Water Additives?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Water Additives?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Shasta220

My older lab gets gunky teeth easily (recently had a dental cleaning + tooth extraction), so I have to keep up on her oral hygiene with brushing, bones, coconut oil, and I like keeping something in her water to help out even more, since she really needs it.

I’m just wondering if any of you have a favorite water additive? I’ve only tried two things so far, an organic one from a specialty store (looooved it, but it’s ONLY at that store, so I doubt I’ll be able to get it again as it was far away), and then I’m on TropiClean right now. I’ll be honest, it doesn’t do much anything :/

Are there any specific ingredients to look for or avoid next time I try finding something?

#36547 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hey Shasta 220. I have to admit that I’ve used quite a few different water additives for my dogs teeth and none of them ever did anything. The only thing I have ever found that helps their teeth is a raw diet and brushing their teeth twice a day. I brush their teeth after their breakfast right after I brush my own after my breakfast and before their bedtime right before I brush mine before my bedtime. I have found that kibble was the worst for their teeth regardless of the fact that the old myth continues that kibble helps with cleaning teeth. Ridiculous.

#36553 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’ve heard of an enzyme spray that is supposed to come from some seaweed that I know someone who swears by it, but I don’t know what it’s called other than I recognize it when I hear it and it’s a spray.

#36554 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

ProDen Plaque Off has the specific seaweed that helps tooth buildup. I gave it to my foster that I had for several months as he was dieting so he could lose enough weight and have a dental, and his rotten breath was actually gone by the time it was time for a dental. I sprinkle it in their food and it’s a very tiny amount. I have bought the oral get but haven’t tried it yet.

#36556 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Clenz a Dent has a water additive/mouth rinse that can be used as a spray on teeth. They also have the sprinkles, chews, etc.

#36560 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Thanks for the help, guys! Ah, yes, Dori. Drives me nuts to see everyone say that kibble cleans teeth. I mean, yeah, it’s probably better than canned, but it still gives gross buildup – if it didn’t, then my dog wouldn’t have lost a tooth! I’d love to do raw, but resources and wallet just don’t allow it.

I’ll definitely check into those brands recommended. Good to know that I’m not the only one who thinks water additives do virtually nothing. The best breath-freshener for my super picky dog (he is DISGUSTED by ANY tooth products, he’s way too smart to fall for that “chicken” flavor, or “flavorless” stuff lol!), was to smash coconut oil into the edge of a bowl and let him lick it off. That way it’d eventually spread all through his mouth; if I’d just let him chew/gulp it down, it wouldn’t have time to get everywhere.

For sure, next time I get a puppy (not seeing that for another 5-10yrs at least), oral hygiene will start right away. My rescue guy has naaasty teeth with strange brown tartar/stains that won’t come off regardless of brushing/scraping. His personality/energy makes him seem about 3y.o., but those teeth look almost as bad as a 7-8y.o. dog…dang I wish I could know about his past LOL!

#37131 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

so glad I found this site, I’m learning so much! Coconut oil for their teeth? The same coconut oil used for cooking? How much do I give him and how? Let him lick it like Shasta220 does? Can I put it on his brush? He doesn’t mind getting his teeth brushed, I’m lucky I guess. Can I offer coconut oil to the cats,too?

#37144 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Jakes Mom. Make sure it’s raw organic coconut oil. It’s very healthy. I’m not sure what type of coconut oil you’re cooking with. The amount to give them daily depends on how much your dog weighs, activity level (I think). I have three toy breeds and I give them approx. 1/4 tsp. per day in their food. I’m allergic to cats so I have absolutely no knowledge or information about cats in any way shape or form. I still brush my three dogs teeth two times a day. I have done that since adopting them at 8 and 9 weeks old. One is 14 1/2 years old (Maltese), I have two 4 1/2 year olds one is a Yorkipoo and one is a Maltipoo. I also feed commercial raw foods twice a day with extras. I have a Maltipoo that has too many allergies, intolerances and environmental issues so I no longer feed kibble ever and right now I can’t feed canned either. All three dogs have bright white teeth all the way back to their molars. None have ever had a professional cleaning.

