šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    joanne l

Hi I was just wondering what people think about wellness anymore? I don’t feed it now but I have a few years ago and the dog hated it but he did fine up until a year and a half ago with inconsistent stools and I heard that now have co packers. Like I said I don’t feed it anymore but I wanted to know everyone’s in put on it. I fell as though they went down hill not to mention my dog hated it. Well anyway I just bought a bag of old mother Hubbard biscuits to try and again my dog don’t even like these and I think they are a wellness product and it says made in Canada? I don’t think I will buy them again either.

#126417 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi,

“Wellpet” makes
    Wellness, Holistic Select, Eagle Pack.

Have a looked at “Eagle Pack Large Breed/Giant breed Adult or the “Lamb Meal & Brown Rice” Adult, these formula’s are always sold out here in Australia.. especially the Lamb Meal & Brown Rice.
    http://www.eaglepack.com/product-dog.aspx#.W-ohMfZuI5s

“Wellness Core Large Breed” Adult saved Patches life back in March when he became very unwell, very thin, bad acid reflux, I nilly put him to sleep …

Wellness Core Large Breed was the only dry food that agreed with him at the time, I had given up, I tried every dry food that “I thought would agree with him” grain formula’s caused diarrhea no acid reflux šŸ™
    he couldn’t eat low fat wet can vet diets made his acid worse same with home cooked food, he’d regurgate making his acid reflux worse…

When Patch is sick sad etc I always take him for a drive to make him feel better & forget he’s unwell, wind in his face, he loves shopping at Pet Shops or human shops, meeting people & their dogs, this day we went to the closest Pet Barn store, the manager came up to Patch to say hello & I told him I dont know what to do anymore, his IBD vet can’t help him, his Sphincter Flap isnt closing properly & there’s nothing the vet can do no more, the Pet Barn manager said, have I tried raw diet, I said he cant hold down no wet foods, then he said, he has had good results with Wellness Core dry foods, I said, but isn’t Wellness Core formula’s high in protein & fat? Patch cant eat over 30% protein, (I dont know why I thought this?? probably read he needs to feed lower protein diet)
    then the man said yes thats what he needs a higher meat protein & lower carb diet & he said give the Wellness Core Large Breed formula a try, it isnt high in fat, its high in meat protein, so I read the Wellness Core L/B kibble bag & it said 12%min-fat, 34% -protein, he said this is probably Patches problem he’s eating low fat & low protein = high carbs causing more acid reflux…
    I said, how do you know about acid reflux, he wasnt old maybe in his 30’s, he turn around & said I suffer with GERD & Hiatus Hernia, I’ve just come out of hospital, I normally don’t work at this store, I work Central Coast store, when I’m better I’ll be back at my regular store..
    I believe in Angels & there’s human angels that guide us thru life when we need help, showing us the way & Patch has had few Angels along the way that have help him, the man gave Patch the 6kg bag for 1/2 the recommended price & said if I have “any” problems bring it straight back & we’ll try something else or give you a refund, as I was walking out to my car to open the back section so he could put the bag of kibble in car, I thought to myself we’ll be coming back next week you watch, but we didn’t, Patch got better, he started playing, he was his happy self again saying hello to everyone, wanted to go on his walks, I couldnt believe it, I had my old Patch back. His vets couldnt believe it either..
    He just had 5 weird looking wort like lumps removed from the sides of his back right & left legs, stomach & ear & they were all benign…He’s a lucky boy..

Depends which Wellness Formula your dog was eating at the time, was he unwell, this could be why he didnt want to eat it or it was making him unwell so he wasnt keen on eating it?
    Purina, Hills & Royal Canine spray their dry foods with flavouring, Wellness kibbles are sprayed with Probiotics, so some dogs mighten like the smell they might be use to the flavouring spray.

Years ago Patch didn’t do well on the Wellness Complete Health Whitefish & Sweet Potato Barley formula, he cant eat barley causes yellow smelly sloppy poos then diarrhea.
    He didnt do well on the Wellness Simple, Duck Meal & Oatmeal & the Lamb Meal & Oatmeal formula’s caused yellow sloppy smelly poos..

Wellness have brought out a new cheaper grain formula called “Wellness Healthy Balance” dry but it isnt on the Wellness site yet.
    https://www.petbarn.com.au/dogs/dog-food-dry/by/brand/wellness-healthy-balance/

Take back the Old Mother Hubbard Biscuits.
    https://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/about-us.aspx

#126418 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi,

“Wellpet” makes
    Wellness, Holistic Select, Eagle Pack.

