WHAT is the right food for our dogs?!

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health WHAT is the right food for our dogs?!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    lynx556
    Participant

Finding a dog food for a new pup is SO frustrating!

I adopting a standard poodle about 2 months ago – He’s now 20 weeks old, on Pruina pro plan puppy and he is suffering from IBS (He was not diagnosed) but he has a lot of loose stool.
    I ask my vet if they can suggest a food and all they can say is to keep him on a grained food. That’s fine, I’ll do that but what about all of the other details. They said Purina is good….really?! I am considering a holistic vet to discuss this type of thing.

I have been looking at all of these dog foods and there is soooo much crap on the internet about them. There is a list of brands linked to heart disease, kidney disease, renal disease…. I’m also concerned with the ingredients, chicken seems to be popular by the manufactures but I think that maybe a key issue with his loose stool. Another issue I have is with the potatoes and peas, why are they so high on the incidents? I feel like I need to come up with my own food! Raw would be my choice but I don’t think I can afford that.

SO! what are your suggestions for my sensitive tummy puppy?

Thank you for reading and your suggestions!

#163728 Report Abuse
    James F
    Participant

At the age of 1-3 months, it is recommended to feed puppies with natural food: meat (low-fat), eggs, fermented milk products, fish, cereals, vegetables, fruits. At the same time, protein products should make up at least 70% of the diet, the rest can be supplemented with carbohydrates and”milk”. Meat and fish can be raw or cooked.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by James F.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by James F.
    #163731 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi lynx556-
    Have you brought in a stool sample into your vet clinic to check for parasites, including giardia and coccidia? Worms and parasites are very common in young puppies.

Has the vet recommended adding a little fiber to the diet? I have a kitty who has suffered with chronic diarrhea for months. I recently started adding a little psyllium husk powder and a probiotic. It has helped immensely. Make sure to get direction from your vet on how much to add. Adding too much could be dangerous.

I would definitely stick to a large breed puppy food. You want to make sure his joints grow and form correctly. It contains the appropriate amount of calcium and phosphorus for a growing large breed.

#163815 Report Abuse
    lynx556
    Participant

@crazy4cats @james f

I did get the fecal test done and it did come back negative. I have changed him to another puppy food cuz I realized how much corn was actually in the Purina dog food. I know that a lot of animals and even humans can’t process corn very well. I changed to a grain-free name brand Taste of the Wild. I’m curious to if he is allergic to grain because he does get really watery gunky eyes. The diarrhea has subsided after feeding him a bland diet for a whole week and then easing him into the new puppy food has worked out so far. I hope it keeps going in a good direction now.

I heard goat’s milk is good for putting some weight on them but I don’t know much about it and I’m afraid it would bring back the diarrhea. 😑

Thanks for the input!

#163889 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I would definitely avoid any type of milk with a dog who is prone to diarrhea.

I disagree with your statement about corn. Corn is a highly digestible carb for energy, contains fatty acids for beautiful skin and coat and also provides quality protein for muscle growth.

Of course you need to choose a company who properly grinds the corn and only uses grade 1 or 2 corn.

Taste of the Wild has been implicated by the FDA as one of the companies associated with an increase of dogs developing cardiomyopathy. Along with other boutique type grain free foods. Here is a website with many valuable resources regarding the issue: http://dcmdogfood.com/

Here is their take on corn:http://dcmdogfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Debunking-Myths-around-Corn-Gluten-Meal_FINAL.pdf

They also have a fantastic FB page if you prefer.

After listening to the experts for the last year instead of internet myths, I’ve done a 180 on how I select food for my dogs and cats. I’m sticking to the big 5 for now. They all employ veterinarians with Phd’s in animal nutrition, do feed trials, own their own facilities among many other important factors. I’ll only feed Royal Canin, Purina, Eukanuba, Iams or Hill’s to my crew at least until they figure out what is going on.

Make sure which ever food you choose is formulated for large breed puppies!

Take Care and good luck!

#163981 Report Abuse
    lynx556
    Participant

@crazy4cats

Thank you for the links – I am now looking at Hill’s as an option. He was on Purina but his stomach was so upset on the chicken puppy food.

#164501 Report Abuse
    Lacey S
    Participant

The problem with corn is that it’s a high glycemic carbohydrate. Dogs are biological carnivores and still basically have the same DNA as wolves. While dogs can handle 20-30% of their diets being carbohydrates without a problem, does it really make sense that a high glycemic carb would be the ideal source of nutrition for canines?

High glycemic carbs are the primary cause of diabetes in humans, and it only follows that dogs would have a similar outcome (especially since they’re carnivores).

#164551 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I tend to believe the experts!

https://www.tuftsyourdog.com/dogfoodandnutrition/should-you-avoid-buying-dog-food-that-contains-corn/

Corn is a very healthy ingredient in a dog food as long as the company making the food is using high grade quality ground corn. I’ve finally come to the realization that I need to check out the company producing the food more than examining the ingredients on the label. There is no way to tell the quality of them from the label.

Hope this is helpful!

#164552 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi Lacy,

I’m not sure where it it you saw corn listed as a high glyvemic food, I see it routinely listed as moderate. Additionally high glycemic foods have not been identified as a cause of diabetes in people( see ADA) and they are not a cause of diabetes in canines. Diabetes is not caused by diet.

Finally, dogs are biologically considered omnivores because of their metabolic pathways align with that classification such as ability to convert B carotene to Vit A which is something the cat, classified as a carnivore, is unable to do.

As Crazy4cas posted corn can be a well utilized component of the canine diet .

#164572 Report Abuse
    Sheila V
    Participant

Our local Humane Society relies heavily on donations from the public, that includes dog & cat food. Although they will accept any (even bags that have been opened) , their preferred brand is Purina…fewer tummy upsets.

