🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mavis
    Participant

Hi! This was requested by some people I was chatting with so here goes nothing! 🙂 So if you have not been in on the chat on the review of the Grain Free Merrick Dog Food here is the link I am of course Mavis: /dog-food-reviews/before-grain-dog-food-dry/
    Any way here is some info on my dog Hogan. He is a male German Shephard/ Labrador mix. He weighs around 90-95 lbs. meaning he is around 15- 20 lbs overweight. He is almost 8 years old. This started when I was looking to buy him a better food. I had originally fed him Pedigree. After reading the ingredients and how bad they were I am now on the hunt for a better food. So I need you pet owners to help me come up with a couple weight loss methods and I’ll be very happy to try them out. Just to let you know try and be creative and please no walks/ bike riding, my dog has anxiety and refuses to go too far from the house. Lastly any suggestions on ways to ease his anxiety and help him go a little farther from the house, with him he will not walk if he can’t see the house anymore. Thank you so much!!!
    -Mavis

#24129 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

We adopted an obese dog, she could barely walk so exercise didnt happen. We used Wellness Core reduced fat food

#24134 Report Abuse
    Mavis
    Participant

Interesting, I definitely have thought about getting Wellness. What foods have you tried and which do you recommend?

#24135 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I feed less than the recommended feeding amount on the bag as you can feed less when using a better food. For instance, my old dog food would have me feed 1.75 to 2.5 cups of food but I currently feed 2/3 to 1 cup. And I have lazy indoor dogs. Too hot for going out. They only get exercise from October to April. Have you thought about using a treadmill or do you have a swimming pool?

#24139 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Mavis: I said which one I recommend in my first post: Wellness Core reduced fat.

#24313 Report Abuse
    Mavis
    Participant

Oh sorry InkedMarie!!!!! Sorry it took me so long to reply, school has started and I have reached a new school so it has been really stressful!!!! Anyways what INEXPENSIVE, but very healthy foods can I buy?? I am really on a budget here, I can afford Wellness, Merrick, or Blue.

#24314 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

well, if you can’t afford Wellness then feed less of a high quality food you can afford.

#24319 Report Abuse
    Mavis
    Participant

Ok so I cannot afford the Wellness Super5mix for large breeds because it is about 10 dollars more than the blend for seniors which makes it 60 dollars at my pet store. Any alternatives???

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Mavis.
    #24331 Report Abuse
    Mommadog
    Participant

You can always order online, there is petflow.com, wag.com, chewy.com and some others. Amazon sells the senior for 52.00 with free shipping. Merrick is priced well and is a very good brand. High protein, lower fat. They do have a senior and grain free. I feed my 7 dogs the same food, just less for my 10 year old who is a bit overweight. I am feeding my bunch Holistic select Duck formula right now.

I was feeding precise sensicare )lamb and rice) but even after several months we were having to many poops and loose stool. We are over half way through the Holistic select right now and they are doing so much better on it. But I want to give them something with more protein so I am going to try the Merrick Texas beef and sweet potato and the Pork (all grain free formula’s). My dogs range in age from 4 months up to 10 years.

I personally do not want to feed senior or eight loss formula’s, I am not impressed by any of them. Feeding a high quality higher protein (over 30% from meat) with fat less than 15% and then just give the overweight dogs a bit less is better I think.

http://www.merrickpetcare.com/consumer/products/product.jsp?id=147&page=2&view=list&sort=category_3&order=asc&name=Grain_Free_Real_Texas_Beef_&_Sweet_Potato_Recipe&categories=Dog-Grain%20Free-Dry&age=All_Life_Stages

Karla (AKA Disqus user name Zombie Chick)

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Mommadog.
    #24349 Report Abuse
    Mavis
    Participant

Thanks Mommadog (hope I got your username right, sorry if I didn’t) So I bought Blue Buffalo Life Protection and I top it Blue Wilderness Wet Food. My dog loves it!!!! The wet food gives him a great energy boost! What is your opinion on Blue?

#24547 Report Abuse
    dowsky

ran across this web site. A while ago i discontinued blue buffalo. and was asked why. Some thing in side told me it wasnt the same. Just the comments I was getting from my customers made me uncomfortable. so please if you of any of your friends or family feed Blue Buffalo link on and read this. It blew my mind……….
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/blue_buffalo.html
    359 Complaints and Reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com
    My husband is a research fanatic and we decided on the Blue Buffalo adult chicken and brown rice based on the rave reviews. While our 2 year old lab eats …

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.