šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Karen G

And doesn’t notify distributors or customers.

My Great Pyrenees/Golden Retriever mix is allergic to chicken so I carefully check ingredient labels to make sure it isn’t contained in her food. I found four flavors of Blue Buffalo canned food that didn’t have chicken (Hunter’s Stew, Turkey Stew, Beef Stew, and Irish Lamb Stew) so I set up a monthly auto ship order of one case of each flavor with a distributor. Last fall Maggie started shaking her head, scratching and licking — all signs of allergic reaction. At first it wasn’t too bad so we gave her an antihistamine and hoped it would settle down. Instead it only got worse so I took her to the vet. She was definitely having an allergic reaction so they put her on Apoquel. That didn’t help much so I decided to check her food. Sure enough, Blue Buffalo added or substituted chicken in each of the four flavors. So I was feeding Maggie her allergen every single day for 3 months and didn’t know it!!!! What obligation does a manufacturer have to notify people of changes to their product?????

#109918 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

Blue has been doing this for some time now. I had a lot of people come to me because they were having allergy issues and were feeding the wilderness salmon. Unfortunately they did this same thing about a year ago to that food. Chicken is 2nd ingredient in 90% of their foods now. And they are still upping prices despite cheapening the ingredients. I would switch. The company is going down hill and fast it has unfortunately become all about the money for them.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by haleycookie.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by haleycookie.
    #109923 Report Abuse
    Blkdoodle

I am having the same problem finding foods that will not will not set off a reaction. Seems every food has potatoes, peas, legumes, chicken. May have to start my own dog food business. Some foods, that are limited, have ingredients you can hardly read let alone understand what it really is.

#109934 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Karen-

Unfortunately, the problem extends further than companies changing ingredients and not making it obvious in the new packaging. The other, bigger problem is cross contamination in the manufacturing process. A company can process their chicken based diet and then begin manufacturing their supposed “chicken free” limited ingredient diet, but since they didn’t clean the machine in between that product is now contaminated.

A study was done on this by one of the vet schools some odd years ago and all the over the counter limited ingredient diets they tested came back positive for proteins not listed on the label. The only way to be sure this is not happening, is by using an allergenic diet from the vet. The companies that make those diets sterilize the machines in between each run to prevent contamination.

#110001 Report Abuse
    a c

Some people and companies are becoming so unethical. Itā€™s so unbelievable. Itā€™s all about money and they donā€™t care about the outcome.

#110079 Report Abuse
    joanne l

does anyone know is Wellness dry dog food is still good??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.