đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ashley S

We have a dog that seems to have a sensitive tummy when it comes to “whitefish” (he’s fine with salmon). However, whitefish seems to be in nearly every high-quality dog food I see!

Does anyone have recommendations for a 4+ star dog food that doesn’t have whitefish or non-specific fish ingredients, but is also high-protein, low on lentils, low/no-grains, etc?

We’d prefer not to have to sacrifice food quality too much, especially since our other dogs will be eating the same food.

#126682 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Check out Purina Pro Plan Focus Salmon for sensitive skin and stomach.
    Chewy dot com has a good description and prices.

#126685 Report Abuse
    Ashley S

Thanks for the rec, anon101.

I’m pretty wary of Purina in general. The specific formula you recommended doesn’t have a DFA star rating, but it does appear to lack a lot of the ‘controversial’ ingredients DFA highlighted in their general Purina Pro Focus review, so that may give it a higher rating.

It also includes “fish meal” and “fish oil” in the ingredients, and I don’t know whether that would have the same effect as whitefish on my pup. I spoke with a Purina Pro customer service rep, but they didn’t have a break down of what kind of fish that might be, so idk.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Ashley S.
    #126687 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I understand. I only recently decided to try Pro Plan Focus due to the FDA grain free alert.
    So far, I am impressed. I also like Fromm Classic Adult as a base.

They were doing well on Zignature Salmon before, in fact they are still getting it (1/2 and 1/2).

PS: Keep in mind that the larger companies that have been around for a while are more likely to employ veterinary nutritionists and do feeding trials.
    I avoid boutique foods, newer companies.
    Discuss with your vet.
    “It also includes “fish meal” and “fish oil” in the ingredients, and I don’t know whether that would have the same effect as whitefish on my pup”.

I doubt it….

#126688 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Here it is:
    https://www.gofromm.com/fromm-family-classic-adult-dog-food

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
    Crude Protein
    23% Min.
    Crude Fat
    15% Min.
    Crude Fiber
    4% Max.
    Moisture
    10% Max.
    CALORIC CONTENT
    kcal/kg
    kcal/lb
    kcal/cup
    NUTRITIONAL ADEQUACY STATEMENT
    Fromm Family Classic Adult Dog Food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for growth and maintenance.
    INGREDIENTS: Chicken, chicken meal, brown rice, pearled barley, oatmeal, white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), menhaden fish meal, dried whole egg, beet pulp, cheese, flaxseed, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, salt, calcium sulfate, dl-methionine, l-tryptophan, taurine, chicory root extract, yucca schidigera extract, sodium selenite, sorbic acid (preservative), Vitamins [vitamin A acetate, Vitamin D3 supplement, Vitamin E supplement, Vitamin B12 supplement, choline bitartrate, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin], Minerals [zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, magnesium sulfate, copper sulfate, cobalt carbonate, calcium iodate, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, magnesium proteinate, cobalt proteinate], dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium longum fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Pediococcus acidilactici fermentation product.

https://www.frommfamily.com/ingredients/menhaden-fish-meal/
    Menhaden fish meal is the clean, dried, ground tissue of the small, marine fish. This meal provides an excellent source of amino acids and fatty acids that can help to improve skin and hair coat, digestion, the immune system, bone health, and metabolic function

#126697 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Ashley,

I’d aviod all dry foods that have any type of fish, chances are your not getting the fish stated on your bag/formula.. also toxins, heavy metals & contaminates seem to be higher in fish formula’s.

UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine’s latest study: Limited Ingredient/Allergy Diets🐶🐱 may not work for your pet because of this problem!
    Scroll dow to the results.
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/vms3.125?fbclid=IwAR3JAeJouOK1TEOHlEKTRONZPp7FghmqdBaR561HJbc71J6fKucG5ncT9d8

Go onto Rodney Habibs f/b page – https://www.facebook.com/rodneyhabib
    scroll down a bit & look for “The False Hope of Limited Ingredient & Allergy diets” video they tested Natural Balance LID Bison & Sweet Potato formula & it had Beef, Pork, Horse, Goat, Lamb in it & no Bison?

I have a dog who has IBD, food sensitivities & environment allergies, I have found he does really well on “Wellness Core”, “Wellness Simple”- Turkey & Potato & “Canidae Pure”- Wild Pork & “Canidae” – Pure Meadow Senior, if you have a large breed look at Wellness Core Large breed adult or Wellness Core Small Breed formula’s are high protein, med -fat & low carbs..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.