has done something like this, but to me, it doesn’t make too much difference. As far as nestle goes, purina was big enough on its own I’m not sure if nestle involving itself changed much at all

#76985 Report Abuse
    Glenda J

I refuse to feed my dogs any food or treat that has anything to do with Purina so I switched from Merrick to Fromm.

#77257 Report Abuse
    Sandy K

Just because a company is “transparent” or honest when asked about their ingredients, doesn’t mean the product is a good one. I’ve been feeding Orijen kibble along with Castor & Pollux canned, so will now have to find a new canned food as I will not support Purina in any way.

#77264 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

No one said transparency means quality food. What it does mean is that people can continue to feed Merrick (if they feel comfortable) knowing that if a change is made to the food by Purina, Purina will be upfront about it. That is a good thing regardless of whether you like Purina or not.

#77278 Report Abuse
    C4D

I didn’t feed Whole Earth Farms, except for a few cans, but I did use Merrick cans a lot. From my point of view, I am holding on ALL Merrick food for now. Since I rotate my foods, that’s not a big problem for me. I’m just going to exclude Merrick for right now. :-/

#77280 Report Abuse
    Kat

I wouldn’t trust any of Merrick’s products anymore. I’ll make a bet since Purina owns them now, Merrick may still keep the same recipes, but the ingredients may be sourced from where Purina gets their resources.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.