#37147 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

The first time I bought coconut oil, I made the mistake of buying refined coconut oil. Make sure it’s unrefined coconut oil or it won’t have the same healthful benefits.

#37152 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I would avoid water additives, every one I’ve seen contains things like xylitol, propylene glycol, colorings, other preservatives, etc. etc. Many sprays and dental chews contain similarly poor ingredients so you need to very careful about scanning the label prior to purchasing dental products. Honestly, while these products may provide a small amount of benefit there’s no easy way out when it comes to keeping the teeth clean – you have to brush. I brush my dog’s teeth daily with Vet’s Best dental gel.

#37154 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Jake’s Mom –

The dosage for coconut oil is 1/2 tsp. per 10 lbs. Although it does have some antibacterial properties, just adding it to food isn’t going to do anything for your dog’s dental health. You could certainly use it as an alternative to toothpaste though on a brush if your dog likes the taste. It’s really the mechanical action of brushing that benefits the dog most, what’s on the brush isn’t as important.

#37197 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

thanks everyone. I have a health food store not far from me, I’ll check there for the coconut oil. I’m pretty sure Jake will like it, the only thing I ever offered him that he didn’t want was a piece of celery!

#37913 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I definitely agree w above posts. Brushing is really the only way to physically give that tartar the boot. I adore coconut oil. I avoided it for a while due to price, but I found a HUGE jar (unrefined organic) for only $23 at Costco. I think the brand was Nutiva.

I even use it on myself in a regular oil pulling routine (swishing it in my mouth for 10-20m). I’ve seen people who use it to remove cavities even!

#37914 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Jake’s Mom,

If you order from Swanson, they have excellent prices on all of their products including coconut oil and they have a huge selection: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/q?kw=+coconut+oil.

Swanson has various promos including percentages off when you sign up for emails, BOGO, free shipping for order over a certain amount, etc. They’re an excellent company. I placed a huge order at Christmas and made up baskets of Bob’s Red Mill products (Swanson has a huge selection), dried fruits, other foods and goodies for a few Christmas gifts.

#37915 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Betsy, Swanson is one of my favorites, too! I’m waiting for my shopping cart to reach $50 so I can get free shipping…

#37919 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Betsy:
    What nice Christmas gifts!!! How do I get on your list? lol I don’t know what I am going to do at 9 p.m. on a Sunday with no WD to watch. I guess I’ll give Turn a watch…

#37927 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

LOL! I know Bobby Dog! I was just thinking about that very same thing.

I was out cutting down my ornamental grasses and doing a little mindless Winter clean up since the weather is finally breaking and my mind was wandering. I kept thinking how Sundays will just not been the same for six long months! It’s probably for the best though…, I’ve developed this very weird obsessive crush on Daryl. ; )

#37936 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

thank you Betsy, I will certainly check them out. So glad I found DFA, am learning so much about so many things.

#42019 Report Abuse
    OnyxMom

We brush our 4 month old puppy’s teeth twice a day. His poop is always good, and he has no gas. But, his breath stinks so bad. I am obsessive about doggie smell, and so his fur doesn’t smell at all, but gosh his breath could make a giant swoon. Or, maybe my smell obsession is affecting my perception of how bad his breath is. I really don’t want to give him an additive.

How are enzymatic sprays with the breath issue? Does the coconut oil help with bad breath? I have no idea how to fix this!

#42024 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

OnyxMom…try adding a probiotic/enzyme supplement to his food to see if it helps with the breath. I just adopted another older Cavalier and he will be getting a dental. His breath was stinky when we got him 2 months ago. However, after adding Wholistic Pet Organics digest all plus to his morning and evening meals, his breath doesn’t smell now, even though his dental isn’t scheduled until 6/10.

