WHAT is the right food for our dogs?!

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health WHAT is the right food for our dogs?!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lynx556
    Participant

Finding a dog food for a new pup is SO frustrating!

I adopting a standard poodle about 2 months ago – He’s now 20 weeks old, on Pruina pro plan puppy and he is suffering from IBS (He was not diagnosed) but he has a lot of loose stool.
    I ask my vet if they can suggest a food and all they can say is to keep him on a grained food. That’s fine, I’ll do that but what about all of the other details. They said Purina is good….really?! I am considering a holistic vet to discuss this type of thing.

I have been looking at all of these dog foods and there is soooo much crap on the internet about them. There is a list of brands linked to heart disease, kidney disease, renal disease…. I’m also concerned with the ingredients, chicken seems to be popular by the manufactures but I think that maybe a key issue with his loose stool. Another issue I have is with the potatoes and peas, why are they so high on the incidents? I feel like I need to come up with my own food! Raw would be my choice but I don’t think I can afford that.

SO! what are your suggestions for my sensitive tummy puppy?

Thank you for reading and your suggestions!

#163728 Report Abuse
    James F
    Participant

At the age of 1-3 months, it is recommended to feed puppies with natural food: meat (low-fat), eggs, fermented milk products, fish, cereals, vegetables, fruits. At the same time, protein products should make up at least 70% of the diet, the rest can be supplemented with carbohydrates and”milk”. Meat and fish can be raw or cooked.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by James F.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by James F.
    #163731 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats

Hi lynx556-
    Have you brought in a stool sample into your vet clinic to check for parasites, including giardia and coccidia? Worms and parasites are very common in young puppies.

Has the vet recommended adding a little fiber to the diet? I have a kitty who has suffered with chronic diarrhea for months. I recently started adding a little psyllium husk powder and a probiotic. It has helped immensely. Make sure to get direction from your vet on how much to add. Adding too much could be dangerous.

I would definitely stick to a large breed puppy food. You want to make sure his joints grow and form correctly. It contains the appropriate amount of calcium and phosphorus for a growing large breed.

#163815 Report Abuse
    lynx556
    Participant

@crazy4cats @james f

I did get the fecal test done and it did come back negative. I have changed him to another puppy food cuz I realized how much corn was actually in the Purina dog food. I know that a lot of animals and even humans can’t process corn very well. I changed to a grain-free name brand Taste of the Wild. I’m curious to if he is allergic to grain because he does get really watery gunky eyes. The diarrhea has subsided after feeding him a bland diet for a whole week and then easing him into the new puppy food has worked out so far. I hope it keeps going in a good direction now.

I heard goat’s milk is good for putting some weight on them but I don’t know much about it and I’m afraid it would bring back the diarrhea. 😑

Thanks for the input!

#163889 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats

I would definitely avoid any type of milk with a dog who is prone to diarrhea.

I disagree with your statement about corn. Corn is a highly digestible carb for energy, contains fatty acids for beautiful skin and coat and also provides quality protein for muscle growth.

Of course you need to choose a company who properly grinds the corn and only uses grade 1 or 2 corn.

Taste of the Wild has been implicated by the FDA as one of the companies associated with an increase of dogs developing cardiomyopathy. Along with other boutique type grain free foods. Here is a website with many valuable resources regarding the issue: http://dcmdogfood.com/

Here is their take on corn:http://dcmdogfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Debunking-Myths-around-Corn-Gluten-Meal_FINAL.pdf

They also have a fantastic FB page if you prefer.

After listening to the experts for the last year instead of internet myths, I’ve done a 180 on how I select food for my dogs and cats. I’m sticking to the big 5 for now. They all employ veterinarians with Phd’s in animal nutrition, do feed trials, own their own facilities among many other important factors. I’ll only feed Royal Canin, Purina, Eukanuba, Iams or Hill’s to my crew at least until they figure out what is going on.

Make sure which ever food you choose is formulated for large breed puppies!

Take Care and good luck!

#163981 Report Abuse
    lynx556
    Participant

@crazy4cats

Thank you for the links – I am now looking at Hill’s as an option. He was on Purina but his stomach was so upset on the chicken puppy food.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.