šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Steven B

My Brittany puppy of 7 months was raised on Eukanuba puppy growth kibble. Friends began to bug me that it wasn’t the best food, so I joined DogFoodAdvisor and have begun switching to Wellness complete puppy growth. Now my pup has diarrhea. Any advice out there?

#67316 Report Abuse
    Laura M

When I got my puppy a few years ago he was on Diamond puppy and I wanted him on a better food as well. I gradually switched him over to Fromm Chicken and what a disaster. Raging diarrhea. My vet suggested the Iams Low Residue and some flagyl, which did clear it up but I didn’t want to keep him on the Iams – horrible ingredients not to mention it costs an arm and a leg. We had lots of boiled hamburger and rice as well. Finally I switched him over to Natural Balance LID Lamb and he tolerated that but the protein/fat was not what I wanted because he is a hunting dog and needed more. I am happy to say I have him on Orijen for some time now and he is doing very well at 2 and a half, but it was a long, messy road. I think some of the better foods are a bit rich for some puppies – not that they are not good quality food. Maybe try something really simple like I did and then gradually get him on what you prefer. Good luck.

#67317 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

It sometimes takes a bit to switch, especially if the dog isn’t used to it. I would probably go back to the Eukanuba until everything is firmed up, and use a bit of pumpkin with each meal as well. Once that’s good to go, try a transitional food-something in between Eukanuba and Wellness. My recommendation for that is usually Precise, and I’ve seen people suggest Nutrisource as well. Once you’ve transitioned to that, then go for Wellness or another 4.5-5 star food if that is your target. Once your dog is used to transition you should be able to do it seamlessly. For example, I switch foods every bag cold turkey, no issues. Some even do every meal

#67318 Report Abuse
    Steven B

Thanks so much for the advice and info. I really appreciate it. I will try what you suggest!

#67319 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Nice to see another brittany owner!

#67389 Report Abuse
    Jan P

I have a 7 year old Australian Shepard who has been on Eukanuba most of her life. Another company purchased Eukanuba and she is not responding well to the food for some reason. I noticed you recommended Precise and the Nutrisource before transitioning to Wellness. Thinking about following your advice but neither Precise or Nutrisource is on the Editor’s Choice Brands for Feb. 2015. I am of new member as of a few minutes ago so new to this. Tell me more so I can get started in the right direction.

#67391 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Not on editor’s choice, no, but as a company, I think Precise is really solid. I haven’t ever used anything but the Nutrisource company, but based on the people here that recommend it, I wouldn’t be afraid to.

Personally, Precise is too low in protein for my liking to feed long term, so I don’t usually use it for anything more than transitional purposes, but they are a family owned company, they have their own manufacturing plant, and no recalls.

#67396 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I second aquariangt’s comments and Precise recommendation. I’ve used it, Sensicare in particular, myself as well for my dog with food intolerances. It’s a solid company and solid food. I’m also one of those that frequently recommends NutriSource. I’d use either with confidence.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.