Who owns Blue Buffalo?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Who owns Blue Buffalo?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kat

What company owns Blue Buffalo products, and are they affiliated with any other brands? Or is Blue Buffalo the company name itself…?

Note: I do not feed BB. I’m just curious.

#77677 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

I have no idea, but now I find out Purina is suing Blue because Blue says they don’t use by-products in their things and they do. Wow! What else in this world of dog food do we not know? Probably everything. I was going to try Blue Wilderness to take the place of Merrick. I think I’ll go ahead and order another bag of Merrick and maybe Purina hasn’t had a chance to corrupt it yet.

#77682 Report Abuse
    Karen E

I am new to the site. I am looking for a new food for my dog, because I truly believe Blue Buffalo Wilderness made my dog very, very sick. When I researched his food on line, others had had an issue with the most recent bag; we had just started a new bag. My vet wouldn’t say this; however, he did advise changing the food. The food was not recalled; however, a worker at Petco told me there are very few recalls as the companies have a way to get around it. Anyway, my vet said they have good luck with Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Stomach, the Salmon one. We are on our 2nd bag of that, and he is doing okay. But I personally believe Purina is not so good. Since Merrick is quite highly rated on here, am thinking of trying that. Our vet said preferably no beef, corn, soy or wheat. So, I will need to do more research. If you have any suggestions, would love to hear them From everything I’ve found, Blue Buffalo is owned by Blue Buffalo Ltd. Mars owns Purina & many others and was going to buy out Blue before the lawsuit.

#77690 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi Karen- Unfortuntely it’s very difficult to link a food to a dog illness unless testing was done on the food and yields some result like salmonella that could prove it was the food. Switching foods definitely could not hurt. My dog is on Fromm. It’s a small family owned and operated company out of Wisconsin that has never had a recall. They have been in operation since 1904 and the 2 sons are next in line to take over the company.

Purina actually did just recently buyout Merrick, however I do not feel they have any intentions to change the Merrick formulas. From what I know from the rep for our Merrick distributor at the small pet store I work for, Purina is investing in Merrick to give them more funding and more plants for production.

Also just wanted to clarify that Nestle owns Purina, not Mars. Mars owns Pedigree, so that might be what you are thinking of.

#77699 Report Abuse
    Karen E

Thank you! You have helped finalize my decision. Talked with my daughter who lives in Whitefish Bay, WI, near Mequon where Fromm is made. She uses Fromm. I have looked at them and gone to their website and have decided to try it. Thanks again for your input. Karen

#77700 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Great! Glad you’re deciding to give it a try. Hope it works out well for you. My picky pitbull loves it 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.