šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Debbie W

Our 6 month German Shepard scratches frequently around the chest and neck area, yet we can’t find any sores or rashes. She also nibbles on her legs and rump areas. What are some common reasons for frequent scratching? Is there a puppy food that addresses dry, itchy skin, which is our first idea for her ailment?

#82226 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Food sensitivities (food allergies are rare) usually result in GI disturbances, such as vomiting and diarrhea, not pruritus.

In my opinion, a visit to the vet is in order. There are a variety of things that could cause the symptoms you have described. Only a veterinarian that has examined your dog and has done some testing can diagnose.

Use the search engine here and look up “allergies” you may find some helpful information.

#82231 Report Abuse
    Juanita B

Go to AllergicPet.com A lot of positive results for all types of issues. I use the oil and spray on my dog and it helps but I just use it on his paws. There is also a powder to put in the food. Review. You might like it. All natural ingredients.

The allergies are not the food but the protein in the food. The brand also makes a difference. A dog may be allergic to one protein and not allergic to another protein in another brand depending on the combination of ingredients and other proteins interacting with each other. A neighbor of mine uses Zignature for her dog. The only thing I do not like about Zignature is although it stops the itching and there are no synthetic vitamins it appears it doesn’t have all the necessary nutrients in it but I might be wrong. The allergies could be environmental too. My dog is itching a lot this time because he keeps laying by the heater and maybe he has dry skin. I purchased Furminator itch relief shampoo; other than mild surfactants it has all natural ingredients. I also put a Furminator (all natural) conditioner on it afterward. It is not a cure but it helps. There is also tearless puppy shampoo. There are no parabens and no chemical dyes and is made in the United States. Go to furminator.com or amazon.com. Maybe chewy.com sells it too. I get mine from PetSmart.

#82242 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi Juanita- “The only thing I do not like about Zignature is although it stops the itching and there are no synthetic vitamins it appears it doesnā€™t have all the necessary nutrients in it but I might be wrong.”

Zignature does use a premade synthetic vitamin pack. There are only 2 food brands (dry kibble) on the market that don’t- one is Nature’s Logic and the other is Carna4. Also Zignature is a complete and balanced food, so it does have the necessary nutrients.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Pitlove.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Pitlove.
    #82319 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Dermatology – Common Issues

“Atopic dermatitis is a hypersensitivity or over-reaction to a variety of commonplace and otherwise harmless substances in the environment such as plant pollens, house dust mites or mold spores. Most pets with atopic dermatitis either inhale or absorb their allergens through their skin. Allergy tests are used to identify what a pet is allergic to in their environment”.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.