šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Christa P

My vet gave me a list of recommended foods. But none of these foods show up on the best foods list! I need something with a high water content. I want to give both wet and dry food. I am so confused after reading everything. I have 3 small breed dogs. Help! Thanks!

#80333 Report Abuse
    anonymously

My small breed dogs do well on Nutrisca Salmon and Chickpea (canned and dry), I soak my senior’s kibble in water overnight, plus add a splash of water. I use Newman Organics canned also, I have tried their kibble, one dog does well on it.
    What foods did your vet recommend? Do your dogs have any specific problems?

#80334 Report Abuse
    Christa P

Yea,he told me Merrick and Blue products cause kidney problems. I was feeding Merrick grain free. My dog has “crystals” in her urine and UTI. She is antibiotics for 7 days to see if it helps. He told me to not give her foods that are rich. Not sure what that even means! I have too other small dogs. I am just trying to find something healthy for them all now. So much propaganda. Its hard to understand. I lost my first dog to Lymphoma. I am so scared to feed my dogs the wrong thing.

#80336 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Okay, so, soaking the kibble overnight in water, adding a spoonful of topper, more water, should work. What foods did he say were okay? Let’s see the list.
    Check Nutrisca and Salmon and Chickpea http://www.chewy.com/dog/dogswell-nutrisca-grain-free-salmon/dp/35031

If your vet is recommending prescription food, I would go along with it for now at least until the dog is stable, then discuss options.

Per the search engine here: Check out my posts. /forums/search/bladder+stones/

PS: Take the dogs out frequently for bathroom breaks, opportunities to urinate. Keep the bladder flushed, stagnant conditions in the bladder are conducive to struvite and calcium oxalate development.

#80337 Report Abuse
    anonymously

http://www.bostonherald.com/lifestyle/health/2015/10/diet_aids_bladder_stones
    Excerpt below:
    The cause of these stones developing is not well understood. It is thought to be an inborn error of metabolism that, given certain diets, causes the pH of urine to become more acidic than usual, leading to crystals and stones formation.

Diagnosis is usually made by X-ray, palpation or ultrasound.

These kinds of bladder stones are the second most commonly found (struvites being the most common). They each require different types of management with specific prescription diets. Several companies make these specific diets, and I would work with your veterinarian to choose one. Sadly, even with special diets, these stones can still come back, so if your dog shows any signs like before, get him right in for evaluation

#80339 Report Abuse
    Dori

Christa P. Have you thought about feeding dehydrated foods such as The Honest Kitchen. You add water to the food to rehydrate so your dog will get plenty of water and it’s a great food rated 5 Stars on DFA. There are others also but that’s the one I feed on occasion in rotation so can’t give any advice on the other dehydrated food companies. The Honest Kitchen has some grain free foods and grain inclusive. Also they have formulas that you can rehydrate and add your own meats, fish or poultry. Anyway, just a suggestion on my part.

#80347 Report Abuse
    Christa P

Ok,wow,thanks for the input. I will definitely use all of your advise. The list they vet gave me surprised me. Here is what is on it. You see why I am so confused.
    Royal Canin adult
    Science diet maintenance
    Hills Ideal balance
    Iams
    Eukanuba
    Proplan
    Purina one

#80349 Report Abuse
    Dori

Christa P. There is not a single food on that list that your vet gave you that I would ever feed any of my three dogs.

Unfortunately allopathic veterinarians tend to the foods that they sell.

#80350 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Christa, no wonder none of those foods aren’t on the “Best Dog Foods list” they have Crappy ingredients, try & stay away from kibble if you can even when you soak a kibble in water it’s still a kibble (CRAP)……like Dori said The Honest Kitchen has some really good grain free foods you add water or use their base mixes & you just add the meat…….or look at Dog Food Advisors best wet tin foods…..Wellness Core gets 5 stars……

#80358 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi Crista P.,

From the list it looks to me that your vet is making recommendations based on the guidelines from the World Small Animal Veterinary Association. The WSAVA is a very well respected group of veterinary experts from around the globe. Their nutritional committee drew up guidelines on how to select food which you can find at wsava dot org/nutrition-toolkit Scroll down to the bottom and you’ll find the link to selecting the best food for your pet.

Nutrition experts don’t evaluate foods based on an ingredient list which is how may people evaluate foods.

I have used various products from each of the companies on that list with great success.

#80360 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I have also used prescription and nonprescription dog foods when recommended by a veterinarian that has examined my dog. I have noted no adverse effects.
    Some science-based information here: http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/nutrition/

I have used Royal Canin SO for a dog with kidney damage, the dog did well, you can always add a spoonful of homemade chicken broth.

Royal Canin adult
    Science diet maintenance
    Hills Ideal balance
    Iams
    Eukanuba
    Proplan
    Purina one

#80362 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I meant to say I used Royal Canin So for a dog with bladder stones (hx of both struvite and oxalate).
    I used Royal Canin Renal support for my dog that had kidney damage.

Both times the food agreed with them and no adverse effects were noted. Once the dogs were stable (after at least a year) I made changes in their diets under the supervision of their veterinarians. However, the dog with kidney damage stayed on the prescription food for the remainder of her life and did as well as could be expected.

#80697 Report Abuse
    Christa P

Thank you for all your advise. For the moment,I am feeding Fresh Pet which is in the refrigerator section in stores. So many choices it still gets confusing.

#80953 Report Abuse
    LadyJane

Our dog was very ill with an unknown ailment that had the vets concerned as they never did figure it out. We switched her food to include Royal Canine Intestinal High Energy mixed with ground sirloin that make without anything added. Everyday she gets 20 drops of Apawthocary Milk Thistle on her food at lunchtime, which worked MIRACLES in getting her liver back to normal. You have to find what works for your dog. Sometimes it takes time and $’s, but it’s so worth it!

#81723 Report Abuse
    Tina M

Its very difficult to choose a food that has good quality because there are many other brands are available in the market. In such case Food Industry Public Relations helps a lot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.