🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rudy g

Hello. I could not find a definitive answer to this question. I have a 1year 1month old german shepherd. I had her on blue wilderness for large breeds until she was 8 months old. We then switched her to authority large breed. She has been doing fine so far. No problems at all. I will be getting a wolf shepherd tomorrow. I have been reading good and bad as far as authority is concerned.

Should I leave her on it? What do ya’ll recommend?

What about my wolf shepherd tomorrow, they have him on diamond for large breeds? Recommendations?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thx.

#40686 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Large breed dogs have unique calcium requirements to prevent joint issues. Look under the Diet and Health Issues forum for the thread on Large and Giant Breed Puppy Nutrition and read the first few pages of it. Hound Dog Mom’s newest list of appropriate foods is on page 15.

#40688 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Wolf shepherd as in wolf hybrid? I’ve never owned a hybrid (well, except for my 25% guy, but that hardly counts). But I have friends who raise and train hybrids for pets – they only feed their wolf hybrids a raw diet. They say kibble isn’t good for a Wolfdog at all, especially anything grain-inclusive.

Other than that, definitely check out the large breed thread. Lots of helpful advice on there 🙂

#40737 Report Abuse
    rudy g

Hi. I was wondering something else. Is it ok to add some peas, carrots or any vegetables to the blue wilderness food for my timber/shephard and my GSD?

Also what about cottage cheese?

thx.

#40739 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

For a large breed puppy, you don’t want to mess with the calcium when you are feeding the right food, which BBW isn’t. Too much calcium can cause joints to form too quickly and very poorly. If they are both grown, then no worries. However, one thing to consider with wolf hybrids is that they don’t handle carbs as well as dogs do and adding more carbs to a food may give him problems with digestion. Dogs don’t produce the enzymes necessary to break down plant cell walls, so you may just be wasting your money anyways though, unless the purpose of adding veggies is to add bulk for a dog that needs a diet.

#40751 Report Abuse
    rudy g

Thx for the information. No veggies. My GSD (Khaleesi) is 1 year and 1 month old. My timber wolf shephard is 7 weeks old. You mentioned Blue is not the food you recommend.

What food do yall recommend for both?

The pup came with Diamond for large breed puppies. Is it better?

I also only have a Petsmart in town….what do yall recommend from there?

Any vitamins?

thx.

#40753 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Have you looked at the Large and Giant Breed Puppy Nutrition thread under the Diet and Health Issues forum? Hound Dog Mom has done a lot of research on the issues with feeding LBPs and researched which 4 and 5 star foods are appropriate for them. Her newest list is on page 15 of that thread. I don’t have a Petsmart anywhere around me, so I have no idea what foods they carry.

#40759 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I am not very versed in large breeds, but brands that don’t suck from petsmart (and again, this is just based on BRAND, nothing to do with large breed nutition-though I will type in ones that aren’t grain inclusive as per BC’s comments on wolf hybrids, also which I have no concept of):

Wellness Core
    Nulo
    Castor and Pollux Ultramix
    Freshpet Vital
    Simply Nourish Source

Really the only ones I care about there-and I only feed 1.5 of them. I did however see at my Petsmart the Nature’s Variety Instict (including Raw) were on their way in, so that’s good.

Also-love the name Khaleesi. I have a Daenerys 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.