Have a looked at “Eagle Pack Large Breed/Giant breed Adult or the “Lamb Meal & Brown Rice” Adult, these formula’s are always sold out here in Australia.. especially the Lamb Meal & Brown Rice.
    http://www.eaglepack.com/product-dog.aspx#.W-ohMfZuI5s

“Wellness Core Large Breed” Adult saved Patches life back in March when he became very unwell, very thin, bad acid reflux, I nilly put him to sleep …

Wellness Core Large Breed was the only dry food that agreed with him at the time, I had given up, I tried every dry food that “I thought would agree with him” grain formula’s caused diarrhea no acid reflux šŸ™
    he couldn’t eat low fat wet can vet diets made his acid worse same with home cooked food, he’d regurgate making his acid reflux worse…

When Patch is sick sad etc I always take him for a drive to make him feel better & forget he’s unwell, wind in his face, he loves shopping at Pet Shops or human shops, meeting people & their dogs, this day we went to the closest Pet Barn store, the manager came up to Patch to say hello & I told him I dont know what to do anymore, his IBD vet can’t help him, his Sphincter Flap isnt closing properly & there’s nothing the vet can do no more, the Pet Barn manager said, have I tried raw diet, I said he cant hold down no wet foods, then he said, he has had good results with Wellness Core dry foods, I said, but isn’t Wellness Core formula’s high in protein & fat? Patch cant eat over 30% protein, (I dont know why I thought this?? I probably read somewhere he needs a lower protein diet)
    then the man said yes thats what he needs a higher meat protein & lower carb diet & he said give the Wellness Core Large Breed formula a try, it isnt high in fat, its high in meat protein, so I read the Wellness Core L/B kibble bag & it said 12%min-fat, 34% -protein, he said this is probably Patches problem he’s eating low fat & low protein = high carbs causing more acid reflux…
    I said, how do you know about acid reflux, he wasnt old maybe in his 30’s, he turn around & said I suffer with GERD & Hiatus Hernia, I’ve just come out of hospital, I normally don’t work at this store, I work Central Coast store, when I’m better I’ll be back at my regular store..
    I believe in Angels & there’s human angels that guide us thru life when we need help, showing us the way & Patch has had few Angels along the way that have help him, the man gave Patch the 6kg bag for 1/2 the recommended price & said if I have “any” problems bring it straight back & we’ll try something else or give you a refund, as I was walking out to my car to open the back section so he could put the bag of kibble in car, I thought to myself we’ll be coming back next week you watch, but we didn’t, Patch got better, he started playing, he was his happy self again saying hello to everyone, wanted to go on his walks, I couldnt believe it, I had my old Patch back. His vets couldnt believe it either..
    He just had 5 weird looking wort like lumps removed from the sides of his back right & left legs, stomach & ear & they were all benign…He’s a lucky boy..

Depends which Wellness Formula your dog was eating at the time, was he unwell, this could be why he didnt want to eat it or it was making him unwell so he wasnt keen on eating it?
    Purina, Hills & Royal Canine spray their dry foods with flavouring, Wellness kibbles are sprayed with Probiotics, so some dogs mighten like the smell they might be use to the flavouring spray.

Years ago Patch didn’t do well on the Wellness Complete Health Whitefish & Sweet Potato Barley formula, he cant eat barley causes yellow smelly sloppy poos then diarrhea.
    He didnt do well on the Wellness Simple, Duck Meal & Oatmeal & the Lamb Meal & Oatmeal formula’s caused yellow sloppy smelly poos..

Wellness have brought out a new cheaper grain formula called “Wellness Healthy Balance” dry but it isnt on the Wellness site yet.
    https://www.petbarn.com.au/dogs/dog-food-dry/by/brand/wellness-healthy-balance/

Take back the Old Mother Hubbard Biscuits exchange them.
    https://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/about-us.aspx

#126562 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Hi Susan for me wellness is not the same I had trouble with inconsistency. But before that my dog did do well on it then.

#126599 Report Abuse
    Ana C

Everyone is telling me Wellness has good products. One of my dogs has episodes of pancreatitis and the other one needs lose some weight. So I tried Wellness Core Reduced Fat formula just to give them a break from Annamaet Lean. I must said I didnā€™t noticed much difference. However, I decided to stop using Wellness Core after I read a report stating this product has higher rating in heavy metal and containment & lower rating in purity. I thought there are so many dog food on the market. Why take a risk?

#126600 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Hi Ana I remember that yes you are right I forgot about that but I don’t use it anymore. However, there has been times were a couple of batches were different in color and not only that the dog knew it too, because he won’t touch it. Dogs noses are very very keen and when you notice a difference by looking and they notice a difference by smelling that’s enough for me to say something is not right. So that’s what we experienced with wellness a year and a half ago. Then I read that wellness uses co-packers occasionally when they are backed up, so that sums its up. They have gotten so big they probably can’t do it all themselves so that’s when co-packers come in. If that happens consistency can vary.

