šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Becky H

I currently have been feeding both my dogs Lifes Abundance dry dog food. While the food seems to be very nutritious and was recommended to us by the breeder at this time My veterinarian has recommended that I switch to Royal Canine Prescriptive dry formula for my Golden Retreiver’s skin sensitivities and allergies. While I appreciate that it may be a good dog food the cost is very high and I am not convinced it is my only or best option?

Additionally, I will want to change both of my dogs to the same diet for conveience as well as reducing the temptation for my Golden to endulge in the old formula. My second dog is a toy poodle. I look forward to your feedback?

Bsherrup

• This topic was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Becky H.
    #55362 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Does your vet think it’s a food allergy? The prescription food may be a good option to start trying to figure out what your dog is reacting to. You can put your dog on the prescription food for a few weeks to see if he gets better, then start adding one single ingredient at a time to see if your dog reacts. This way you can figure out what ingredients you need to avoid when looking for a new food. Or you can look for a limited ingredient diet that is very different from your current food and see if he gets better, and then start trying to add ingredients to see if you can learn what your dog is reacting to. Unfortunately, there is no best food when it comes to food allergies, there is only food your dog reacts to and food he doesn’t.

#55453 Report Abuse
    Becky H

Thank you for your input. Which Limited Ingredient Diet is the big question?

#55456 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It depends on what your dog has had in the past. There are a few different companies that do limited ingredient diets. I use mainly Nature’s Variety Instinct LID and Canine Caviar Holistic. There are a few others, but I can’t use them. Hmm, I think if you went to chewy dot com and typed “Limited ingredient diets” into the search box, it would give you several choices. You can look at ingredients on Chewy too.

Take a look at the ingredient list on the old food and try to find one that doesn’t have any of the same food ingredients. When looking for food for my dog, I sat down with ingredient lists of the foods I had tried and a notebook and went over every single food on Chewy. I actually found about 20 foods that my dog can eat. My dog can’t have chicken in any form, grains, tomato, and flax.

#56706 Report Abuse
    Kristin C

Becky- I have one dog who is pretty sensitive, and one who is pretty solid. However, I have noticed they both seem itchy when their food has sweet potato in it. When I omit the sweet potato they don’t seem to itch. Also, I give them each a can of sardines per week. They eat a variety of homemade raw proteins, plus Orijen kibble and freeze dried.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.