šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nancy C

I am having a problem getting weight off my female Lab. I have had her on Blue Buffalo weight control (turkey and potato), but had a salesperson recommend Ideal Balance by Science Diet. Any suggestions?

#81668 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

My suggestions are Annamaet Lean or Wellness Core reduced fat. I would not use what the salesperson recommended, nor the blue.

Good luck!

#83326 Report Abuse
    Robert C

Are you having any success with the weight loss for your lab on the two foods recommended by InkedMarie? I’ve been trying the Natural Balance Fat Dogs dry food which is on the Whole Dog Journal approved list. Not sure it is working yet as we just started a couple of weeks ago. Thanks.

#83508 Report Abuse
    David B

My largish (don’t ask how she got that way – I was new to beagles) beagle mix LOVES to eat ! (no surprise there huh ?) She has lost 8 pounds (52 down to 44) in less than a year, just by feeding her slightly less than her target weight in calories (2 cups/day) of Earthborn Holistic Natural Primitive (grain free) dry food. One good walk every morning. And she is no more hungry between meals than ‘normal’ for beagles; e.g., anyone in the kitchen is her buddy-to-be. But no treats except the very occasional carrot or small piece of meat. I was surprised and gratified with the results. Good luck to you.

#83509 Report Abuse
    David B

Note – when I first discussed the over-weight issue with my vet, he immediately said: “are you feeding her Blue Buffalo ?”. Conclusion: It’s all about the calories in the food…..

#83516 Report Abuse
    Robert C

Thanks for the responses. Our vet said it’s all about calories in versus calories out. Since our lab mix likes to lay in the yard and watch the neighborhood, we are limiting her calorie intake to 700 per day. This includes treats too. See what happens.

#83521 Report Abuse
    David B

RC – have you tried out the Dog Food Calculator on the DFA home page ? According to it my 8 y.o. inactive beagle needs 792 calories/day to maintain 40 pounds. Good luck.

#83747 Report Abuse
    Michael C

Premium Edge Healthy Weight I.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.