#126663 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Ana,

I think your talking about Wellness “FISH” formula’s being high in Toxins, not all off the Wellness formula’s are high in Toxins & Contaminates…
    There’s a “few” Brands that have FISH formulas that are also “VERY” high in Toxins, Contaminates & Heavy Metals, the Annamaet Lean has Herring fish meal in it, so chances are it will also be higher in Toxin & Contaminates then one of Annamaet other formula’s, also Annamaet Lean is very high in legumes, best not to feed no more then 20% Legumes when feeding a dry kibble….

There’s a heap of different “Fish” brands that have or are on the high toxin list it doesn’t mean all their formula’s are bad…
    Earthborn Holistic, Fromm, TOTW, Purina Sensitive Stomach Salmon, Acana, Orijen, Racheal Ray, Halo, Diamond, Nutro, Natures Variety, Nulo, American Journey,Go, Open farm, Ol’ Roy, Kibbles N Bits the list goes on & on..

If your dogs can be feed home made raw or home cooked balanced diets this would be heaps better then feeding these dry processed kibbles or try & feed less dry kibble & more healthy ingredients, eggs, tin salmon, boiled sweet potatoes & fresh blended or cooked veggies etc there’s a really good video in the “Life With Dogs & Cats” group I’ve posted link below, feeding dogs fresh raw blended or cooked Veggies, vegetable fibers are more healthy for gut, the Video is called “Dont forget to feed your Veggies” & has Dr Jean Dobbs on the Video, really good information..
    also reducing some of your dog dry kibble & replacing with healthy Green & Orange veggies will help lose some weight..lower your dogs carbs the Annamaet Lean formula has 50% carbs..

If you feed a dry kibble then it’s best to rotate between a few different brands that agree with your dogs, so if 1 of the dry foods you’re feeding is high in heavy metals, or not balanced properly, or is high in Legumes, your dog isn’t just eating this 1 brand of dry dog food 24/7, year after year…
    I stick with feeding dry dog foods that are grain free & have white meats, Turkey, Pork & Chicken, these meats seem to be cleaner then fish, thats if the pet companies have a good suppliers….
    Mycotoxins are poisonous chemical compounds produced by certain fungi found in grains,
    so it’s not just the meats that have toxins, heavy metals, so when I see a brand that is Turkey or Chicken formula high on the toxin list & it has grains, I think Mycotoxins & Roundup
    could be the reason why this chicken or turkey formula is high on the Toxin & Contaminates list… http://www.fao.org/wairdocs/x5008e/x5008e01.htm

DFA doesn’t believe in these testing & blocks the name of company & any links to this company that does the studies. I think its good this company is testing 299 most popular dog/cat foods & treats, its making these pet food companies clean up their act, keeps them on their toes.
    DFA writes about it this company on the Orijen Review section. /dog-food-reviews/orijen-dog-food-usa/

We have just had another recall in Australia “Black Hawk” Salmon formula made by NZ Masterpet food company have admitted they change Fish suppliers, (probably went with a cheaper fish suplier) then all these poor dogs became very unwell, “Advance” Dermcare was using Tuna & a heap of dogs died Nov-2017 to March-2018 the surviving dogs all have Mega Eosphagus & little quality of life..

Join this new facebook group
    “Life with Dogs and Cats” – Health, Training & Research
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/lifewithdogsandcats/?ref=direct

It’s run by Dr Karen Becker, Susan Garrett & Rodney Habib & a few other people, group started about 3 weeks ago & already it has 5700 people, there’s a couple excellent video to watch, also on Planet Paws f/b page & Rodney Habib f/b page..
    One video is about the latest UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicineā€™s latest study: on Limited Ingredient/Allergy Diets, so Karen Becker & Rodney bought a few popular LID dog foods & had ingredients tested & “Natural Balance” Bison formula was “not” Bison meat, it was Beef, Horse, Pork, Goat, Lamb ot had every red meat in it….
    Video is called “False Hope of Limited Ingredient & Allergy Diet” – video..

#126678 Report Abuse
    Alice B

Does anyone know if Wellness complete health Turkey & Oatmeal Small Breed kibble is safe from toxins, Can I feed Small Breed kibble every day

#126783 Report Abuse
    Ana C

It is Wellness Core Grain Free Reduced Fat formula that I was talking about.

I know Annamaet has high carbs. I use 50% of Annamaet Lean kibbles as the base and rotate adding homecook fish, organic chicken, beef liver, eggs, fresh vegetables, and filtered warm water to the kibbles. I am still looking for other low fat kibbles to rotate, but have not be able to find any good one yet. Any suggestions? I am leaning towards Canadian made kibbles.

