🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chrissy L

Hello,
    I have a 3yr 120lb Great Dane and a 4yr 8lb Chihuahua, I am wanting to wade into raw feeding instead of jumping headlong, because I’m not sure my dane will like it. He is a bit picky but he has started eating non-food items so the vet said he is lacking something in his diet. I do have access to a butcher, but not game meat. And I dont know what bones are ok for one dog and not the other. I also would rather not feed commercial if possible, I am a stay at home mom and so I have the time to put into whatever prep is needed.

Thanks

#68587 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

I loved the raw frozen beef marrow bones as a treat, once or twice a week for my dogs.
    My medium sized dog is fine with them, however my poodle developed pain and discomfort (nausea, vomiting, shivering), she liked to grind the bone into small fragments and consume…..well x-ray showed calcified material in her stomach and colon. Luckily it passed on it’s own, however if I give this dog a bone, I have to watch her carefully and remove the bone before she gets down to the nitty gritty.
    Proceed with caution.
    PS: I prefer to lightly cook meat, chicken…as I cannot afford fresh killed organic meat.
    I buy from the reduced price section at the local supermarket and often freeze first.
    I had a meat grinder, I recently took it to the Goodwill…not worth the trouble, imo

#68711 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I use ground raw so I won’t be of much help. If you’re on fb, look for some raw feeding groups. There are also non fb raw groups too. I stopped feeding marrow bones as I had a dog crack two teeth & he gnawed on marrow bones & Nylabones; I’ve stopped both. I now use beef rib bones.

#68770 Report Abuse
    Chrissy L

InkedMarie- when you say you feed ground raw do you grind it yourself? Or do you purchase it?

#68808 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hi Chrissy,
    I buy it ground from both Hare Today and Reel Raw Dog.

#68945 Report Abuse
    MaggiesDad

Have a look at http://www.allprovide.com – although a commercial food, it is raw with all natural ingredients and supplements to give your dogs all they need. Its a good place to start whilst you get the hang of DIY 🙂

#68946 Report Abuse
    puppypiles

While generally I agree that starting a commercial raw first is the best idea, it’s pretty cost prohibitive with a dog as large as your. Prey model raw can be done exceedingly cheaply, IF you know what to get and where to look.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.