šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Steven A

I switched my dogs from RAW diet to Wellness Brand Core Ocean without any problems. They went through 1 12 pound bag and for the most part enjoyed it. I decided to move them to Small Breed Core. I transitioned them from half and half Ocean and Small Breed. After a week they were on 100% Small Bread. That is when the SH*T it the fan literally.
    After three days on Core Small Breed they had the runs bad 6 to 7 Bowel movements a day. All over the house. My poor wife was stuck with the situation while I was out of town. I returned the Small Breed today in exchange for a small bag Ocean and one of Wild Game. They ate a meal of the Ocean although my male is not to fond of it( he liked it at first but now is temperamental with it). He will not finish his dinner. I’m thinking of mixing the Wild Game and Ocean to get him a more palatable combination. For now it’s Ocean and wait and see if they get back to normal.

#40850 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

The Protein is higher in the small breed 36% the ocean is 34% the wild game protein is the same as the ocean 34% maybe that had something to do with the runs, I always look for a kibble that has the same fat % fiber % & protein % with my boy, I like Holistic Select better as their protein fiber & fat the protein is lower then the core, WellPet makes Wellness & the Holistic Select.. I know the holistic Select has a grain in it, rice but I prefer rice over potatos…sometimes these grain free kibble just satisfy the owners & not the dogs…

#40852 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Holistic Select also has oatmeal in it.

#40854 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

I’d rather my dog eat rice & oatmeal then pea protein, potatos, chickpeas, dried ground potato & peas..That’s how they boost up the protein levels with peas, legumes & pea protein. I’d be on the toilet for a week if I ate what was in some grainfree dog kibbles..lol

#40855 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Other than my one dog having food intolerances to those grains, I agree with you. Actually, it still depends on amount, my dog can handle a little bit of the potato, peas, lentils, etc, but not a lot.

#40860 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Paddy, what is a kibble called when it has just 2 grains like the Holistic Select Kibble, is it called holistic, its not called grainfree but its nilly grainfree…

#40868 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Wellness Core Small Breed is also either chicken based or multiple protein based while Core Ocean is just fish, I believe. It could’ve also been related to that….who knows. Also, did you give them the Small Breed Core cold turkey or switch to it gradually? Even though it’s the same brand the makeup of the food is kind of different the regular Core line, so it might have been like switching to a brand new food cold turkey. Just something to ponder.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Mom2Cavs.
    #40876 Report Abuse
    Steven A

I switched them with a 50 50 mix of Ocean and Small Breed for about a week. Then went to the Small Breed. It was definitely food related as both of the dogs suffered from the runs.

#40886 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

It is possible that you got a bad batch. Though Wellness has been great since they separated from Diamond, so I don’t think it’s too high on the list, but it could happen.

Most of the CORE line is chicken and turkey based (usually chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal as the first ingredients). Could be either of those proteins that they don’t do well on, or you went too fast transitioning them, if they aren’t used to getting switched around.

#40908 Report Abuse

Holistic Select does have a grain-free, poultry-free kibble. It is fish-based (salmon, anchovies, and sardines.)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.