Your correct. Itā€™s not just the fish has the high toxins. I read somewhere that even human grade rice, oats, grits… are high in arsenic.

Itā€™s insane that we canā€™t trust the ingredients of the dog food. I feel like we are just waiting for next recall to happen any day now, and thatā€™s already too late and after the fact.

#126785 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Ana,

I know what you ment but I never saw the Wellness Reduced fat formula get 1 star for being high in toxins?? I know the Wellness Fish formulas got 1 star about 4months ago but a new list comes out every 3 months & so the toxin list changes.
    This is why I think DFA doesnt believe this testing is accurate as there’s always new batches being made & the next batch is OK when tested but last year I seen certain brands & their formula’s NOT Wellness stay on the 1 star section on the last page for over 1 yr..
    1 brand has been removed probably cause of court case, but there’s still a few brand formula’s still getting 1 star, so these pet food companies dont care & are staying with the bad suppliers…
    It’s awful, we pay good money & cant trust what we are feeding our sick pets..

Have you looked at “Farmina”
    Farmina is made in Italy & suppose to be very good… alot of people who are changing from grain free to grain formula’s & do not want to feed Hills, Purina or Royal Canine are all feeding Farmina & it’s been sold out the last 2 months but another Farmina shipment was suppose to be in US now mid November a lady said….

Here’s 3 low fat formula’s.. But I dont know how high fat you can go up too?? depends why your dog got his/her Pancreatitis is Acute Pancreatitis & or Chronic Pancreatitis?

* Farmina N & D Light Mini Chicken & Pomegranate
    https://www.farmina.com/us/eshop/dog-food/n&d-ancestral-grain-canine/112-chicken-&-pomegranate-light-mini-&-medium.html

*Farmina N & D Quiona Digestion Lamb formula & the N & D Quiona Weight Management Lamb formula.
    There’s a few different Farmina formula’s, look up to your right, you’ll see “Vet Life” & 3 other Farmina formula’s, its a bit confusing. there is a grain free range but its high in fat, I cant find it now it comes & goes..
    Here’s more low fat formula’s I found, I wish I could try Farmina…
    yes if you can buy Canadian made the change to a Canadian brand if you can.
    https://www.farmina.com/us/eshop-dog/dog-food/54-n&d-quinoa-functional-canine.html

#127111 Report Abuse
    Ana C

Hi Susan,

Wellness Core Reduced fat formula has overall rating of 3/5. It has 3/5 in heavy metal, and 1/5 in process and by-product containmination. Itā€™s not so great. There must be something better than that that I can use to rotate. I can deal with low ingredient quality by adding human grade or organic food to the base, but there is nothing I can do with the heavy metal and the contamination.

I know many people donā€™t believe the test. As far as I am concern, there is nothing to lose by not using those products.

I am looking for something with fat content less than 12% fat. I believed Farmina is around 16%. Thank you though.

#127112 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Ana,
    At the moment I’m rotating & feeding “Canidae Pure Meadow” formula, the fat is
    10.80%max high in omega oils for skin, coat & bones. I got this bag for free from Canidae, I had brought their All Life Stages Platinum kibble about 1 month ago, years ago Patch did OK on Canidae ALS Platinum dry grain formula but not this time his poos were awful, when I contacted the online pet store to change they wanted me to send back the 13kg bag of kibble, it would have cost me an arm & a leg to send it back to the online store also it was in another state, postage is dear in Australia, so I contacted Canidae I told the lady what had happened & Canidae replaced with something else (Pure Meadow) that I knew agreed with Patch, Canidae are pretty good… & I donated the big bag of Platinum kibble to local rescue group, some lucky dog would be happy, better then eating supermarket dry food..
    https://www.canidae.com/dog-food/products/canidae-grain-free-pure-meadow-dry-formula

I always contact the pet food companies to get the max fat %..
    To my knowledge I’ve never seen any of Canidae formula’s on the 1 star heavy metal/toxins & contaminates section, in the beginning when the toxin/heavy metal study first came out Canidae had a few 5 star formula’s, Patch seems to do really well on the Canidae kibbles, their CANIDAEĀ® Grain Free PURE PetiteĀ® Small Breed Chicken With Real Chicken Dry Raw Coated Formula & the Salmon formula both are 12%min fat, you’d have to email Canidae for max fat % when I’ve emailed Canidae for max fat% its never much more when its white meat formula’s…
    https://www.canidae.com/dog-food/products/canidae-grain-free-pure-petite-raw-coated-dry-formula-with-real-chicken

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.