🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Bobby D

I had been feeding my dogs a low fat diet (cottage cheese, hard boiled egg whites, and Hill’s i/d) because Skeeter had pancreatitis. Poor Skeeter is gone now, and I’d like to go back to dry kibble for my other dog Dixie. But, Dixie is refusing to eat the Purina kibble she grew up on. (I suppose she became spoiled by the tastier low fat diet.) Can anyone suggest a kibble that dogs can’t resist?

BTW, Dixie still loves Milk Bone biscuits. Why do dogs like dog biscuits so much? I would think dog biscuits have the same ingredients as kibble.

Bob D.

#59600 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I wouldn’t recommend the Purina food or the Milk Bone treats. Both are quite low-quality. Look around the site for some 4-5 star foods, pick one available close to you, and start there. You can add some “extras” such as eggs, sardines, or 4-5 star canned food to make the food more palatable. Make sure you transition to any new food slowly and that unbalanced toppers don’t make up more than 20% of the diet. I’m sure other users will have suggestions on more toppers you could add. Good luck!

Edit: I forgot, a good thing is to feed variety. Change kibble or canned food from time to time, and mix up the toppers. Again, make sure you never transition faster than your dogs can handle, usually about a week is good but some dogs require more time to avoid stomach upset.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Dog_Obsessed.
    #59636 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Smart dog for refusing Purina! If it’s price you’re after, try Pure Balance, from Walmart. If that’s not a problem, Wellness is a great brand, and it comes in a variety of flavors.

#59657 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Hi, Bob. I second both Akari and Dog_Obsessed. See what you have around as far as dog food stores (or Walmart), and try to steer away from Purina, Beneful, Iams, Hill’s, Ol’ Roy, Alpo, and the like. Rachael Ray is an okay food, and Pure Balance is pretty good for a grocery store food.

Usually to get a dog to eat kibble they may be iffy about, putting some canned and water in it helps. Make sure it is nice and mushy and that all the kibble is coated with some canned. Pure Balance cans and tubs are very affordable at Walmart and decent too.

If you have actual pet stores around, try to look for brands like Earthborn Holistic, Victor, NutriSource, Wellness – these brands tend to be on the affordable side (depending on where you live though, NutriSource in my area is quite pricy), and having fed some of them, they seem pretty yummy to my dog at least.

Don’t be afraid to try different foods and see what Dixie likes, but do make sure to do it slowly in the beginning – like Dog_Obsessed said, transitioning over a week or so while monitoring her stool would be a good amount of time. If her stool is too runny, give more of the old food and reduce the new until she’s stable again, then introduce some more new food and reduce the old food a bit.

Good luck, and let us know what you picked and how she’s doing! 🙂

#59670 Report Abuse
    LabsRawesome

Hi Bobby D. Have you ever considered canned dog food? It’s more species appropriate than kibble. And not too expensive, if you only have 1 dog. I use Pure Balance Stews, It receives a 5 star rating, and is $1 per can at Walmart. I also use 4health cans from Tractor Supply 99 cents, and Nature’s Domain canned from Costco $20.99 case of 24 cans. Or you can do a can/kibble mix, which is what I do, because I have 3 dogs. Kibbles that my 3 love, and don’t break the bank are Victor, 4health, Pure Balance, Rachael Ray Zero Grain, Nature’s Domain, Earthborn, Authority Grain Free, Whole Earth Farms by Merrick, Evolve Grain Free. Big Lots has Nutro Ultra Grain free @ $12 for a 12lb bag, and a 22lb bag is $24. I was told the reason the food is being sold at Big Lots is the line has been discontinued by the Manufacturer. 🙂

#97311 Report Abuse
    Linda S

I have a picky little guy too that needs a low calorie food. I have been trying so hard to find a dry food that he doesnt turn his nose up at. I recently bought Halo weight management and not a chance. I can’t afford to keep jumping around from one to the other at that price. I am going to try the ones that u have mentioned. If anyone has been successful would you please let me k le? Thanks so much!!! 🐕

#97315 Report Abuse
    Susan W

Hi,
    My dogs do really well on VeRUS. You may have to order it, but PetFlow (cheapest) has an autoship function so you don’t have to worry about re-orders. As for which of the VeRUS foods is best & which your dogs will like, contact VeRUS on their website (VeRUS Pet Foods) and they’ll send you free samples. Great way to try it out w/o having to buy a bag & not be able to feed it. Also, VeRUS has never had a recall – it is real QUALITY food & is well worth the competitive price.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Susan W.
    #97317 Report Abuse
    Susan W

Oh! One more thing… Bob, as wonderfully convenient as Milk Bones are, don’t feed them. They’re basically junk food for dogs, consisting of mostly refined wheat. There is no nutritional value whatsoever.

