šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    silverleaf

I have heard of a lot of dogs with pancreas problems on Wellness dog foods. Has anyone
    any info on this. Thank you.

#31245 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Thats what I’d like to also know, my boy doesnt have Pancreas but if it wasnt for his blood test coming back good, Id swear he had Pancreatitis, instead the vet said he has IBD & Colitis & Canin Atopy… Ive been looking & looking on the net for a low fat, low fiber premium food, the foods I like are in America, L.I.D Natural Balance & Canidae.. Im in Australia & cant get them.. So Ive come up with 2 that I really think are good..The Wellness Core Oringinal but the protien is 34% fiber-4% FAT-16% Wellness also have “Simple’or “complete Health” also Well Pet the company that makes Wellness also makes another kibble ‘Holistic Select’ Duck meal… Ive read & read all their ingredients & I like the ‘Wellness’ Core or the ‘Holistic Select’ Duck formula as the Holistic Select duck is only 13%-fat-3.9% fiber.. I suppose we’ll just have to slowley introduce one of the kibbles & pray that our dogs tummys & bowels also like what we have picked for them..Ive read that the food is very palatable but after my poor boy being on such a stricked diet he’d eat anything….So sad, I wish he could talk for just 20mins & tell me how he’s feeling & what feed makes him feel ill or better.. My Vet likes that his poos are good now but I know the Eukanuba Intestinal that we have him on makes him either feel sick or gives him stomach acid as he sometimes licks & licks his mouth after his kibble in the morning & wants grass & his breath smells like something fermenting. Then some days he doesnt do his licking & his breath smells good..
    Good-Luck

#31262 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi Silverleaf

Some people do use Wellness Core Reduced Fat as a maintenance food after the acute phase of the disease is passed.

#31264 Report Abuse
    silverleaf

My dogs to no have pancreatis, I was just wonderig if anyone had
    had any problems with this while feeding their dogs Wellness Dog Foods.

#31278 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Oh, you mean “Has anyone had a dog get pancreatitis while on Wellness?”

#31313 Report Abuse
    rose

I have had my schnauzer on Wellness Core Original dry dog food for about 9 months and she has had no problems with this food, although I have to give her green veggies, for some reason the dry dog foods out there that are wheat and grain free gives her Colitis. She leaks from her anal glans, when she on wheat & grain free dry dog food. When she was younger I had her on Natural Balance she never had this problem, she is now 2 years old. I have her groomed regularly and her anal glans are expressed. I had to take her to her Vet. to have them expressed again because her glans were full again.

Does anyone know why grain and wheat free dog food would do that?

#31332 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

She may have a food intolerance to an ingredient in the food or she may need more bulk in her diet so that her glands express naturally. Sometimes small dogs just require more fiber in their diets.

#31339 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Rose, Healthy anal glads empty when a dog has a bowel movement. Unfortunately some anal glands dont work as they should because of inherited malformations or cause of a history of poor-quality foods that produce poor quality bowel movements found in alot of rescued dogs. Why did u change from Natural Balance & why is ur dog on a grain free diet some dogs do better on a grain diet while other dogs do better on a grain free diet. With the Wellness Core original the fat is 16% & the protein is 34% fiber 4%..My boy also has colitis & anal gland problem & has to go vets every 2 months to have them expressed. My vet told me with the colitis he needs a lower fat diet maybe the N/B was lower in fat.. I was going to try the Core original as my boy Patch is on a vet diet kibble & I hate the vet diet foods but the fat is only 10% & the fiber is 1.75% Patch also cant have too much fiber, he’s poos are beautiful & we are not waking up thru the nite with a grumbling tummy with the colitis at the moment.. Maybe try a kibble that is lower in fat but u’ll find the fiber will be higher thats the problem I’m having at the moment finding a low fat & fiber kibble, But ur girl mite be able to handle more fiber… I also found another kibble I like Holistic Select Duck the fat is 13% the fiber is 3.9%. made by Well Pet that makes Wellness Core .Im in Australia we dont have the Natural Balance & some of the other American kibbles.. But ur girl might of inherited the anal gland problems next time ask the vet & see what the vet says…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.