#164604 Report Abuse
    Garry K
    Participant

Any good recipes for stafford mix?

#164625 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi my rescue boy suffers with IBD, vet said he was eating a POOR diet old owners probably kept feeding him a poor quality pet food that had ingredients he was sensitive too for the first 4yrs of his life before I rescued him.

If you can afford to see a Animal Nutritionist to make him a balance raw diet or cooked diet this will be the best….
    Dogs Digestive Tract is short made to digest a raw diet.
    Follow Dr Judy Morgan she has her Yin & Yang book, she has easy to make balanced recipes online. There’s a few people you can follow so your new pup has a healthy start to his life & your right kibble isn’t the best, kibble is processed & cooked at very high temps, all nutrients are killed & then they have to add synthetic vitamins that are from China & have killed thousands of dogs big recalls over the years. Hills just had a big recall too much Vitamin D in their pet foods.
    If you want to feed 1 of the big 4 pet food companies then look at Royal Canin. You can also contact Royal Canin & speak with 1 of their Nutritionist they will help you work out whats best to feed your growing pup.

I have found a Grain Free potato diets have been best for my boy when he has diarrhea/sloppy poos etc when I first rescued him. The Potato firms up poos, soothes stomach, easy to digest & let his stomach & bowel heal.

If you are feeding a Dry kibble look for a limited ingredient kibble to start with, less is best, less to react too, get your puppy stable for 3-4 months, no sloppy poos, also put him on a good dog Probiotic unless the dog food “Wellness” has Probiotics in them .

“Wellness” – been making pet food over 100yrs-
    https://www.wellnesspetfood.com/natural-dog-food/product-catalog/simple-limited-ingredient-turkey-potato-recipe

“Cana4” – does not use any Synthetic vitamin mixes, is made in Canada-
    http://carna4.com/carna4-community/meet-davidmaria/

“Instinct Original Grain-Free Dry” –
    https://www.instinctpetfood.com/dogs/limited-ingredient-diet

#175770 Report Abuse
    Gem F
    Participant

CORN is NO NO for.any canine, esp w chronic diarrhea! Its totally undigestable & is a CHEAP filler in ANY dog food. I have rescued wolfdogs that are more sensitive to most commercial foods as it is.
    NO GRAIN – another NO NO – they use mostly subsitutes that are on the list for Dilated CardioMyopathy – As is ‘Taste of the Wild’, which is technically cheaper made food trying to pass for premium. I’ll stick with FDA’s findings (see post I replied to similar question below).

So far American Natural Pro has been on the top of my list, usually lamb or fish WITH GRAIN (never a recall & no FDA DCM warning ingredients) Others that are similar to note (& still affordable) – Eagle Pack, Victor & a VERY LIMITED few Nutro – but read all ingredients first.

————————–

JUST AS AN FYI – I would be super cautious
    about grain-free foods & any ingredients in the 1st top 10 that are pea, legume (chickpeas, lentils, ‘beans’, potato (incl sweet), etc. bc of the FDA & Vet study implicating those ingredients/ types of dog foods to CANINE DILATED CARDIOMYOPATHY, after a long list of reported dog deaths & severe permanent damage (also in cats) fir breeds NOT PRONE to DCM. I think they’ve updated their findings more recently as well & they do have charts providing all the names of the DOG FOOD BRANDS also implicated – and MOST of them are big, top brands – esp grain free.

I too am in the same situation w my Wolfhound mix since the day I got him… Haven’t found a food yet, that works on its own (& over his 2 years on earth) have been theu countless brands – esp with the RED FLAG INGREDIENTS in mind. American Natural Premium was close, but then 2 of my 3 started scratching endlessly – so we’re back looking for the one out there that has to exist (fingers crossed! )
    As another FYI – just to give your pooch a little break at least (they’ve got to be more than a little sore having such a chronic issue) – get a bag of OLEWO Carrots! Prepare & use EXACTLY as instructed (there are some lazy ppl out there trying to make shortcuts that will not help). A little expensive but soo WORTH IT! I make weekly batches (then refridgerate) & use coconut oil, then mix in either a small can of pumpkin or pureed baby food carrots, sometimes butternut squash so they’re not as dry & mix well (I also make a batch in a gallon zip bag to mix/coat well for 3 dogs at feeding time). It is a total Godsend, though am seriously hoping to find ‘the’ food that we can some day use wout the Olewo Carrots… (& trust me, other types of carrots – pureed, grated, whatever or even just pumpkin on its own does NOT work anything like the Olewo does) Chewy & Amazon (a little cheaper/ bugger bags)

Look into the more recent updates at the FDA on this study that has resulted in those ingredients being responsible. ALSO, aside from how bad peas are – they are also a CHEAP way of mfg’s CHEATING in falsely boosting ‘protein content’ – as the USDA testing dog foods ‘assume’ protein present is animal based… a little loophole they’re going to have to address ASAP as welk!

In July 2018, the FDA announced that it had begun investigating reports of canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs eating certain pet foods, many labeled as “grain-free,” which contained a high proportion of peas, lentils, other legume seeds (pulses), and/or potatoes in various forms (whole, flour, protein, etc.) as main ingredients (listed within the first 10 ingredients in the ingredient list, before vitamins and minerals). Many of these case reports included breeds of dogs not previously known to have a genetic predisposition to the disease. The FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) and the Veterinary Laboratory Investigation and Response Network (Vet-LIRN), a collaboration of government and veterinary diagnostic laboratories, continue to investigate this potential association. Based on the data collected and analyzed thus far, the agency believes that the potential association between diet and DCM in dogs is a complex scientific issue that may involve multiple factors.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.