#97321 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Linda, how I tell when a kibble smells & taste good is my cat pinches Patches kibble, next time your due to buy food buy “Canidae” one of their grainfree Pure Formulas, my cat is always pinching Patches food when I feed Patch the Canidae formula Pure Wild, Pure Land….also Canidae is money back guaranteed if your dog doesn’t eat it… Canidae has the dry kibble & the matching wet tin foods also have a look at Ziwi Peak wet & air dried food, another one my cat pinches from Patch, Ziwi Peak will send you samples to try… http://www.canidae.com/dog-food/products

#102316 Report Abuse
    DONNA K

I have a 5 month lab. She doesnt chew her dry food. She inhales it. How is the best way to soften her dry food

#102317 Report Abuse
    anonymous

You could try a dome dish like this one https://www.chewy.com/indipets-stainless-steel-slow-pet/dp/135949 Slows them down a little. Don’t free feed (leave food out all day)
    Also, add a splash of water to the food (1/4 cup).
    If you want soft food soak the kibble in water overnight in the fridg.
    Feed measured amounts twice a day, minimal snacks, try a raw carrot but observe and make sure she doesn’t try to swallow it whole. My dogs chew on them.

This is not veterinary advice; consult your veterinarian.

#102357 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Donna when I had to soften Patches food, I added warm water NOT hot water, to the kibble in bowl, when kibble was soft all the way thru, then I would drain out the excess water in bowl, I’d make sure my hands were clean & squeezed out all the excess water from the kibbles, you just cuff your hand with 1/2 the amount of the kibble & cuff your hand against the tilted bowl & the water drains out of the kibble, just make sure you drain the water out, dog isn’t licking & lapping up water quickly & swollen kibble same time it can cause stomach problems, even may cause bloat, so make sure you drain any water out, also the dog will wee more or not drink much of his water cause the kibbles have absorbed the water….
    When the kibble is a really good & easy to digest, the kibbles will soften within 20-50mins, Taste Of The Wild & Canidae kibbles only take about 20mins & the kibbles are nice & soft all the way thru, stick 1/4 of the wet swollen kibbles in another bowl give them to him then when he’s finished, add some more of the swollen kibbles in his bowl, this way your slowing him down & teaching him to eat slowly or the other thing I did was I sat down next to Patch & only added about 10 dry kibbles in his bowl & I would say slowly, slow down, eat slowly then after he’d finished the 10 kibbles in the bowl, I’d add some more kibbles in his bowl, it would take about 5 mins to slowly feed him…it all depends if you have the time in the morning & at dinner time…
    also you can buy those balls with a hole that release food when they roll them or kong’s & stuff a few big kong’s with a mix of kibble, cooked mashed veggies, yogurt stuff in the kongs & then freeze, excellent in the hot Summer months & if you work just before go to work hide a few kongs & that will keep her busy, there’d be a few Kong recipes on line, feed 1/2 the amount of his kibble & give him the rest of his kibble made up in a few kongs, I bought the maize toys that teaches them to lift the lid with their nose to get some kibble or they put their paw on the button & 1 kibble rolls down, I have a toy you put kibble in the rubber ball & he has to get the ball out of the T-shaped maize, it has 4 exits for ball to roll out or you can block them off & only have 1 or 2 exits, but he’s very smart & he’s learnt if I get my paw & shake the T-shape maize the ball rolls around & the kibbles fall out onto the carpet & then he gets his nose & pushes the T-shape maize & eats the kibbles on the carpet it’s slows down his eating, he’s busy playing & having fun, my cat even learnt how to get his kibbles out of the maize or when the kibble flew out, she’d eat them.. it’s good your dog loves his food, he’ll be very easy to train…
    or buy a 12 whole muffin tray & add a few kibbles in each 12 cup muffin hole & he has to lick out the kibbles but I found the muffin tray moved around too much or throw the kibble out on the grass area & he walks around sniffing & eating his kibble, I like where I sit next to him, watch TV & just add a few kibbles in his elevated bowl at a time & he sits, eats slowly, he has learnt to be a very patient…

#135339 Report Abuse
    PJ B

I have found Diamond Naturals, especially Beef & Rice formula, an incredible value. It is also available at Tractor Supply since they also make the 4 Health dry food. Second choice I have found is Natures Recipe. I am retired and understand budget demands but have found that dogs will do alright on Dog Chow type brands you make out much better since you can feed a little less with a quality brand. Your Vet might not appreciate it 😂 but your dog will… Dog will have less health issues, lots of energy and be happy.

#135340 Report Abuse
    PJ B

I have found Diamond Naturals, especially Beef & Rice formula, an incredible value. It is also available at Tractor Supply since they also make the 4 Health dry food. Second choice I have found is Natures Recipe. I am retired and understand budget demands but have found that dogs will do alright on Dog Chow type brands you make out much better since you can feed a little less with a quality brand. Your Vet might not appreciate it 😂 but your dog will… Dog will have less health issues, lots of energy and be happy.

#135341 Report Abuse
    PJ B

PS (My dog won’t even touch “Milk Bones” now.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.