šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Vianca V

I have a 8lb pekingese and pretty soon she will be transitioning from her puppy to adult food, currently she is on Wellness Small Breed Puppy, but I cant deciede between Wellness Small Breed Adult or Wellness Core Original. What are your opinions between either? My concerns are the fact that the main Ingre. is Chicken rather Turkey and the protein level is much higher on the Wellness Core Original.

#50875 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Vianca –

The CORE Small Breed and CORE Original formulas have the same first three ingredients “Deboned Turkey, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal” – so they are both turkey-based formulas. All other ingredients are, for the most part, pretty similar as well. The quantities must have some slight differences though as the Small Breed formula is a 2% higher in protein.

Personally if it were me and I intended on keeping my dog on the Wellness CORE line only, I would rotate between the Small Breed, Ocean and Wild Game formulas to give my dog some variety. It would be even better if you rotated in some other brands as well. For this reason, I really wouldn’t stress too much about which specific formula to go with because you should be rotating formulas regardless.

One other consideration may be kibble size. Some small dogs don’t seem to like eating larger kibble, if this is the case with your dog your options may be more limited.

#50880 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Vianca,

Just to be sure I’m understanding, you’re trying to decide between the grain inclusive Small Breed Adult and the grain free Small Breed Core, right?

I think Wellness products are great and have used the Small Breed Core in my Cavalier’s rotation. She loves it and does very well on it. The kibble size is great for a smaller dog. It’s sort of a flat triangular shape that’s thinner than the other Core products. I’m always amazed at how good she looks when she eats it – even the whites of her eyes become clearer.

That said, I still don’t feed it to her exclusively, because I feel a rotational diet is better and healthier for her. She’s actually eating a Fromm grain inclusive formula currently and is doing well on it also and I have a Wellness grain inclusive formulas on deck to try soon. I feed her lots of different brands as well as raw and dehydrated foods. Variety cancels out my worry of any nutritional inadequacies any one food I feed may have.

So, if I were you, I’d choose both!

#50881 Report Abuse
    Vianca V

Yes, when I spoke about the Small Breed formula I was referring to the Complete Health Small Breed (with Grains). I was however somewhat confused

#50883 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Some dogs do well on some grains and others don’t. Maybe since she’s been eating grain inclusive food, try the Core first and see what you think. : )

#50887 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

My bad – I thought you were trying to decide between Wellness CORE Original and Wellness CORE Small Breed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.