šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sarah H

I am getting an 8 week old Shih Tzu Puppy in a couple weeks. I have been reading a lot of reviews and I am torn between Blue Buffalo and Wellness. Any opinions? They both make Small Breed Puppy food in dry and Puppy food (not size specific) in wet. I realize there are some super premium brands with somewhat higher ratings but if I am going to stick to one brand I prefer to go with something I know I can find at Petsmart. I feed my cat some of these super premium brands which I buy at the smaller stores, in addition to the brands I buy at Petsmart, but I understand that puppies should stick to one brand. The breeders currently feed the puppies Purina Puppy Chow (yuck) and Mighty Dog (double yuck), so I know I will have to introduce the new food gradually. Also, should I stick to a puppy food for the wet food or is a small breed adult wet food OK? Also what size portion of wet/dry food for an 8 week old puppy? I have read that before 3 months old they should free feed the dry food and have wet food at meal times. Thanks in advance!

#80945 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Hmmm, I would go with Wellness. I would do a combination of wet and dry food, I might even add a splash of water. I respectfully disagree with your breeder, I would not free feed. I would give a puppy 3 or 4 small meals per day, by the time the pup is 6-7 months old I would be feeding 2 meals per day, measured amounts. Maybe an occasional bite for a snack for training purposes.
    See general guidelines for tips: http://www.homeovet.net/dynamic/php/downloads/dog-c8470f2c75dbe4b683205c3919ee2310/dog_diet_complete.pdf

#80947 Report Abuse
    Sarah H

Thank you – it was actually not the breeder that recommended we free feed. I read it somewhere on a puppy care site (or maybe in a book I have on puppy care) that they should free feed until 3 months and then do 3-4 meals. It might have been specific to the Shih Tzu puppies because they are so small. Of course I have no idea now where I read it!

#80949 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I have owned a shih Tzu or 2, in my experience, puppies will eat till they vomit if you let them (all puppies).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.