What dogs eat and what works….informative

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum What dogs eat and what works….informative

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    samlab

First let me begin, this website that Mike Sagman has set up is superb. As you read my experience please don’t get caught in minutia of thought..just read this and hopefully this can and will help others. I love dogs, all dogs…cats too. I have been showing and breeding top Labrador Champions for over 30 years. So with to this I will assume that my input will be really about the large breed dogs and yes you may consider all dogs for that matter. I have tried all of these foods. Many work, some results are ok and others well just didn’t go well. Many dog foods since their really are just a few manufacturers, some are private branded under that specific companies ingredients, for their specific brand. I read many posts about this or that, and raw versus X.Y.Z, form of foods. Every time I try to go to the “other side”, well I end up, rather baffled at the terrible results. Therefore, I will let all of you know, grains, corn, etc. are not the cause of your dogs allergy’s, its all about the genetics. It you have a dog that has allergies, its about, the breeding. Same for cancer in dogs, it could be environmental, but less than 1%. It is indeed genetic. The longest lived dogs in the US have been on the following foods, this is research fact direct from the Doctors that did the research: Purina, Science Diet and Eukanuba Brands. To those that profess to Raw diets and rotating foods I will mention frozen or fresh raw foods (frozen still has salmonella once defrosted and eaten) is well your on your own. Rotating foods is not good either as it completely screws up the stomach and intestinal flora in a dogs digestive tract. No your not going to get good advice from the local specialty food store as these people have no idea about the foods they sell. Zero. Every dog is different and you will need to find out what works best for your dog…I will now share what typically works for Large Breeds and especially Labradors Retrievers and many others. But beforehand I will explain. I just went with another brand of puppy food T.O.T.W. over time it did not go well..at five months old and recently the same bag, the last 1.5 weeks, it reared its ugly head. Not Giardia either. I switched that 47lb boy straight onto Eukanuba Puppy Large breed yesterday, problem over best stool in his life so far. As I write this 1X more this morning per wife, that one perfect too. Grain free is not always the best way to go…..its really marketing b.s. and has always been. Even I get lectured by the top show Veterinarians! This is not knocking you or any other brand that works for you…but the finest show stock in the US are all on those three major brands above…blue buffalo duck and potato limited ingredient, grain free may be your best bet for skin allergy issue dogs. Also chopped or baby carrots, blueberry’s, strawberries, cantaloupe and even watermelon are fat free treats that dogs love too. Will add for those following: Especially Labs and watch their weight…for older dogs drop to 28% or then even lower 26%.. the in their prime Eukanuba 30/20 add 1/2 tablespoon each of Nupro Gold Label Supplement/ and then both of each the Silver Label Container for older dogs for arthritis with 1 tablet both meals of Cosequin tablets (250 count Bottles) its the a show/wellbeing secret obviously now for all of you. Also for my older dogs they get Dumor white 5 lb container with red lid a 1/2 teaspoon of MSM at Tractor supply or online (this brand only, measuring cup is inside, use the lower line mark on the measuring cup) some warm water mixed in morning meal only and boom in two weeks your going to be very happy indeed. Also for those that have a dog with surgery the MSM will heal them in two weeks and fur already growing back. The Vet will give you a strange look on the follow up…I assure you they will give you a weird look and be thinking boy this dog heals fast. Then you say its the MSM and he/she will laugh of course and say “I shoulda known”. Then they will know your in touch with the knowing. All the best always to everyone here and I hope this helps anyone that can use this information.

• This topic was modified 7 years ago by samlab.
    #95633 Report Abuse
    Jane E

I always enjoy advice from someone who’s been in dogs for years.I raised Poodles for many years and always used Eukanuba with great results…I’d add tuna packed in oil and some hard boiled eggs when I needed a little something extra when growing show coat. I used calf manna when a bitch was nursing…they never ever lost coat quality. Over time and then changing breed (to Boxers) and discovering that so much of the time the Boxers had “sensitive stomachs” for a myriad of reasons I changed how I fed. I began home cooking,went to grain free dog foods when they first hit the market (I used to meet the Innova distributor in our area in parking lots at night to buy in bulk).I bought Solid Gold dog food by the pallet. I bought a commercial meat grinder and made my own raw food. I joined co-ops to be able to feed more economically. You name it and I have done it. Right now I have 2 dogs in the house ,an older UK import Boxer and a Brussels Griffon rescue and they each eat something different and I just shake my head. I remember when things were not this complicated and much of the time I wonder if they have to be. Your post is making me stop and do a reset. Thank you for that. Could you provide a link for the Dumor product you refer to? I have Googled it and cannot find anything that matches your specific description.May I ask what your Labs typically succumb (COD) to and at what age as a rule? Dumor white 5 lb container with red lid is what I am asking to see a link for.
    Thanks again for your years of experience. I agree that genetics play a huge part in health or lack thereof

#95746 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Jane: it’s DuMor joint supplement, available at Tractorr supply & probably elsewhere

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.