šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Susan R

Does any know if feeding a white puppy a certain type of food will help prevent staining around their mouth, as well as giving them non-tap water? Has anyone heard of this and, if so, any recommendations for a type of food? My mind goes to chicken breasts. Will I have to cook chicken breasts for my puppy?!? Thanks, in advance, if anyone has any advice or suggestions.

#111938 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

There are pigments in saliva that cause white puppy faces and other places that they lick a lot, like their front feet to be off colored. I doubt it has anything to do with the food unless your pup has a sensitivity to an ingredient. Unfortunately,I guess that is just part of having a white dog.

That is why I never can wear anything white. Everything shows on it, except my white cat’s hair. LOL!

#111940 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

You can try Forza10 Sensitive Tear Stain Plus Grain-Free Dry Dog Food.

If your petā€™s tearstains are dark red, they are the result of porphyrins, which are iron-containing waste products from the breakdown of red blood cells that can be excreted in tears and saliva. If the stains are brown in color, it indicates a yeast infection on the face. See your vet before treating it.

Avoid products containing antibiotic tylosin tartrate.

#111943 Report Abuse
    Susan R

Thank you both for your responses. Fortunately, he has no tear stains, it’s all under his chin from the dirt he likes to play in the dirt or dig for something with his mouth or it is from his dog food. He’s on a grain free but with sweet potato and salmon. I guess that’s kind of a clue, they’re both orange.

#111948 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

What kind of puppy is he?

#111949 Report Abuse
    Susan R

Golden doodle.

#111956 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Cuteness! How big do you think it will get?

#111963 Report Abuse
    Blkdoodle

My sister in law have a blonde Goldendoodle and she will not feed him anything with beef in it. She believes that is what makes his eye hair dark from the tears. When visiting he would snatch some of our Callie’s food that had beef, and sure enough Yankee’s eye tears started turning his hair dark.

#111964 Report Abuse
    Susan R

Probably around 60 lbs. He is cuteness! So adorable I melt.

#111965 Report Abuse
    Susan R

Yes, I recently learned that about the tear stains are caused by the food! Searching, searching for the right food at the moment.

#111972 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Are you feeding that adorable puppy a proper large breed puppy food? Puppies that are going to be 50 pounds or more should be fed a food with controlled amounts of calcium in order to keep the joints healthy.

There are some recommendations on the Editor’s Choice List.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by crazy4cats.
    #111990 Report Abuse
    Susan R

I admit I am overwhelmed. I read each description. I’ve tried Fromm, Now, Costco, Zignature (small sample), and, of course, sadly, what the breeder was feeding him Purina Beneficial.

I then read the comments below and my mind is changed. I was all set to order Orijen and then people were talking about it changed and their puppy was declining. I was then ready to go with Wellness Core; likewise, comments changed my mind.

Help. lol

#111996 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

If I was to get a large breed puppy I now, from the Editor’s Choice list, I would probably feed either the Wellness, Fromm or Whole Earth Farms. Another food mentioned on here a lot, is the large breed puppy Purina Pro Plan formula that I would seriously consider. It is a few tiers up from the Purina Beneful that you are feeding. Best of luck to you!

Have fun with your new bundle of cuteness!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by crazy4cats.
    #112007 Report Abuse
    Susan R

Thank you for your suggestions. The breeder was feeding the Purina. We are not! He didn’t like the Fromm so we’re on the search.

#112015 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

My 6 1/2 year old male labs are eating a Fromm weight management formula right now and really like it. I also feed Whole Earth Farms frequently with good results. I hope you find something that they like and is a good large breed puppy food! Good luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.