What is the best dry food for active Dobermans?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition What is the best dry food for active Dobermans?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    doberdog
    Participant

I have 3 dobies between the ages of 1 to 2 years old. I have been feeding Blue Buffalo Life Protection Large Breed. To date we have had no problems but wondered what other foods you may be feeding to your active adult dobies?

#15457 Report Abuse

HI doberdog-

It really depends on the dog. My crew eats a variety of foods, and right now the dobers are eating Victor Ultra Pro-grain free and doing well on it so far. I will wait another week or two before deciding how well as they slow transition. They have eaten many foods in the past, and typically seemed to do better with a grain inclusive.

#15481 Report Abuse
    doberdog
    Participant

Thanks for your reply! I welcome any other thoughts on feeding large active dogs!

#15483 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I don’t have dobermans, but I have “large active dogs” (3 bloodhounds). I’ve found they do best on a high protein, moderate/high fat, low carb raw diet without grains or starches. Their meals average around 50% protein and 35% fat. They seem to maintain their weight better with higher fat levels.

#15485 Report Abuse
    doberdog
    Participant

Hi Hound Dog Mom!
    Are there particular brands that you prefer? The number of choices is overwhelming and we are trying very hard with these young dogs to give them the best dogfood. We have had other dobies in the past and believe that many of their health problems were related to food. Hence, we are trying to make sure that our babies maintain a healthy weight as well as making sure we don’t give them foods that are “toxic” to their bodies.

#15486 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

If you’re referring to brands of raw, I make my own for my crew so I can be in complete control of quality. If I were to feed a commercial product Answer’s and Aunt Jeni’s would be my top picks.

#15489 Report Abuse
    doberdog
    Participant

Wow! Very impressed you make your own food for 3 dogs. That definately is something I need to consider. Thank you for your commercial suggestions. You have been very helpful!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.