#42039 Report Abuse
    OnyxMom

Thank you Mom2Cavs! I am ordering it right now on Amazon! 🙂

#105098 Report Abuse
    Scott S

I have an eight-year-old 18 pound mix breed working dog. I’ve been using water additives and she was a puppy. Every year when she goes in for her check ups the vet asked who cleans her teeth! I know, I don’t brush, although my knowledge I should have started doing that years ago.

Have used differing water Additives over the years and I’ve noticed some actually do end that doggy breath smell. As for assessing tartar buildup it’s more difficult to comment on which additive was more effective.

After eight years I’ve never noticed there is a minimal amount of tartar buildup so we’re going to get a professional cleaning.

But my experience with water additives (but I do check the ingredients to make sure there’s no xylitol or other known toxins) is that they absolutely do prevent tartar buildup can be prevent bad breath.

#150346 Report Abuse
    Marcie D

I use a toothbrush and dog enzymatic toothpaste but I am bad and I only brush when we are grooming however I have fed Oma’s pride raw pet diets for over 20 years and my last dogs were 16, never had their teeth cleaned and their teeth were white and breath fresh. I also give raw bones when they are lying around outside. When we are going in I take the bones, wash them off under the hose and put them back in a plastic bag in the freezer. I have an 11 year old mix, 10 year old GSD, 6 year old GSD and all are on raw, get bones occasionally and they all have the same white teeth and great breath. After I learned how to clean their teeth in college for Veterinary technology, I said I would never do that again to my dogs. Sorry Vets, I realize how necessary it is for many dogs but I think I have found a better way, at least for us. 🙂

#150347 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Dental Disease in Dogs and Cats: Does Treatment Improve Health?
    Posted on June 6, 2013 by skeptvet
    A reader recently asked me about the evidence supporting recommended therapy for dental disease in dogs. This is has become a common question given the increasing awareness among pet owners that dental disease is a real and important health problem, … Continue reading →
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2013/06/dental-disease-in-dogs-and-cats-does-treatment-improve-health/
    Posted in Science-Based Veterinary Medicine | 37 Comments

Dry Pet Food and Dental Disease in Dogs and Cats
    Posted on October 17, 2011 by skeptvet
    One of the most common diseases in cats and dogs that I see in practice is dental disease. According to the American Veterinary Dental Society, by three years of age 70-80% of dogs and cats will have signs of oral … Continue reading →
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2011/10/dry-pet-food-and-dental-disease-in-dogs-and-cats/
    Posted in Nutrition | 19 Comments

Healthy Mouth Water Additive: Does It Help Prevent Dental Disease?
    Posted on January 13, 2011 by skeptvet
    I am often asked by clients or readers about specific products, and while I certainly can only investigate a small proportion of all the stuff marketed to pet owners, I try to look at as many of these things as … Continue reading →
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2011/01/healthymouth-water-additive-does-it-help-prevent-dental-disease/
    Posted in Herbs and Supplements | 103 Comments

#150361 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Here’s a nice article presenting a summary of our options for good dental health (and nice breath), pros and cons of each, and the scientific research, from a board certified diplomate of the American Veterinary Dental College:

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/ultimate-guide-veterinary-dental-home-care

I’m using Tropiclean’s gel toothpaste for daily brushing, along with their water additive for added prevention of bacteria, plaque, tartar between brushing and 24 hr fresh breath.

I like the company and the actives have some research to support their efficacy for dental health, breath.

#150362 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Posting this again, as it isn’t showing up (maybe a glitch). If it ends up posting twice, I’m sorry!

Here’s a nice article presenting a summary of our options for good dental health (and nice breath), pros and cons of each, and the scientific research, from a board certified diplomate of the American Veterinary Dental College:

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/ultimate-guide-veterinary-dental-home-care

I’m using Tropiclean’s gel toothpaste for daily brushing, along with their water additive for added prevention of bacteria, plaque, tartar between brushing and 24 hr fresh breath.

I like the company and the actives have some research to support their efficacy for dental health, breath.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.